Game Thread | Montreal vs. Carolina | 10/03/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing before I go to bed.

Was it just me or did it look like Lats was ankle burning out there? I thought he looked sloooooooooooooow

Worked late, but just watched the compressed version on Canadiens Expresse. Some thoughts:

-Yes, Wamsley, Lats looked slow. Terrible. He also got pushed around a bit. I don't think the weight loss is helping. Bad news. But as he also sucked early last year, hopefully he's just a slow starter...

-Komisarek had a couple of wobbly shifts, which is slightly worrisome - we need him to be big this season.

-Higgins looked a bit frustrated at times, but dangerous. If he finds the groove soon, look out. If not, could be trouble.

-Kovalev - a decent effort and a promisingly dangerous line. I was impressed that Kostityn bounced back from that crushing hit he helpfully waltzed into.

-Brisebois: people no doubt are reviling for that giveaway in the dying minutes, but he actually played a very strong game all around, bringing a surprising amount of presence and doing lots of nice things. He could turn out to be a pleasant surprise for all the pathological haters.

-Streit!!! Holy Mackarel, what a game - he looked more like Markov than Markov out there. Can it be possible that this guy has not yet hit his ceiling? We'll see, but it's exciting to think we snuck in a top-4 D-man under everyone's nose. Can you say secret weapon? More games like this, he'll be one.

-Hamrlik asserted himself more as the game went on. Looks like he'll come as advertised: good all around game, heavy shot from the point. A good asset. Probably not worth all those massive bucks, but that's UFAs for ya.

-I don't think Plekanec will put up offensive numbers playing with those guys. It's worth asking whether his current role will hurt his development as a player who everyone had picked for an offensive step forward.

-The Habs dominated the second half of that game and reined in the stupid penalties. That suggests to me some effective coaching adjustments, so kudos to Carbo. It also suggests some character. Which brings us to...

-Koivu: Just won the game for us and killed the Hurricanes. As usual. :hlogo: :hlogo:

I hate to be the guy to burst this happy winning bubble but someone has to.

My oponion of the game. Yuck.

There was no flow. The team played terrible together. They had a tought time controlling the flow. This, against a Hurricane team that was not playing very well.

If we keep this type of game we are going to get our asses handed to us by ToRoto.

We got lucky last night.

On the upside, Huet looked great.

Breeze-by did well.

Streit was great.

Koivu played as a captain should.

Can you pratice chemistry? I hope so.

I hate to be the guy to burst this happy winning bubble but someone has to.

My oponion of the game. Yuck.

There was no flow. The team played terrible together. They had a tought time controlling the flow. This, against a Hurricane team that was not playing very well.

If we keep this type of game we are going to get our asses handed to us by ToRoto.

We got lucky last night.

On the upside, Huet looked great.

Breeze-by did well.

Streit was great.

Koivu played as a captain should.

Can you pratice chemistry? I hope so.

It's only the first game. Both teams looked rusty but with it being the first game you could tell there was a lot of enrgy and spirit that mind and body wasn't ready for on both sides.

You would be a fool to not be happy about the speed , forecheck and intensity the habs had....How about offense?, I haven't watched a habs game in a long time where I saw so many quality shots. How about the way they kept pushing offense even when they took the lead? When was the last time we saw that? Did you watch any other games? They were all high speed sloppy affairs. Are the Habs going to win everygame this year ? no, but it looks like they are going to be fun to watch. I'm diggin that. There a lot of good things going on that they will hopefully keep and build on. Quit bitchin and moaning already. It was the first game and it was good. Enjoy it.

Yes, it was a win, it wasn't the best game but it was 2 points. Unfortunately they gave Carolina 1. Overall they played hard for about 45 or 50 minutes. Last year that would have taken atleast 2 games to get that amount of effort.

Bad News;

Stupid Penalties this will kill them down the road. They need to smarten up

Didn't do anything 5 on 5 again.

