Official "Cuts" thread

ShortHanded

Its not just garth that I am upset about...The habs need to replace Begin too. Sorry to say, but Lapierre basically is an upgrade on Begin as well. So by that logic, Lapierre should replace Begin and Milroy should take Murray's spot. Our third and fourth line should be:

Kostopolous - Smolinski - Lats

Lapierre - Chips - Milroy

Murray can easily be waived or bought out. I think we could probably package Begin, although his 1 mil salary would be hard to swallow for his limited upside. I really have nothing against Begin, but guys like him will never be more than fourth line. I think the fourth line should be an 'NHL tryout' line for up and coming youngsters. It would also help teach them defensive responsibility. Enough of this 'grinder line' full of career fourth liners. Look at buffalo! They can literally threaten with all four lines. We wont achieve that with Murray and Begin anchoring our fourth line.

Even if Milroy and Murray were on equal footing for a spot coming into camp, Murray outplayed him. Milroy was invisible all camp, Murray was initiating. That's what the team needs from Garth.

Begin isn't going anywhere. We need a lot of grit/sandpaper on our bottom lines, and when he's healthy he can be one of the league leaders in hits. Look at Buffalo? They lost out because of a lack of grit. The Rangers should've beaten them if not for Drury scoring with five seconds left in Game 5, and Ottawa really took it to them physically.

I don't want stiffs on my 4th line, but you still need a complete team. You can't be one-dimensional.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray needs to know what gear to be in on some attacks. I heard on CJAD that Carbo and muller want him to work on that. Righty now he only seems to have a 4th gear. Similar to Grabovski, Murray would be FAR MORE effective if he used his 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear when the situation merited it.

We're acting like all out 'must clear waiver' guys will be snatched by other teams...this isn't a sure bet by any means. Furthermore, the Habs can do the same thing to other clubs. That's why we have Begin. So let's not rip out our hair.

Having said that, I sure hope we don't end up in another 'Ron Hainsey/Francois Beauchemin' situation on our hands. At the time I was happy to see Hainsey go, but it just goes to show, there's no substitute for raw talent...And maybe if these guys were still in our system we wouldn't have needed to draft at D so agressively in recent years, possibly making more room for the kind of pure offensive talent we need :puke:

Locke is the one that worries me of this lot. I fear that he may be one of those players who is greater than the sum of his parts. He just might carve himself a nice little NHL niche yet, in defiance of all the 'experts'.

We're acting like all out 'must clear waiver' guys...

I wouldn't be surprised if none are claimed. Let's not forget that there are scores of players from other clubs that have to clear as well. Perhaps other teams will get stung before us at all.

Might see a trade on D, if the coaches figure O'Byrne can play top-six minutes.

I would actually be surprised if the Habs didn't unload one of these d-men within the next week. There are just too many and I don't want to see d-men playing forward again.

Even if Milroy and Murray were on equal footing for a spot coming into camp, Murray outplayed him. Milroy was invisible all camp, Murray was initiating. That's what the team needs from Garth.

Begin isn't going anywhere. We need a lot of grit/sandpaper on our bottom lines, and when he's healthy he can be one of the league leaders in hits. Look at Buffalo? They lost out because of a lack of grit. The Rangers should've beaten them if not for Drury scoring with five seconds left in Game 5, and Ottawa really took it to them physically.

I don't want stiffs on my 4th line, but you still need a complete team. You can't be one-dimensional.

i think the 4th line should/has to be the checking line : Bégin, Lapierre, Kostopoulos. Murray AIN'T physical, he just skate hard everywhere and hit like a Bantam AA guy. He has no offensive skills, will never (in my mind) be allowed to kill penality, he has nothing to do on the team.

A bit surprised Lahti went down before Francis Lemieux. The guy's got talent, I think he just needs to adjust to the North American game - he hasn't got much time, though, at his age. If he misses the team next camp I'll have to write him off.

To me, the team is set. Chipchura and O'Byrne made it - Price didn't.

Sorry guys,

I just don't really understand this waiver thing.

I know that Danis and Locke might be claimed off waivers, but how did they get there in the first place other than being cut from les canadiens?

Sorry guys,

I just don't really understand this waiver thing.

I know that Danis and Locke might be claimed off waivers, but how did they get there in the first place other than being cut from les canadiens?

once a player has enough playing time in the NHL and/or AHL, his team must put him through waivers if they won't start him on the NHL club.

once a player has enough playing time in the NHL and/or AHL, his team must put him through waivers if they won't start him on the NHL club.

after 3 years of professionnal hockey...

Andrei Kostitsyn made the team, i have no doubt in my mind. The decision will be between Grabs and Chips, although I think Chips outplayed Grabs, Grabs has more experience and will be needed to put the puck in the back of the net, a somewhat chore for the Habs. Murray healthy scratch, this is how its gonna be.

I was totally expecting Murray to be in waiverville coming into camp, but nobody beat him out of his spot, and he brought his boxing gloves. Also, like others have said here, it's important to remember that his spot is effectively the healthy scratch spot - a spot that should not be considered for a good young player in development. You park someone there who has occasional usefulness (slotted into the lineup when an upcoming game calls for a bodyguard who can kill the occasional penalty) and who doesn't depreciate by being on the shelf. D'Agostini or SKostitsyn would rot there, waiting for an injury to happen - which they can do from Hamilton anyway. Neither Grabovski nor Chipchura are competing with him, because if they aren't going to play, they need to be sent down, not eat Garth's hot dogs in the press box.

I don't even think he's really the 13th forward, either. Should one of the starting 12 forwards get injured, watch for Streit to be moved up and one of the two backup D slotted in to replace him in the back. Carbo's looking for any excuse to dress 6.5 defencemen, particularly when two of his potential policemen (Komi and O'Byrne) are d-men and may be in the box for 5 minutes. So Murray is locked in the pressbox...and if he's able to bring his 05-06 form off the bench for the 36 games he does play, all the better.

Andrei Kostitsyn made the team, i have no doubt in my mind. The decision will be between Grabs and Chips, although I think Chips outplayed Grabs, Grabs has more experience and will be needed to put the puck in the back of the net, a somewhat chore for the Habs. Murray healthy scratch, this is how its gonna be.

In my mind I think that chipchura will make it over grabovski.

carbonneau has tried smolinski on right wing. maybe he feels that chipchura would be more efficient on the 3rd line with a smolinski on right and perhaps a latendresse on left.

carbonneau has tried smolinski on right wing. maybe he feels that chipchura would be more efficient on the 3rd line with a smolinski on right and perhaps a latendresse on left.

Are you serious? Smokes can play wing! Well in that case both could nab a spot on the starting roster.

They would want to use Smolinski at center, I think, because he's very good at faceoffs. Lapierre will probably be the one to move to the wing, while Chipchura takes the fourth line center role. Many different combinations though.

just because smolinski plays on the wing, it doesn't mean that he won't take face offs.

It would allow Chips to cheat a lot more. So his percentage will be really high. The cheating will have him kicked out a lot and in comes smolinski.

Chips will play either with Smolinski or Lapierre. Both those two are RH centers, and Chips is left handed. If the draw calls for a right handed guy, Smoke or Lapierre will take it. If it calls for a left handed guy, Chips will.

Gotta be happy with our '03 draft class: Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak, and O'Byrne could all start the season with the big club.

This year, Beauregard has no realistic chance. If he tears up the AHL like he did in Juniors then maybe he'll be able to make more of case for himself next year.