"The Party is Over"

Pierre the Great

The really idiotic thing is the lack of distinction between soft drugs like pot, which is far less harmful or socially disruptive than alcohol; and hard drugs like meth and heroin. The policy is out of touch with reality -- almost 20% of Canadians have smoked pot in the last year, why does Harper want to saddle one in five Canadians with a criminal record?

"The Party's over?" Yeah, make that the Conservative Party.

I wrote another article on this. I think I've written 5 articles and turned them in over the weekend got this from the editor:

classic lol!

(hey they said they were looking for a political columnist, for better or worse they got me lol)

"Goodness Pierre! It seems every time I open my inbox, there is something from you. This is awesome."

the school will never be the same. lol

This is what happens when you don't pay attention to government or care about what they do to your life.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Well Harper's trying to get in the good books of the Republicans down south, even though Bush has never been that interested in Canada-US relations to begin with, he is entering the home stretch of his final term in office, and the GOP is probably hit-or-miss to stay in the White House next year anyway.

Well Harper's trying to get in the good books of the Republicans down south, even though Bush has never been that interested in Canada-US relations to begin with, he is entering the home stretch of his final term in office, and the GOP is probably hit-or-miss to stay in the White House next year anyway.

not true, when the Chretien bill came up for decriminalization D.C got mad, and then the Liberals never brought the bill to the floor.

Harper of course will follow lock step with Washington on anything. He is spineless. Stole a billion dollars from canadians.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071004...88/CPACTUALITES

LMFAO

here is a translation:

Stephen Harper asserts that it is necessary to change the culture which accepts too easily, since the 60s, the consumption of drug. He tells not to be himself without criticism, telling, almost on a tone of confession, that he allows his young son to listen to his disks of The Beatles.

Prime Minister says that his son asks him for what the words of these songs mean. All the same, he assures that he likes this music and that he does not going to hide his discs.

That is what I hate about Conservatives, they are way too conservatives. lol

pot is harmless? :lol: dont make me laugh- it has long lasting effects on the brain- i know people who use it that much they cant function properly. it is harmless to society because people who smoke generally cant even be bothered to move but it is harming them- then again if you wana be reatrd the rest of your life then fine- do as you like.

Little stats I got from a seminar...

In Canada, 90% of drug-related judicial cases are about pot. That 90% represents less that 1% of the total estimated pot traffic in Canada.

Its not just about the morality of pot; its also about the futility of trying to prosecute it. The judicial system is completely overwhelmed by petty pot cases.

I wouldn't legalize it (meaning the Government would be forced to "garantee" that any citizen have access to pot) but I would certainly decriminalize it and put it on the same level as cigarettes and alcohol.

putting it on the same level as alcohol and tobacco is legalizing it.

Legalize it and sell the pot in Government Liquor stores.

Harper was talking how bad it is, how many people die a day from tobacco related cancers? Or alcoholism or better yet Heart Disease.

much higher of course because that's the real problems facing us in society.

To be more clear.....fighting the drug war is futile. There will always be supply as long as there is demand.

But to be fair to Harper, not all the funds are tagged for drug enforcement. 2/3 of the money is directed towards treatment for drug addiction.

To be more clear.....fighting the drug war is futile. There will always be supply as long as there is demand.

But to be fair to Harper, not all the funds are tagged for drug enforcement. 2/3 of the money is directed towards treatment for drug addiction.

in england if you have an illegal drug addiction that the government aint making cash out of you can get NHS treatment- but if you pay four pound in every 5 pound for a 20 pack of cigarettes and your a smoker, or your obese- doctors are now refusing to treat you- disgusting.

i was arrested 2 nights ago for possession of .2g of pot. i didnt get charged though.

.2g is basically $2 worth. can't even roll it. harper is probably responsible. the police never cared before.

Edited by fromage

One particularly obscene thing about this is it gives all sorts of discretionary power to the common police officer. In this day and age a criminal record can stop a person from getting jobs and from traveling abroad, even if they are one day pardoned, because US immigration has long reserved the right to disregard "cleaned" records and deny entry based on any criminal conviction in a person's past.

So if a cop is having a bad day or doesn't like the looks of some kids sharing a spliff in Carré St Louis, in one second he can totally screw up their lives. And when society declares a kid a criminal, there's a pretty good chance the kid will learn to act like one. Or will cops go after the old potheads, the white ponytails making pottery and listening to Harmonium? This just makes no sense, I hope Canadians strongly protest and block the initiative. It is a bad, bad idea if Canada is going to cave into US pressure on pot laws.

One particularly obscene thing about this is it gives all sorts of discretionary power to the common police officer. In this day and age a criminal record can stop a person from getting jobs and from traveling abroad, even if they are one day pardoned, because US immigration has long reserved the right to disregard "cleaned" records and deny entry based on any criminal conviction in a person's past.

So if a cop is having a bad day or doesn't like the looks of some kids sharing a spliff in Carré St Louis, in one second he can totally screw up their lives. And when society declares a kid a criminal, there's a pretty good chance the kid will learn to act like one. Or will cops go after the old potheads, the white ponytails making pottery and listening to Harmonium? This just makes no sense, I hope Canadians strongly protest and block the initiative. It is a bad, bad idea if Canada is going to cave into US pressure on pot laws.

i have to agree with you 100% spot on with that mate. great post. over here it wouldnt go on your record you'd just get it took off you. most police turn a blind eye to pot smoking now.