Komisarek Article

Zowpeb

Has Komisarek really developed into the player expected?

I say no...that's not to say he's a bad defenceman, nor is it to say that he's not incredibly valuable.

However, he has not developed to his full expectation. I think it's certainly looking through rose coloured glasses to say that he's everything that they hoped when they drafted him.

They had MUCH higher expectations of his offensive potential.

I also don't think he's reached his ceiling yet in any area. I think he has the talent and ability to be even better defensively and I still think he has the raw ability to put up 30-40 points, though admittedly he'd need some PP time to get there...which he won't see.

I dunno, I never saw Komisarek as an offensive force. What I hoped was that he'd become one of the league's premier shut-down defencemen (sort of like Adam Foote was in his heyday, or Scott Stevens minus the vicious elbows). Komi has emerged as one of the league's top physical defencemen, but I don't think he's quite there yet. Ideally, he would become a guy who gives everyone in the building the sense that, 'OK, I'm on the ice, the bad guys are NOT gonna score.' Maybe in a year or two. Meanwhile, he lays on the body like crazy, so no complaints. :clap:

the guy went thru rough family times also which might of hindered some of his development. He's still a young defenseman and defenseman hit their peak later usually.

He's gaining experience....h'ell be up there eventually, will be a be lindstorm...heck no. Can he be a force brute defenseman ...i think so.

I think they were expecting a top pairing defenceman and they got a borderline top pairing defenceman, although Komisarek may still improve. I don't think he was ever expected to develop very quickly.

I'm also hoping Komisarek will get some powerplay time this season, although it might be difficult with the return of Brisebois. With Markov, Hamrlik, Streit, and Brisebois, we're pretty much set for the powerplay (at least Bouillon won't be there anymore!).

Looking at Komisarek's record before the NHL, it definitely seems to have some offensive potential. His record as a sophomore in the NCAA was impressive, although it could be misleading since Mike Cammalleri was on the team, and his 30 points in 56 games as a rookie with the Bulldogs were as good, if not better, than any other defenseman on the team including Hainsey, Bouillon, or even Marc-Andre Bergeron. And these guys were all older and more experienced.

In addition, his record at even strength last season was as good as anyone else's, including Souray and Markov.

During camp, I wish we would have at least gave Komisarek a chance to prove that he's more than a simple shutdown defenseman, but I guess he's not about to get one. I doubt he could ever give us a 50-point season, but the 30-35 range is definitely within his reach.

I'm also hoping Komisarek will get some powerplay time this season, although it might be difficult with the return of Brisebois. With Markov, Hamrlik, Streit, and Brisebois, we're pretty much set for the powerplay (at least Bouillon won't be there anymore!).

Looking at Komisarek's record before the NHL, it definitely seems to have some offensive potential. His record as a sophomore in the NCAA was impressive, although it could be misleading since Mike Cammalleri was on the team, and his 30 points in 56 games as a rookie with the Bulldogs were as good, if not better, than any other defenseman on the team including Hainsey, Bouillon, or even Marc-Andre Bergeron. And these guys were all older and more experienced.

In addition, his record at even strength last season was as good as anyone else's, including Souray and Markov.

During camp, I wish we would have at least gave Komisarek a chance to prove that he's more than a simple shutdown defenseman, but I guess he's not about to get one. I doubt he could ever give us a 50-point season, but the 30-35 range is definitely within his reach.

I think he will get one there will be injuries and I believe Carobnneau will go to him before he goes to a forward on the point.

Komi's a shut-down defenseman with a physical edge to his game. Top that off with the leadership role he's taken upon himself over the past season and a half and anything else is gravey.

While his offensive game is nothing to write home about, but the guy is only 25. That means there's still plenty of time to work on it seeing as he's still about two years away from his prime.

A couple of questions:

What does Komisarek make per year?

and,

Do you think Komisarek is an agitator? :huh:

Edited by MMPL

1.5M this year, 1.9M next year - so 1.7M vs the cap.

I wouldn't call him an agitator - he does agitate the opposition and get under their skin but he has a lot more to his game - I think that would be like calling Chara an enforcer.

On the agitator question - I LOVED what he did against Crosby in the first game of pre-season. :D

Me too

I hope he does more of that!

I like Komi, I just wish he'd back up those little rabbit punches and shoves in front of the net. Too many times last year opponents wanted to dance with Komi, but he'd just stand there and shove or do nothing.

Komi did go with Brashear last year. It was a crap fight and Komi pretty much jumped him. I do think he CAN throw 'em but I also think he's NOT the guy you want in the box for 5 minutes.

WE NEED A GOON. EVEN IF HE SEE'S 25 GMS A YEAR.......WE ARE WEAK WHEN IT COMES TO SELF DEFENSE. REMEMBER ORPIK'S HIT ON KOIVU AND NOBODY CAME TO HIS DEFENSE.........

what did he do?

Habs were killing a penalty and Crosby was infront of the net.

Komisarek and Crosby start battling by the end of it Komisarek got a penalty but so did Crosby as well as Recchi who joined in afterwards. On the ensuing 3 on 3 Kovalev walked in over the blue line and popped off the watter bottle.

Edited by JMMR

Habs were killing a penalty and Crosby was infront of the net.

Komisarek and Crosby start battling by the end of it Komisarek got a penalty but so did Crosby as well as Recchi who joined in afterwards. On the ensuing 3 on 3 Kovalev walked in over the blue line and popped off the watter bottle.

yeah that was the neatest play I have seen Komi make. just great. He is very quietly the #2 defenceman on this team. He will get better. Just a little patience.

yeah that was the neatest play I have seen Komi make. just great. He is very quietly the #2 defenceman on this team. He will get better. Just a little patience.

Komy fluffed off Cole like a fly tonight, that was great. Cole is hard to knock off his feet and Komisarek manhandled him.