Grabovski looked lost out there

5 on 5 in the minus again

Gave up a late lead again

Good news:

A defense that can skate? I am definitely not use to seeing that

A transition game? What is that? Made several good passes out of the D zone tonight

Hustle, that is nice to see for a change, can they keep it up?

PP and PK were good (I guess it's all not about Souray)

Some physical play is nice to see

Players who did well

Kostopolous, all over the ice, played physical and smart

Koivu, finally finishing

third line did there job

Defense as a group was good

Brisby had a couple of gaffs, nothing major, overall solid

Bouillon out of position all night, missed an open net (Gorges anyone)

Let's see the good effort again Saturday, i'm looking for consitancy this year. They are getting the Leafs 3 in 4 nights

Yes, it was a win, it wasn't the best game but it was 2 points. Unfortunately they gave Carolina 1. Overall they played hard for about 45 or 50 minutes. Last year that would have taken atleast 2 games to get that amount of effort.

Bad News;

Good news:

A transition game? What is that? Made several good passes out of the D zone tonight

Players who did well

Koivu, finally finishing

third line did there job

Let's see the good effort again Saturday, i'm looking for consitancy this year. They are getting the Leafs 3 in 4 nights

Good in depth analysis and very level headed. Thanks Chris. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Bad News;

Good news:

Players who did well

Koivu, finally finishing

third line did there job

I disagree with not doing anything 5 on 5. They created alot of offensive chances 5 on 5.

Unfortunately they did not bury their chances. They caused the Canes to take penalties and hemmed the Canes in their zone for periods. But you do not get 40 shots when you are not creating offense 5 on 5. Both teams had 8 PPs.

I understand that everybody is happy with the performance. At the same time all the problems have not disappeared. But the this defense looks like it can move the puck a hell of a lot better than last season.

It will be nice to get the speedy forwards creating more in transition.

There are signs of encouragement, but nobody here will forget that you need to play 82 after last season. I am not buying into anything with this team until they prove to me that the culture has changed and they are not going to bounce up and down all season.

Game 1 - Satisfied

Game 2 - TBD

Edited by Wamsley01

Yep, the team is definitely following Daft Punk's outline and looked harder, better, faster, stronger than last year but they played a satisfactory game last night, nothing more. I was happy with a lot of individual players but they've got to find some chemistry. The Leafs definitely have it; they aren't as talented as us but they play better as a team. We're going to have to find some chemistry and the offsensive players (aside from Kovalev and the 1st line) need to start creating their own scoring chances.

Bad News;

Good news:

Players who did well

Koivu, finally finishing

third line did there job

Cristo-Wall-Huet!

Outstanding.

Good job Habs!

Played particularly well:

- Koivu - and some people still have the nerve to question him as a 1st line center... die in a fire koivu haters

- Brisebois - i'm impressed with his play so far. I decided to accept him in Montreal and forget about the past, and i'm glad i did. A fresh start for Brisebois, and so far he isn't disappointing

- Markov - how many times did you hear markov's name tonight? not many, and that's a great thing. i had my eye on him the whole game, and he seemed incredibly solid, zero mistakes

- Huet - asside from that sloppy goal, he was outstanding. That stick save from behind... incredible. Luck played a part, obviously, but still. What a save.

- The 4th line - There were times i thought our 4th line was our 2nd! Great work Bégin and co.

- Almost forgot : Streit - he keeps improving, and he seems more and more like a complete defenseman every game. His slap shot is pretty impressive too! Sheldon who?

I'm also pleased with Kovalev, although he wasn't particularly amazing, he was consistent the whole game, as was the Kovy grabs #### line. I hope to see more of them! Keep it up Kovy, i'm rooting for you. Nothing i'd like to see more than Kovy play to his full potential.

Cataclaw's gold star of the match goes to: RDS HD - for making me cry tears of joy

I DEFINITELY agree with this. We switched a couple of times to the basic RDS just to compare : WOW !!!!

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!

i LOST MY VOICE BEFORE OVER TIME EVEN STARTED LOL!!

