How many points will the Habs finish the season with?

Peter Puck

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the decimal point necessary? :P

Actually it is. I rounded our pace to one decimal place, as I plan to do in the future. Today we are on a pace for 99.9726... points.

If we win our next game we'll be on a pace for 100.8 points.

Well my original post was depandant on the first game which Montreal won so 101 would be my actual number.

Sorry JMMR, if I really believed that I'd have to disqualify you (There are few things more satisfying than flaunting power over a mod). Only pre-season predictions allowed.

Edited by Peter Puck

Sorry JMMR, if I really believed that I'd have to disqualify you (There are few things more satisfying than flaunting power over a mod). Only pre-season predictions allowed.

On October 3rd

99 or 101

Depending on what happens tonight.

I'll be happy when (notice, not if) my name gets crossed off the list. :lol:

I actually talked about my prediction in detail with another Habs fan over a few beers back in Sept. I said that if Buffalo dropped, we could finish higher in the standings (I said nothing about points, but I guess that was implied). I figured of the 3 teams in our division (Boston, Toronto, and us) we were the most likely to take advantage of such an opening. That opening happened. I never could predict Ottawa's struggles and the possibility of taking advantage of that, which is by no means a guarantee even at this stage but it is a possibility.

My problem was I didn't accurately predict the teams that underachieved compared to last year, moreso than underestimate Montreal. I felt we were the best of the group of teams that was "un-established", but we'd need help to move into the "elite" group of the East. We got some help, and we took advantage. So in a long-winded sense, I was right. :blink:

:lol:

And in retrospect, the Rangers aren't as strong as I thought they should be, but I guess they aren't terribly far off. Buffalo was who I had as the 6th seed, with an all-Patrick Division matchup in the 4-5 spot (Devils-Rangers, I think with Pittsburgh getting the #2 seed, but I could be mixed up).

9 Games left. 89 points. Maximum attainable is 107. On pace for 100.0 points.

marty and komi 88

Pierre the Great 88

Chris 90

Dutch Habs Fan 93

Partisan 93

Joe Lassiter 94

saskhab 94

Koivu11 95

MMPL 95

maratimehabfan 95

Peter Puck 96

bigbird19 96

simonus 96

Punkned 97

lasy26 97

habs#4,9,10,33 97

les glorieux 98

habsrule 98

xXx..CK..xXx 98

BTH 99

JeanLucPilon 99

HelmetHead 99

tokyohabs 100

JMMR 100 (average of his 2 picks 99 and 101)

johnnyhasbeen 101

Cataclaw 101

NILAN/KORDIC 102

geolink 103

Athletic.Canadien 103

Adirondack Bud 104

Wamsley01 105 (and 88)

Glenn Healey predicts: out of the playoffs

Mike Milbury predicts: out of the playoffs

The Hockey News "Experts :rolleyes:": out of the playoffs

Fixed.

8 Games left. 90 points. Maximum attainable is 106. On pace for 99.7 points.

marty and komi 88

Pierre the Great 88

Chris 90

Dutch Habs Fan 93

Partisan 93

Joe Lassiter 94

saskhab 94

Koivu11 95

MMPL 95

maratimehabfan 95

Peter Puck 96

bigbird19 96

simonus 96

Punkned 97

lasy26 97

habs#4,9,10,33 97

les glorieux 98

habsrule 98

xXx..CK..xXx 98

BTH 99

JeanLucPilon 99

HelmetHead 99

tokyohabs 100

johnnyhasbeen 101

Cataclaw 101

NILAN/KORDIC 102

geolink 103

Athletic.Canadien 103

Adirondack Bud 104

Wamsley01 105 (and 88)

Hockey News Experts predict: out of playoffs

I really hope my 98 (4-4) prediction is wrong. I can see us going 2-0 vs. Boston, 1-1 vs. Buffalo, 1-1 vs. Ottawa, and 1-1 vs. The Leafs. Throw in an OT/SO loss and that puts us at 5-2-1 and 101 points, with johnnyhasbeen and Cataclaw taking the honours. We'll see though. I think that record would fit pretty well with how we've done previously this season. It might be tough to sweep the season series with the Bruins though.

I think too many habsfans are taking the Bruins lightly. I wouldn'T be surprised to see The Pooh-Bears will take one of the games vs the Habs.

