Provenance of the current team

Peter Puck

Okay I finally made it. Post #797. Whee. :rolleyes:

To celebrate finally getting to post #797 I decided to take a look at how we've improved over

the last few years. I noticed that we have 6 of our own first round picks now on the roster and a

total of 13 guys we drafted ourselves. Here is a look at when some of our current roster was chosen.

We have 6 of our own first round picks (including 5 from consecutive years):

Koivu round #1, 21st overall in 1993.

Komisarek round #1, 7th overall in 2001.

Higgins round #1, 14th overall in 2002.

A. Kostitsyn round #1, 10th overall in 2003.

Chipchura round #1, 18th overall in 2004.

Price round #1, 5th overall in 2005.

We have 7 other of our own draft picks:

Latendresse round #2, 45th overall in 2005.

Brisebois round #2, 30th overall in 1989.

Plekanec round #3, 71st overall in 2001.

Grabovski round #5, 150th overall in 2004.

Markov round #6, 162nd overall in 1998.

Ryder round #8, 216th overall in 1998.

Streit round #9, 262nd overall in 2004.

The best part of this is that excepting Koivu and Brisebois these are all young guys.

Plus we have a few other guys who, although a little long in the tooth, were drafted pretty high:

Hamrlik round #1, 1st overall by Tampa Bay in 1992.

Kovalev round #1, 15th overall by Rangers in 1991.

Smolinski round #1, 21st overall in 1990.

We've come a long way since the dark days of 2000.

Of course, high draft picks don't neccesarily mean good players. But players get picked in the first round because of their high upside. We have a number of guys set to achieve everyone's high expectations. Maybe not this year but we're on our way to being an elite team again.

Edited by Peter Puck

When you said you hit #797 I looked at mine.... I missed #1000 a little while ago. :(

Oh well, Hamrlik gets his 1000th on Wednesday :clap:

Edited by Habitforming

Best post #797 EVER!

I don't even know what my post count is as I ramble so much I stopped looking after #2.

I think it is exciting to see Montreal keeping and developing #1 picks. It is how the Habs are going to build to be a championship type team.

Goaltending - Check

Defence - Check (Young Guys are starting to make the club)

Offense - Needs more Centre position drafting/development.

Going to love watching this team play.

Breezer at 30th overall would be a 1st round pick now.

Bouillon was undrafted, but completely developed by the Habs organization once he turned pro, so I think he counts in the "homegrown" file as well.

Best post #797 EVER!

I don't even know what my post count is as I ramble so much I stopped looking after #2.

I think it is exciting to see Montreal keeping and developing #1 picks. It is how the Habs are going to build to be a championship type team.

Goaltending - Check

I think that now the Habs have taken a top goalie, and now a few drafts stocked with D that all the focus will go to LW and Centre for the next draft(s) depending who they get of course.

Best post #797 EVER!

Goaltending - Check

Esposito would have helped.

That's yet to be determined. In my humble opinion, I think we're better off having passed on him.

May I ask what the signifigance 797 posts is? I was not aware that it meant something. BUT hey what the hell congtatulations!! kick up your feet relax and have a wobbly pop or 2. :clap:

When you said you hit #797 I looked at mine.... I missed #1000 a little while ago. :(

Oh well, Hamrlik gets his 1000th on Wednesday :clap:

Your forgetting Kovalev and Smolinski should be hitting 1000 games this year too. ;)

Your forgetting Kovalev and Smolinski should be hitting 1000 games this year too. ;)

If all goes well it'll be this month, actually. 3 in one month is pretty amazing and I think unprecedented for one team.

May I ask what the signifigance 797 posts is? I was not aware that it meant something. BUT hey what the hell congtatulations!! kick up your feet relax and have a wobbly pop or 2. :clap:

Ah ... . I thought that would be obvious. I've been aiming for this for a long time.

I'll give you a hint, HR. You should be aiming for post number 875.

Edited by Peter Puck

Ah ... . I thought that would be obvious. I've been aiming for this for a long time.

I'll give you a hint, HR. You should have celebrated your 619th post.

:P you might wanna check that again.

If all goes well it'll be this month, actually. 3 in one month is pretty amazing and I think unprecedented for one team.

An NHL record it will be!

Some others celebrting 1000 are O.Nolan and Mike Sillinger.

I cant help but htink that Ben maxwell will be a force in the NHL in about 2-3 years

with the track record of trevor timmins, if he snubbed esposito twice, that tells me much about the kids caracter. he may be a force in pittsburgh but he won't have to be THE man, there, as we would've expected of him in montreal

I'm fine with Pacioretty.

ever since the hockey news prospects guide came out, I've been raving about him. I hope he truns out good.

I'll give you a hint, HR. You should be aiming for post number 875.

Sorry it was just too obvious. :?-

Streit round #9, 262nd overall in 2004

What a steal!!!! :clap:^_^