Contest

Peter Puck

Okay,

We've endlessly debated who Gainey and Carbo are going to keep. Time to put your reputation on the line.

Predict who will be on the roster when the season opens. You can list up to 23 players. They can play any position.

1 point for every correct prediction. Deadline for predictions is Sept 29th. You have one week to finish your analysis.

Ties goes to the earlier poster. I'll list my prediction as lines and D pairs but no points for getting the lines right.

Here's my prediction:

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

A. Kostitsyn Plekanec Ryder

Latendresse Smolinski Kostopoulos

Begin Lapierre Murray

Milroy

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Streit

Bouillon Dandenault

Gorges

Brisebois

Huet

Halak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is gorges considered a rookie ?? alot of cough*experts*cough think that he may be on the bubble but he seems to be playing alot in pre season, doing well too.

he'll be the 7th D until brisebois comes back.

on foward, either d'agostini or chipchura.

I'm afraid the results of this contest will be skewered when (WHEN) Gainey makes a trade before the season.

I hope so, but I will post two pairs of forward lines - one is what the Gazette said they will be and I was under the impression that those were nearly confirmed because they even did interviews based on them. The second pair of lines are going to be the lines I would make.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Latendresse-Smolinski-Kostopoulos

Begin-Chipchura-Lapierre

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Lapierre-Smolinski-Kovalev

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Streit

(Brisebois, Gorges)

Huet

Halak

I'd love for Price, Lahti or another young player who can play LW to make it, but they were all outshined by Chipchura and the veterans. I like Lapierre more than Kostopoulos on the third line because I see some offensive potential and talent in him, and Kovalev needs guys talented enough to keep up with him. I could see Dandenault being traded for a Kostopoulos type - a hardworking bottom line forward or depth forward.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Begin - Chipchura - Lapierre

Ex: Murray

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Streit

Bouillon - Dandenault

Ex: Gorges - Brisebois

Huet

Halak

higgins - koivu - ryder

a. kostitsyn - plekanec - Latendresse

Chipchura - Smolinski - Kovalev

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulis

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Streit

Bouillon - Gorges

Brisebois

Dandenault

hopefully there can be a bouillon or Dandenault trade, and then I would not be shocked to see:

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne (on the Hamrlik as mentor theory)

Streit - Gorges

Brisebois

Bouillon/Dandenault

Huet

Danis (because of waiver issue)

I am a horrible prognosticator

My lineup would look like this:

Ryder Higgins Koivu

Kovalev Plecanec A.Kostitsyn

Latendresse Smolinski D'Agostini

Lapierre Chipchura Begin

Kostopoulis

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Streit Georges

Brisbois, Dandanoult (sorry about spelling)

(Long shot, hail mary) carey price

Halak

Here is mine

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Latendresse - Plex - Kovalev

A. Kost - Chipchura - D'Agostini

Bégin - Smolinski - Lapierre

Murray, Kostopoulos

Markov - Komi

Streit - Hamrlik

Bouillon - Dandenault

Gorges

I REALLY wish O'Byrne on the roster instead of Dandy (throw him for a 4th...)

Huet - Halak

(i know for the waiver issue with Danis, but i REALLY don't care if he gets claim on waivers)

sergei kostitsyn seems to score alot of points with carbonneau. I hope they give every chance to stay like they did with Latendresse last year.

sergei kostitsyn seems to score alot of points with carbonneau. I hope they give every chance to stay like they did with Latendresse last year.

I'm sure Kostitsyn is getting a good look, but to be fair, latendresse had to wait until his second training camp before he was given a roster spot. Also, you can send Kostitsyn to Hamilton and grab him whenever you want, wasn't the case with Latendresse. I could see Kost getting a callup at some point this season, but I'd bet he starts with the Bulldogs.

I'm sure Kostitsyn is getting a good look, but to be fair, latendresse had to wait until his second training camp before he was given a roster spot. Also, you can send Kostitsyn to Hamilton and grab him whenever you want, wasn't the case with Latendresse. I could see Kost getting a callup at some point this season, but I'd bet he starts with the Bulldogs.

actually I think it really is sk's second training camp. of course he could be sent down to be recalled but out of the youngsters I think he's the one who,s done a bigger impression.

I really like his feistyness thanks to dale hunter !!!

good point, i never knew lats had a 1 way contract.

Is big #### a shoe in to make the starting roster?

good point, i never knew lats had a 1 way contract.

Is big #### a shoe in to make the starting roster?

Kostitsyn Sr. is a lock he has a roster spot.

As for Latendresse he did not have a 1 way deal but as a below age North American born player he can not play in the AHL until he is no longer eligable to play in the CHL.