The Habs could finish the season with a 3-4-1 record. It would not surprise me one bit!

Edited by Habsfan

It's funny. I predicted 105 and figured that would be good for 4th-5th. I didn't think that 105

would win the Conference.

On that list it looks ridiculously optimistic before the season started, when in reality I was picking

them to make the playoffs comfortably and finish behind Ottawa.

My 91 point prediction on the low end was if things didn't go well I was figuring on them battling for

the 8th spot and either making it by a point or losing out like they did last year.

I definitely thought they would be in the playoff mix though. Not like the experts :wacko:

Edited by Wamsley01

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but since everyone is going back to what they were saying at the beginning of the season I thought I'd post this...

Game Thread | Florida vs. Montreal | 10/16/07

Helmethead

You guys are hilarious.

Whoever thinks that this team is not performing, or hasn't shown signs of major fundamental improvement as compared to the past decade is sniffing glue.

We FINALLY have a nucleus comparable to teams that we have been envying since 1995. Do not underestimate the hockey sense, general capability and heart of the players of this team. I honestly believe that the mettal of most of our players under 25 (Higgins, Komi, Pleks, Chipchura and Price to name a few) is at least at par with that of that of Carbonneau, Skrugland, McPhee, Lemieux, Chelios and Roy.

The difference is that the 1986 team was surrounded and literally broken in by Future Hall of Famers - Gainey and Robinson and others. Unfortunately, this 2007-2008 team isn't. Hence, these players need time to create their own identity. They need to find the way to win. The effort is there, and as time goes by, you will see this effort become more and more consistant. With this consistancy will come confidence. And with the confidence will come the results. And because this is a young team, with a deep farmteam (thank you Andre Savard and Bob Gainey) there will be a spillover effect through the system.

Gainey is well aware of what this team needs. He is very reluctant to pull the trigger on a move that would bear our cupboard. Why you ask? Cause he (directly and indirectly) has been grooming these players to become leaders; to become winners. He knows their potential, and that's what worries him. You can either mortgage part of your future for someone who's gonna "possibly" help you in the short term, or be a little more patient and wait things out.

Some people mentioned Gainey's trade of Iginla for Nieuendyk that brought Dallas the cup. Agreed, however there is one glaring difference between the NHL of then and now. Back then, trading prospects for primetime players would have the opportunity cost of losing a prospect. THAT'S IT! Today, not only do you risk losing a prospect(s) but you also risk putting your team in an uncompetitive position for many many years to come.

Why? Cause of the salary cap. Fans have been kicking and screaming about the Habs inability to lure expensive UFA's over the past two summers. I am personally glad we haven't been able to. Any deal that sucks out over 20% of your cap space is LETHAL! Philly (was and is still) playing russian roulette with Briere. And all looks fine and dandy right now, and yes he MIGHT perform for them throughout the course of the year, but he has to do that CONSISTANTLY for the duration of his contract. If he doesn't - ur @#$#^*!!! Cause I'll bet you my last souvlaki that no one will want to take a risk on him at a cap hit of +8million a year. Oh, and for every one Briere there is a Brian McCabe or Zdeno Chara (you get the picture).

That being said, I believe Gainey will make a bold move. It might be at the tradedeadline, it might be at the draft, it might be this afternoon. Bottom line is he is in full control of this team and overall we should all be very satisfied with his work. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't be critisized or that every move he make makes sense (Souray SHOULD HAVE BEEN DEALT!) but overall he has turned this team around.

Trade Huet??? In my opinion, he should sign him ASAP.

Geez...not only am I on pace to win point prediction competition, but I wrote this gem of a post back in October! Only thing I screwed up on was how I thought the whole Huet ordeal should be handled.

This team is destined for great things. We have gotten our first glimps this year. I have full faith in their ability and I seriously think that they will continue to surpise all the pundits.

Anyone else think I should book my tickets to Montreal for June?? :rolleyes:

:ghg:

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but since everyone is going back to what they were saying at the beginning of the season I thought I'd post this...

Geez...not only am I on pace to win point prediction competition, but I wrote this gem of a post back in October! Only thing I screwed up on was how I thought the whole Huet ordeal should be handled.

