Cechmanek traded to KINGS!

puck7x

Guess this rules out any Garon to LA trades (unless of course they wanted him as a backup .... unlikely IMO)

http://sportsnet.ca/nhl/story/105415471772...=10541547177239

Only a 2nd rounder to get him? Sounds like a steal to me , I wouldnt be surprised to see Roman have a great 2003-2004 season in LA. (Although I still think he's a weird styled goalie)

Also now that Cechmanek is gone from Philly who will be the Flyers goaltender? Robert Esche? Unlikely... Will Clarke make a trade? Or sign someone? (Hackett maybe?) ... Maybe the Flyers want Garon? lol

[Edited on 2003/5/28 by puck7x]

I'm stilling hoping that they are in the Brisebois and Perreault sweepstakes to replace Schneider and Smolinski. Remember, the kings are a team that had massive injuries last year-- they are NOT in a rebuilding mode and there will be a lot of pressure on them with the Ducks' success to do well next year. Plus they have all those draft picks to give away.

Brisebois and Perreault to LA for Rasmussen (HA!) plus a first and second-rounder in this year's draft.

I'm stilling hoping that they are in the Brisebois and Perreault sweepstakes to replace Schneider and Smolinski.

They let those guys go because they couldn't afford them... Smolinski made 2.4M last year and Schneider made 3.5M.

Now why would they turn around and sign 2 players who are more expensive?

Sorry, but unless the Habs pay a large portion of their salaries it's not going to happen... and the last thing the Habs can afford to do is start paying our players go to play elsewhere.

Cechmanek was a good signing for a team that wants to do well but at the same time isn't a contender.

LA is in bugdet mode, until they see what the new CBA brings... they won't make any expensive aquisitions in the summer.

They only have 2, count them 2, players under contract beyond the coming season. (Miller, Norstrom)

Now that's good management in anticipation of the new CBA.

Only a 2nd rounder to get him?

wow that's unbelievable.. i'm totally shock!

He has a career average BELOW 2.00 !!! Yes he's a bit old (32), but come on! A starter for a 2nd round pick only! And on a year where there will be a high demand for goalies! I don't get it! And why does Clarke do this the day Lacroix lose Roy ? The day goalies value take a high jump, Clarke make a funny move, giving his starter. I don't get it, no, i don't get it. :eyes:

Originally posted by Markov79

To all of you who thought Garon had the value to bring in a 1st round pick or something like that, just look at what the Kings got for Checkmanek!

Cechmanek is a 32 year old who gets paid around 4 million per year.

Garon is a youngster who doesnt get paid much.

Obviously Cechmanek is the (currently) better goalie and is more experienced , but salaries have a HUGE impact on all trades in the NHL these days , that might explain the small return for Roman.

Didn't see that coming.

I had bets on him going to Phoenix, and Burke going to Colorado, and Osgood going to Philly in a big circle.

Oh well, it just means, with LA's door closed, that Philadelphia's opens.

Maybe we'll find a home for Garon. However, I'm hoping that we can get an experienced backup goalie for Jose, if we lose Garon.

:ghg:

Puck

So are you saying Garon is worth more than Checkmanek?

Not exactly. I'm saying that Garon is worth more to SOME teams then Cechmanek would be , because of age/salary.

So yes... He is worth more (to some teams) then Cechmanek.

Worth more does NOT mean better.

And yes I am aware of Cechmanek's accomplishments and his amazing regular season statistics... So lets not get into that :)

Garon is 100% worth more than Cechmanek. Garon will get better... Cechmanek won't. Garon makes 1 million per season... Roman makes almost 4 times that. Roman is worth as much a Hackett, Potvin or any other goalie like that on the decline... Garon has way more value. By way more value I mean a first round pick at least.

Puck

So are you saying Garon is worth more than Cechmanek?

Let me put it another way... if Philly had offered us Cechmanek for Garon, I would of said no. ;)

Once you prove you can't hack it in the playoffs... your stock plummits no matter how well you did in the regular season.

Reminds me of Turek in St-Louis that way... and what about Osgood who was put on waivers by Detroit?

So now St-Louis, Colorado, Philly, Boston, etc.. will be looking for goalies.

I hear Khabibulin, Kolzig, Burke would be available for the right price... lesser goalies like Hackett, Biron, Osgood, Irbe, Potvin.

And then there's Garon, I hope we wait at least a year before moving him...

[Edited on 29-5-03 by Habs77]

Rumors of Burke to Colorado are starting to swarm.

How much will Colorado give up for a goalie who will retire in 3 years or less?

And Burke once played in Philadelphia, so there are rumors about him going to Philly too.

I doubt Irbe will be signed. Hackett will retire or remain in Boston. Potvin will go somewhere, though he will be one of the later goalies to sign. Khabibulin is in TB for the rest of his career. Same with Kolzig. Biron won't go anywhere unless STL gives up Jackmann, or someone gives up a great defensive prospect. Osgood will spend another year with STL (IMO).

What about Brathwaite?

What about the goalie situation with Carolina? Or Pittsburgh? Or Philadelphia? Or Vancouver?

etc.