Luongo threatens to retire

Ribeiro

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3035979

In a conference call Tuesday, Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo said he would retire if the league used bigger nets.

"If that day comes, I don't think you guys will be seeing me in the NHL," Luongo said.

Michael Luongo, I know you think you're important, and playing hockey in Vancouver has inflated your ego, but here's a reality check for you:

You play hockey. In the NHL.

Nobody outside Vancouver cares if you retire, and nobody outside of Canada that matters even really knows who you are or what you do. You're a goaltender in a fringe sport, in a league that's struggling to survive against High School football, poker, and pre-horse racing shows on television.

Maybe you just thought you were back in the 70s when your sport mattered, or that you were suddenly as important as Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, or Kobe Bryant, because that would be the only explanation for you making those threats.

Do us all a favour and stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself, your league, and the 5 fans watching you on TV. Or, even better, do actually retire so the Canucks can lose fans and revenue, then move to Vegas, then fold, so Vancouver can get an NFL team, so we don't have to a bunch of awkward looking Canadians grab and pull at a bunch of awkward foreigners with names nobody on Sportscenter can pronounce.

:huh:

Euhhm.., yeah.. OK

in case you haven't seen a hockey game recently, Roberto Luongo is thé best goalie in todays NHL.

Not kidding.

Just wanted you to know.

;)

can't wait to see if he'll put his mouth where his money his...if they use bigger nets !!

anyhow I don't think they'll ever do it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3035979

Michael Luongo, I know you think you're important, and playing hockey in Vancouver has inflated your ego, but here's a reality check for you:

You play hockey. In the NHL.

Nobody outside Vancouver cares if you retire, and nobody outside of Canada that matters even really knows who you are or what you do. You're a goaltender in a fringe sport, in a league that's struggling to survive against High School football, poker, and pre-horse racing shows on television.

Maybe you just thought you were back in the 70s when your sport mattered, or that you were suddenly as important as Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, or Kobe Bryant, because that would be the only explanation for you making those threats.

Do us all a favour and stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself, your league, and the 5 fans watching you on TV. Or, even better, do actually retire so the Canucks can lose fans and revenue, then move to Vegas, then fold, so Vancouver can get an NFL team, so we don't have to a bunch of awkward looking Canadians grab and pull at a bunch of awkward foreigners with names nobody on Sportscenter can pronounce.

Why do you even bother ??

Couple of reasons why you might not be so liked.

1. Your name on the boards is Ribeiro but its ok if hes your fav player.

2. Your bashing hockey and a fellow montrealer....in a HABS FORUM

3. You got Roberts name wrong and i got more later

Anyways, if something as asinine as bigger nets were ever approved, I would hope that EVERY goalie would go on strike and threaten to retire. I know that I would immediately lose interest in the league if the nets were ever enlarged. The elimination of the red line bugs me enough, any scoring records that are set in the future are already tarnished as it is.

Talk is cheap, 6 million isn't.

He will stay don't worry.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.

By that time he will have enough money together to survive in his next nine lives.

In my opinion money won't be a big factor in his decision.

Are you a goalie? I wake up screaming from nightmares thinking about those bigger nets.

;)

Anyways, if something as asinine as bigger nets were ever approved, I would hope that EVERY goalie would go on strike and threaten to retire. I know that I would immediately lose interest in the league if the nets were ever enlarged. The elimination of the red line bugs me enough, any scoring records that are set in the future are already tarnished as it is.

Yes, and how many changes can you make and still call it "hockey"?

Cheers to Roberto Luongo. Even if this is just a smokescreen and he doesn't mean it, I'm sure it got Colin Campbell's attention. By Luongo even saying this he might actually start a goalie movement towards stopping this garbage. If other goalies join his chorus, that'd be a good thing IMO.

To all the goalies - take Luongo's lead and go with it. :clap:

Screw you Campbell. Why are "Campbell's" all goofy execs in the NHL history?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

This is good news because it is a serious threat to the NHL. Increasing the size of the nets would lose enough fans (though they must disagree with that if they choose to enlarge them) but losing Luongo would lose even more. I'm sure Luongo won't be the only one to go.

A lot of whining from goalies going on before they even see what the increase would be. If it's an inch taller and an inch or two wider, and you can't adjust for angles, you're not very good.

Haven't you ever watched Mighty Ducks? A few inches can make all the difference! :lol:

This is good news because it is a serious threat to the NHL. Increasing the size of the nets would lose enough fans (though they must disagree with that if they choose to enlarge them) but losing Luongo would lose even more. I'm sure Luongo won't be the only one to go.

There are Carey Prices, Justin Pogges, ect. just itching for their shot at the bigs. If Luongo walks, there'll be someone to fill his crease. No shortage of prospects out there waiting to make the jump.

your joking right? Elimination of the red line was the greatest thing Bettman ever did. Everyone saw how freaking awesome the hockey was in Salt Lake during the olympics. Everyone was like "hey we need to open up the ice, oh crap we can't expand the rink so what should we do?"

A: Shorten goalie pads, and get rid of the asinine two line pass. This isn't the 40's and 50's anymore, players are freaking massive not little people. The rink is in all tense and purposes mentally shorter. The red line made the game go to even more of a stand still.

I freakishly hate Gary freaking Bettman but, I've got to give him crazy mad insane props for getting rid of one of the most archaic rules in all of sports.

There are Carey Prices, Justin Pogges, ect. just itching for their shot at the bigs. If Luongo walks, there'll be someone to fill his crease. No shortage of prospects out there waiting to make the jump.

What does that have to do with anything? If Luongo goes, a shitload of fans go as well, a ton of complaints come in and the NHL's reputation becomes even worse than it already is. This is a genuine threat to the league. Only a handful of players could cause more damage (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, both Staals, etc...).

Besides, enlarging the net is a horrible idea to begin with.

What does that have to do with anything? If Luongo goes, a shitload of fans go as well, a ton of complaints come in and the NHL's reputation becomes even worse than it already is. This is a genuine threat to the league. Only a handful of players could cause more damage (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, both Staals, etc...).

Besides, enlarging the net is a horrible idea to begin with.

Are you kidding me? I can't imagine many fans pay to watch Roberto Luongo. I pay to watch Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, ect. score highlight reel goals. The only goalie so impressive that he was part of the draw to buy a ticket for me was Hasek in his prime.