Game Thread | Pittsburgh vs. Canadiens | 09/18/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheres the guys calling for Price or Halak to be our #1?

Come on out you know who you are. :lol:

Here I am. Halak started shakey, settled down, Price needs puck control work, and a defence core that isn't lead by Cube and Dandy. Huet will be gone by trade deadline at the latest so someone has to step in....

Wow, how the mighty have fallen. As i said yesterday these are pre season games, people shouldn't get too worked up about them.

What you can get worked up about is once again they were outworked, too many penalties, getting crushed 5 on 5. Will this ever change? Not until a few more vets his the road in my opinion.

I would have Gorges and Streit as 5 and 6. Find some one to play with Hamer and call it a day.

Price wasn't spectaclar and jaw dropping, yet at times he was. I found that (I forget who scored) when he was down and out after trying to use his padel to deflect the puck behind the net and got scored on, well those miraculous saves worked in Tri-City but are too risky in the NHL. Price, you're not quite Hasek yet. Price must do better to force BOb's hand. Huet is definitely more relaxed today.

Last nights standouts were D'Agostini and O'Byrne for me. The comparisons of D'Agostini being like Higgins have merit. Problem is, it's Higgins of 2004-05 in Hamilton. D'Agostini is going to take some time but that's fine. I'd rather he be a 2005 Higgins now than nothing at all.

O'Byrne has to work on his hit timing but I am very impressed with his patrolling the boards and returning to the slot to guard against back door plays. I am impressed.

What is Cote doing besides proving he is a call up for injury only? And Dandy, what kind of lousy effort was that?

Wow, how the mighty have fallen. As i said yesterday these are pre season games, people shouldn't get too worked up about them.

What you can get worked up about is once again they were outworked, too many penalties, getting crushed 5 on 5. Will this ever change? Not until a few more vets his the road in my opinion.

I would have Gorges and Streit as 5 and 6. Find some one to play with Hamer and call it a day.

Agreed, even strenght 4 goals scored in 22.12 minutes is awful.

Who was on the ice ??

First goal O'byrne, Smolinski, Bégin, Hammer, Beauregard

2nd O'byrne, Koivu, Hammer, Ryder, Latendresse

3third Danedenault, D'agostini, Manlow, Lapierre, Bouillon

4 fth Smolinski, bégin, Coté, Dandenault, Beauregard **the worst screw up in defense yet.

So Smolinski as to kick ass, Bégin is not as useful in the +/- as he was, only a 4th line agitator.

O'byrne did not deserve this second star. Beauregard should be sent back down to along with Manlow.

I don't have much patience with the non ready kids. I have even less with veteran that are paying high

bucks to do the jobs and don't do the job.

There is not much time before oct 3 and this team has to get chemistry going 2 weeks before that.

It's already time to chop chop.

I would say Little Kots, Archer, Manlow, Beauregard, Urquart, Lemieux.

Give one game to Bonneau to show if he can fight an heavyweight, Russel and Aubin for a little show up, they can't do worse

than the other and after one game sent them down.

The others rookies remaining should challenge the veterans and maybe i say maybe we will have a tenacious team as Higgins want.

There is not much time before oct 3 and this team has to get chemistry going 2 weeks before that.

It's already time to chop chop.

I would say Little Kots, Archer, Manlow, Beauregard, Urquart, Lemieux.

Give one game to Bonneau to show if he can fight an heavyweight, Russel and Aubin for a little show up, they can't do worse

than the other and after one game sent them down.

The others rookies remaining should challenge the veterans and maybe i say maybe we will have a tenacious team as Higgins want.

Oct 3rd is just around the corner but it's only the second game. Carbs made the schedule 2 1/2 squads deep for 6 games in 7 nights so he can get a good look at everyone make cuts and then have a bunch of time before the season starts with what will most likely be the full team, in order to get a little chemistry going and a game plan. So no reason to get impatient EasyRider things are under control and going according to plan.

O'Byrne

He used his size well, his hits looked punishing, he stayed in position and there was one play that his speed shone. He made a break into the opposing zone with looked like ease. He has no golden hands, but that is not his position.

I like this kid a lot.

Bouillon was Dandy's partner, and from reports he was equally bad.

Many posters said Lapierre was the only person who showed up last night.

Carbo said that their best player last night might have been Beauregard.

BTW, message to Carey Price: please get a new mask design. You're not an WHL Americans anymore.

Here I am. Halak started shakey, settled down, Price needs puck control work, and a defence core that isn't lead by Cube and Dandy. Huet will be gone by trade deadline at the latest so someone has to step in....

:lol: The only ones that might be gone by trade deadline will be Ryder, Kovalev and possibly Carbonneau. Yeah lets head into the playoffs with a set of complete rookies or move our best goalie and put next season hopes on someone "possibly" stepping up. :clap:

Sorry, Carbo isn't going anywhere. The days of the lazy slug players running coaches out of town is over. There is a reason Rivet, Souray and others were moved. It will continue.

Any trades will depend on how the season progresses. 2 pre season games doesn't maen anything.

:lol: The only ones that might be gone by trade deadline will be Ryder, Kovalev and possibly Carbonneau. Yeah lets head into the playoffs with a set of complete rookies or move our best goalie and put next season hopes on someone "possibly" stepping up. :clap:

So what makes you think UFA Huet will be here next year? He will be moved.

Last nights standouts were D'Agostini and O'Byrne for me. The comparisons of D'Agostini being like Higgins have merit. Problem is, it's Higgins of 2004-05 in Hamilton. D'Agostini is going to take some time but that's fine. I'd rather he be a 2005 Higgins now than nothing at all.

O'Byrne has to work on his hit timing but I am very impressed with his patrolling the boards and returning to the slot to guard against back door plays. I am impressed.

I totally agree. I was actually surprised that it took this long in the thread to mention these two guys. They both played NHL caliber hockey. The rest of the dogs, including Price, played like call ups

Edited by BCHabnut

Did O'Byrne merit the second star?

Yes. He was a complete beast. I'd really love to see a second pairing of Hamrlik - O'Byrne. Both of them showed they're very tough players and good hitters tonight - O'byrne is more intimidating on defence, Hamrlik is more talented on offence. Throw Streit on the third pairing with just about any of our #6 d-men and our D looks fine this year. Not a top D in the league, but I would say the best we've had in the past decade or so.

Yes, based on early results i like what i am hearing on O'byrne. Unfortunately i have dial up at home so any internet access games televised i'll never see. So i have to rely on various posters for info. I'll have to wait for opening night when my regular nhl package kicks in.

Markov Komi

Hamerlik O'Byrne

Gorges Streit

So what makes you think UFA Huet will be here next year? He will be moved.

This my first post, so hopefully I'm doing everything correctly.

I'm not so sure Huet will be moved. He looks the most at home on the ice, and until somebody else proves that they're ready, I'd keep him around. Halak or Price could step up, but there's no guarantee.