GREAT GAME SPECIAL K!!!!!

How bout streit

Im saving my voice so I can lose it yelling at stupid calls on saterday against the laffs. LOL

Anyone have thought on possible lineup changes for Saturday. Maybe Chips in, Dandy, Grabs, or Lats out. Gorges in for Boullion. Wouldn't be too surprised to see the same lineup, but would be nice to see those two in there, especially Gorges.

Also, anyone else loving the Begin hit on Williams.

I DEFINITELY agree with this. We switched a couple of times to the basic RDS just to compare : WOW !!!!

Yup, I agree too. HD just made hockey even better :)

Also i'm overall pleased with what I saw in this game, with one major exception : all those stupid penalties. Against a team that's better in attack than the Canes like say the Pens or the Sens, it will end up costing us big time. Discipline boys, discipline!

Streit wow.. what a beast that guy is now. He was eveyrwhere. I'm impressed! Koivu and Markov had great games too but that was more expected.

It still dosen't do justice for what he did :angry:

I agree. Just like to see Williams pasted at any time. The Habs shoulda signed a goon to play just when they play the Canes. Williams shoulda been held accountable. Somebody needs to pound his sorry ass.

Also, anyone else loving the Begin hit on Williams.

Loved the hit, would have loved a fight even more tho!

As for the line changes:

I would like to see Chips play, but not for grabs or lats, maybe for Dandy or Kostopoulis.

Gorges will get his shot, but I doubt against the leafs. Boullion is a leaf KILLER! Mark my words for that.

:ghg:

Yup, I agree too. HD just made hockey even better :)

RDS featured the game in HD last night?!?!?!? :blink:

On starchoice it wasn't on HD there was some other french show.

most players "duos and trios" needed gelling and thats normal still at this stage... but I have to admit that the defense looked better than I thought it would be against. Not alot of shot blocking mind you! Still I think its madness to do so but nevertheless...

priority now is the second line (anyone now how Kosti's situation is?

I for one am pleased with Kovy's play of yesterday. If he can at least give that much work night after night (which probably was 80% of his potential) than I'll be fine with that ... he was hungry last night. Im glad he is the third A. Good choice by Gainey! he needs to lead the young Soviets.

Loved it when he was trying to hind behind the net in the third period :)

If Kovalev plays every game the way he did last night he will be a point a game player - and that was only a shadow of his full potential. Great stuff from him, I've always liked the guy, he gets a bad knock from way too many. Yes, he has his faults but the bottom line is that he increases this team's chances of winning as much as anyone else on the lineup does. I think he'll teach Grabovski and Kostitsyn his good habits and not his bad ones - though I'm really not high on Grabovski so I'm not sure what he will learn.

Can someone clear this up for me? I know higgins is one of the A's, but from some of what I've read, it seems Markov's the other A, and from other stuff, it seems Kovy's the other A? Who is it? Who were the A's last night?

Does anyone know what the situation is???

Can someone clear this up for me? I know higgins is one of the A's, but from some of what I've read, it seems Markov's the other A, and from other stuff, it seems Kovy's the other A? Who is it? Who were the A's last night?

Does anyone know what the situation is???

I think Carbo is going with this:

Home:

"C" Koivu

"A" Higgins

"A" Markov

Road:

"C" Koivu

"A" Kovalev

"A" Markov or Komisarek

If Kovalev plays every game the way he did last night he will be a point a game player - and that was only a shadow of his full potential. Great stuff from him, I've always liked the guy, he gets a bad knock from way too many. Yes, he has his faults but the bottom line is that he increases this team's chances of winning as much as anyone else on the lineup does. I think he'll teach Grabovski and Kostitsyn his good habits and not his bad ones - though I'm really not high on Grabovski so I'm not sure what he will learn.

It is sad when you just expect nothing from Kovy and are happy when he gives you something.

Not exactly the best 4.5M spent. But if he steps up his play it changes the face of this team.