Game Thread | Pittsburgh vs. Canadiens | 09/17/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So..

Kovalev and our rookies just took down Crosby and his "Stanley Cup Team". I know it is preseason, but that was sweet. Watching them put out their top guys for the two man PP in overtime, then turn into babies when Komi didn't make it pond hockey really made me want to beat them. Watching Kovy school them and then just skate off non-chalantly was sweet...

First Star... Kovalev!

komisaek should get an assist for taking recchi and crosby to the box.. :clap: :hlogo:

I love it. I feel that this year Komi has finally arrived. Strong, confident, hitting like a train, and yapping his mouth all good shit. We nee to start referring to him as THE Komiserik. Nice work boys.

YES !!! Great game, notable youngsters to me were Chipchura and Jorge, Locke seems to be hungrier than I expected. Both goalies were great, interesting battle we have brewing there. Lahti has a good shot....all I can say. Big Kost was great as was Pleks in later game. Milroy also showed he has what it takes and Kosmopolitan is a useful player. Maybe Kovalev will break out this year? Hope so, he sure has the moves still.

Awesome game!

My analysis:

1. Yes there were lots of mistakes made, but hey, we fielded mostly prospects, and this was just the first preseason game of they year. You can't expect eveyone to be sharp.

That being said...

2. Our squad of mostly-prospects beat out the pens' team of mostly-veterans (who some say could be stanley cup contenders) -- i'd say that's a good thing, all things considered

3. Chipchura baby! His lead on the other prospects keeps growing. I think this will be his year.

4. Kovalev -- Oh how great it is to see him play like this. Asside from a couple of giveaways (inherently due to his play style), he had a 3-pt night. Let's hope this is the new and improved Kovalev we're watching here!

5. Komisarek + Markov = wow what a great fit.

Thanks for the great game thread as always Spider. And a great game it was!

But either Carbo just cannot work the refs or they are shaving points against the habs. The refing in overtime was pretty bizarre. Pens go on advantage, more advantage, more advantage. Okay. Then things get ugly and some star Pens throw some shots. No penalties. Then a couple of Pens really say F*** it who cares if I draw a penalty I want to get my shot in and...still no penalty, despite the 2-man advantage.

And then the back ref skated in blowing the whistle because his partner was acting very strangely, and they wrapped it up 3-on-3 and Kovalev scored.

Is it just me or was there a whiff of pro wrestling in the refereeing in tonight's game?

(Not than I'm complaining in any way, it was a hugely entertaining game depsite all the penalties. I just can't leave a good conspiracy theory lying.)

The best thing possible just happenend tonight. Kovy scored in OT, giving Habs the win. He also received the 1rst star. Now, the media will praise Kovy, no trashtalk and bullshit for at least 2 or 3 days...

On another note, i wonder what Esposito was feeling tonight.. playing his first NHL game, and losing, at the bell center in Montreal no less, against the team he was "supposed" to be playing for.

Irony.

Edited by Cataclaw

The best thing possible just happenend tonight. Kovy scored in OT, giving Habs the win. He also received the 1rst star. Now, the media will praise Kovy, no trashtalk and bullshit for at least 2 or 3 days...

...well, at least not until after tomorrow's game.

It's becoming a habit of Crosby to come to Montreal cry a lot, blow the game or end the game in the box and walk away from the Bell Centre losing.

GO HABS GO

That meat head does that all year long and in every city. I have to give him credit though. He pulled some emotion out of our boys and I'm digging that.

That wasn't even our team ..two more squads are raring to go. It's going to be an exciting year. Our kids want to play. I feel sorry for the Leafs. Their old timers won't have the drive this club is going to have.

Komi stood out for me tonight. He is coming into his own. Maybe it's that Yoga guru at work. Can't wait to see what Higgins will be like. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 50 goals for Higgins this year

Komisarek was AWESOME.

Wouldn't it be great to see a guy like him finally taking that extra step and really becoming a force in the league? I'm practically dying for Habs players to really start getting respect, to be known and feared.

Chipchura - I think Carbo has found his ultimate protegé. Based on this one insanely entertaining game :lol: he will be a habs for a long time, I suspect.

As for Crosby...face it, kids, he's a stupendous hockey player and a hell of a battler (notice how he flattened Komi?) and you'd all be absolutely delirious if he wore the CH. He's got all the respect from me that any player's gonna get, and in 30 years, when you're telling your kids about seeing him in action, he'll get the same from you :rolleyes:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Every one needs to calm down a bit. My gosh it was one pre season game.

I'm glad hockey is back.

Kovalev hasn't done anything in like 7 years, again 1 pre season game isn't going to change my mind on him. We'll talk after the season.

Glad to hear Gorges, Chipchura and Kosty also played well.

Glass half full Chris, come on...I'm encouraged by the game.

I loved the way Chips went down the ice killing off the penalty, shooting, getting his rebound and dumping it back to chew up some more time.