We're still a team that's a work in progress, but this is what I expect on opening night. It's the same as what Pat Hickey had a couple days ago:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Latendresse-Smolinski-Kostopolous

Begin-Chiphcura-Latendresse

Murray

Markov-Komi

Streit-Hamr

Bouillon-Brisebois

Gorges/Dandenault

Huet

Halak

A couple of notes: Dandy has played himself off the starting lineup, but not off the team. We usually give vets a few chances before they're officially ushered out. Dandy will get another chance and he could fill in as a winger if needed as well. His salary isn't a huge concern to us for this season at least.

D'Agostini & Grabovski are the first callups. We won't need to make a D call up for a little while, but O'Byrne is on the team's radar for this year.

Chipchura isn't a lock for the forward spot at this point, but it's hard to see the other two aforementioned forwards cracking in a scoring role yet. It's possible it won't be long, though.

What the hell happened with Lahti this camp anyways? I'd be almost surprised if he survives the big cut tommorow morning.

Murray's done enough to earn another chance from what I've seen/heard. He was mainly battling Ferland & Milroy for the spot. Milroy is done after this year, but he may be Hamilton's captain this season. Ferland... his chances of cracking the Habs aren't at zero yet, but it's pretty low. Unfortunately for him, Milroy got there first and we added Kostopolous, so his advantage on what he brings became less significant.

Gorges definitely stepped up, but there's no LH spot for him right now on D.

Coté had a shot with Dandy's fall from grace to stick as one of the 8 D's, but he now seems to be a guy that won't crack the Habs like Milroy.

Why most of you guys keep placing The Greek on the third line? What has he done to deserve that spot? From what I've seen from him, he'll be at best on the 4th line!

Here's my guess - just before today's cuts.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

A Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Smolinski - S. Kostitsyn

Bégin - Chips - Lapierre

The Greek

Callups from hamilton: Grabs, D'Ag, Ferland

Waivers: Garth "I can fight" Murray

Markov - K-Rex

Hammer - Streit

The Cube - Breezer/Dandenault/Georges (in order of priority; depending of play and injuries)

* IMO Georges and/or Dandenault will be traded if possible and O'Byrne will be called up

Hamilton callups: O'Byrne, Côté

Huet - Halak

Well i think first of all everyone is giving Bouillon too much credit again, not sure what he or Dandy has done to deserve to start. Gorges and O'Byrne have played great this pre season and would much rather have them then either Bouillon or Dandy.

Someone also mentioned Chipchura maybe not making it, he'll be the fourth line center. The line up reported in the news paper sounds pretty solid.

I got to listen to a habs game on the internet so i am basing Gorges and Chipchura play by the announcers.

I don't like Koivu and Ryder together, they are a nightmare defensively even if they play with Higgins. I might flip flop him and Kovalev. I don't know that solves anything but you can't have your top 2 scorers at minus 60 again.

I'll be little more interested in the next 2 pre season games to see how they fair and the line combos.

The real question is will the likes of Ryder, Kovalev and Koivu step up and make a difference this year. Especially 5 on 5.

5 on 5 is key; but the team will also need Higgins and Kostitsyn to step up and take really central roles offensively.

To base it on last year's totals, Koivu probably isn't going to get too much more than 75pts, but he can definitely improve his 5 on 5 play. Likewise, Ryder will probably not score more than 30, but can improve his two way game. Kovalev, Higgins and Kostitsyn are all the intangibles that will have to produce consistently for the team to make the playoffs this year.

Well i think first of all everyone is giving Bouillon too much credit again, not sure what he or Dandy has done to deserve to start. Gorges and O'Byrne have played great this pre season and would much rather have them then either Bouillon or Dandy.

Someone also mentioned Chipchura maybe not making it, he'll be the fourth line center. The line up reported in the news paper sounds pretty solid.

I got to listen to a habs game on the internet so i am basing Gorges and Chipchura play by the announcers.

I don't like Koivu and Ryder together, they are a nightmare defensively even if they play with Higgins. I might flip flop him and Kovalev. I don't know that solves anything but you can't have your top 2 scorers at minus 60 again.

I'll be little more interested in the next 2 pre season games to see how they fair and the line combos.

The real question is will the likes of Ryder, Kovalev and Koivu step up and make a difference this year. Especially 5 on 5.

Before Higgins' injury last year, Higgins-Koivu-Ryder were all plus players. Ryder's terrible defensively, Koivu is so-so (at least he's our best faceoff guy so he's not chasing the puck from the get go) and Higgins is solid in his own end. Ryder & Koivu started going in the minus when Latendresse was promoted to the top line, and Higgins never had a very long period of being back at 100% before his shoulder injury.

Bouillon will get a shot because the team likes him. If he struggles early, that could change. Gorges might make the opening day lineup if Brisebois continues to struggle with his groin or other injuries:

Markov-Komi

Gorges-Hamr

Bouillon-Streit