This team is destined for great things. We have gotten our first glimps this year. I have full faith in their ability and I seriously think that they will continue to surpise all the pundits.

Anyone else think I should book my tickets to Montreal for June?? :rolleyes:

:ghg:

I remember you being one of few who were fully onboard with little complaints.

I was shocked when looking back at all the predictions in how many had the Habs making the playoffs, and how ridiculously off the board my prediction was because it felt like Cucumber and I were fighting all summer about how things were on track and going well.

But the numbers can be deceiving. Like I said, I made my prediction based on what it would take for 4th-5th in the Conference based off the 2 post lockout years. In 2006 105 points would have placed the Habs 5th, in 2007 105 pts would have placed them 5th again. So looking at that list people are pounding their chest about how their prediction is right when in reality most of those point to a 6th-8th seed.

So all those under 100 predictions were looking at a low Eastern seed with no home ice advantage, but since this season has played out with the leaders finishing a good 10 points behind their regular pace everybody who was not so optimistic looks to be bang on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of the people on this board did not predict this strong a season for the Habs, but with these predictions it looks like everybody was happy as hell in the summer time and knew all along that this team was destined for this finish. These numbers may be close, but they do not capture the mood that was prevelant on this board in October.

And this is not intended for any one individual, but at the expectation level in October that are not consistent with a possible Division title.

I am sure some of that list were optimistic, but next season we should place the number in the conference we feel that the Canadiens

will finish for a more accurate post year assessment.

Edited by Wamsley01

Anyone else think I should book my tickets to Montreal for June??

Yeah, I do. June..................................................................2009!! ;)

7 Games left. 92 points. Maximum attainable is 106. On pace for 100.6 points.

marty and komi 88

Pierre the Great 88

Chris 90

Dutch Habs Fan 93

Partisan 93

Joe Lassiter 94

saskhab 94

Koivu11 95

MMPL 95

maratimehabfan 95

Peter Puck 96

bigbird19 96

simonus 96

Punkned 97

lasy26 97

habs#4,9,10,33 97

les glorieux 98

habsrule 98

xXx..CK..xXx 98

BTH 99

JeanLucPilon 99

HelmetHead 99

tokyohabs 100

johnnyhasbeen 101

Cataclaw 101

NILAN/KORDIC 102

geolink 103

Athletic.Canadien 103

Adirondack Bud 104

Wamsley01 105 (and 88)

Hockey News experts predict: out of the playoffs

I really hope my 98 (4-4) prediction is wrong.

I remember this thread and I've been thinking the exact same thing as of late. I want it to happen because of the prediction, but doubt it would be good enough for home ice.

Although I have to say, I had a feeling we were going to lose to the blues in the shootout because we needed an even number to make 98 possible (had 89 before the blues game).

6 Games left. 94 points. Maximum attainable is 106. On pace for 101.4 points.

marty and komi 88

Pierre the Great 88

Chris 90

Dutch Habs Fan 93

Partisan 93

Joe Lassiter 94

saskhab 94

Koivu11 95

MMPL 95

maratimehabfan 95

Peter Puck 96

bigbird19 96

simonus 96

Punkned 97

lasy26 97

habs#4,9,10,33 97

les glorieux 98

habsrule 98

xXx..CK..xXx 98

BTH 99

JeanLucPilon 99

HelmetHead 99

tokyohabs 100

johnnyhasbeen 101

Cataclaw 101

NILAN/KORDIC 102

geolink 103

Athletic.Canadien 103

Adirondack Bud 104

Wamsley01 105 (and 88)

Hockey News experts predict: out of the playoffs

6 Games left. 94 points. Maximum attainable is 106. On pace for 101.4 points.

I don't get why you use a decimal point, there are no fractions of points in hockey, so you might as well just round it off. You don't see TSN giving Kovalev a projected 85.284 point total on the season.

I don't get why you use a decimal point, there are no fractions of points in hockey, so you might as well just round it off. You don't see TSN giving Kovalev a projected 85.284 point total on the season.

"specificity" and appreciated. Just round it off yourself if it bugs you.

Last season with 6 games to go we were sitting with 84 points. We split the last 6 going 3-3 and finished outside looking in (with more wins then the 8th and 9th teams :puke: ).

I'm glad we don't have to worry about that this year.

Edited by Habitforming