Steve Downie's Hit on Dean McAmmond

MMPL

Downie's a small guy ... he has to jump to deliver a similar impact to Pronger, who got 1 game for headhunting last year.

Basically, if the NHL doesn't take a legitimate and official stance on this issue, it will continue.

@ Chris: About figure skating, why don't you just get your fighting fix watching the UFC or K-1? Or are you all about hybridization? Well, what if I like hard-core sex ... should we integrate that in to hockey, and instead of brawls we could have all out orgies? For my taste, of course, we could only have male vs female teams ... except for the goalies who could only be female ... because a little girl on girl goalie action would be so HOT.

Anyway, please use better logic in responding to me in future. Try an argument instead of this knee-jerk reactionism.

That's about the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. So now, any guy under a certain height can throw himself head/shoulder first into another player? Shit, Chara better watch out for Bouillon when the Bruins and Habs play, now that Bam Bam has been given the green light to hurl himself at the big guy.

And just for the record, Downie is listed at 5' 10", and McAmmond at 5' 11", so your argument holds about as much water as a fishing net.

That's about the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. So now, any guy under a certain height can throw himself head/shoulder first into another player? Shit, Chara better watch out for Bouillon when the Bruins and Habs play, now that Bam Bam has been given the green light to hurl himself at the big guy.

And just for the record, Downie is listed at 5' 10", and McAmmond at 5' 11", so your argument holds about as much water as a fishing net.

Yes, it is a dumb excuse ... it was basically the excuse that Pronger used but in reverse. "I'm a big guy, so I naturally hit people in the head". Head shots are head shots. Attempts to injure are attempts to injure. It irks me that just because someone is a big star they can get away with intent to injure, but they make an example out of a bad boy rookie. It is a friggin' boys club, where membership and rank has its privileges. I'm just glad our legal system isn't so blatant.

yeah pronger is a goof.

I played football okay, against people a foot shorter then me. I knew that if I tackled someone the way I was taught I'd be smacking them in the head. Hurting them.

So what did I teach myself to do? Get lower, and hit lower. If I was able to get my 6'7 frame low enough to tackle a running back who was 5'9ish in the chest with the helmet going under the arm. Pronger and any other tall person in the league can do the same.

If he can't, simple. In football I just ended up bear hugging and pushing them down. Pronger can just do a regular hip check but don't use his upper body because then he'll forcibly push someones head in the glass.

Its common sense and I don't buy the I'm tall excuse because I'm tall and I didn't find my height a problem.

yeah pronger is a goof.

I played football okay, against people a foot shorter then me. I knew that if I tackled someone the way I was taught I'd be smacking them in the head. Hurting them.

So what did I teach myself to do? Get lower, and hit lower. If I was able to get my 6'7 frame low enough to tackle a running back who was 5'9ish in the chest with the helmet going under the arm. Pronger and any other tall person in the league can do the same.

If he can't, simple. In football I just ended up bear hugging and pushing them down. Pronger can just do a regular hip check but don't use his upper body because then he'll forcibly push someones head in the glass.

Its common sense and I don't buy the I'm tall excuse because I'm tall and I didn't find my height a problem.

Footbal is played at about 1/4 the speed hockey is though.

Footbal is played at about 1/4 the speed hockey is though.

Pierre the Great isnt talking aboot Soccer though. There may be more play stoppages in Football, yes. However Football isnt 1/4 speed of hockey by any means. Whoever has the football has the entire oppositions team charging full speed after them. With Pierre the Great size, he could easily Lindros people every play. Being 6'7' is the beginning of being freakishly large, theres not that many people who are just that tall in general, not to mention body type (tall+lanky, or tall+built). Ironically that is probably why Pierre isnt a Pro, because he didnt maim enough people for the scouts to notice him. Apparently beating up teammates and jumping opposition players from behind just before time runs out wouldnt have hurt either.

Athlétique.Canadien: Thx for that great clip of the Crushing Belorussian. :clap:

Theres a double standard because you're making one on your own. After the way they handled Pronger in the playoffs, the league went under a lot of scrutiny in the offseason for lax suspensions. Give it half a season before you start whining, this could finally be the time when the NHL really dishes it out to offending players the same way the NFL has just started cracking down on their own league.

I just think that 20 games is a lot. Now everytime a player does something like this the League is saying they need to hand down 15-20 games at least. If there is a similar hit somewhere in the league today or tomorrow and a player is not given a monster amount of games suspension there is a lack of justice.

I am not defending what Downie did I just think that giving him the 5th most sevre suspension in NHL history for this hit is a bit of an overreaction.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so here we go again.

In my personal opinion what Jesse Boulrice (sp) did to Ryan Kesler last night was worse than what Steve Downie did to Mcammond. Anytime a stick is used to somebodys face or head in anyway it should be deemed more serious.

We will see how many games he gets. I think that Boulrice should get at least 20 if not more (if we are going by the standards of pre season). If he gets less then 20 the league is again proven a joke.

Yeah, it's like what I said before, this is where the NHL can either prove they're heading in a new direction (like I think they are) or whether they're still a joke.

This is actually a monster decision for the league.

If you don't like fighting, watch figure skating.

Or, if you like fighting, watch boxing?

although this thread is about a cheap shot we veered off into fighting, ok some say having fighting eliminates cheap shots but I see no proof of that whatsoever. Fighting appeals to fans who like to see violence. A cheap shot is violent. I'm sure there are fans who think this hit was awesome. :puke:

Great call JMMR, according to nhl.com, Boulerice got 25 games.

I applaud Colin Campbell and the NHL for backing up their talk over the summer. :clap:

It was a nice round number and he is a punk anywyas!