Leafs Jason Blake diagnosed with leukaemia

Pierre the Great

Paul Maurice said "I'm not familiar with the condition so it was new that something like this would be as treatable and for such a positive sentence to come after such a negative sentence, it takes a little while to get your head around it."

No doubt though. I've never heard of a cancer that isnt serious. How the hell could he not miss any playing time? :blink:

Thats probably just the absolute best case scenario.

Either way it sux0rs for Blake, and the Leaf organization. I hope he fights it off with his scrappy attitude just like he does in the corners with pucks. Best of health to you Blake.

this form runs in my family. Its a white blood cell disease. It's absolutely horrible. 3 generations of PTG's have died from it.

He's going to get really tired a lot, some days not be able to get out of bed or living room.

good news its a very slow cancer

bad news, its a very slow cancer

He's in the chronic phase right now:

Approximately 85% of patients with CML are in the chronic phase at the time of diagnosis. During this phase, patients are usually asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms of fatigue or abdominal fullness. The duration of chronic phase is variable and depends on how early the disease was diagnosed as well as the therapies used. Ultimately, in the absence of curative treatment, the disease progresses to an accelerated phase.

Then it is:

Accelerated phase

Criteria for diagnosing transition into the accelerated phase are somewhat variable; the most widely used criteria are those put forward by investigators at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, by Sokal et al, and the World Health Organization. The WHO criteria are perhaps most widely used, and include:

* 10–19% myeloblasts in the blood or bone marrow

* >20% basophils in the blood or bone marrow

* Platelet count <100,000, unrelated to therapy

* Platelet count >1,000,000, unresponsive to therapy

* Cytogenetic evolution with new abnormalities in addition to the Philadelphia chromosome

* Increasing splenomegaly or white blood cell count, unresponsive to therapy

The patient is considered to be in the accelerated phase if any of the above are present. The accelerated phase is significant because it signals that the disease is progressing and transformation to blast crisis is imminent.

Blast crisis

Blast crisis is the final phase in the evolution of CML, and behaves like an acute leukemia, with rapid progression and short survival. Blast crisis is diagnosed if any of the following are present in a patient with CML

* >20% myeloblasts or lymphoblasts in the blood or bone marrow

* Large clusters of blasts in the bone marrow on biopsy

* Development of a chloroma (solid focus of leukemia outside the bone marrow)

You die in Blast crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_myelogenous_leukemia

It seems like he is going to play through it?

He won't be able to, I doubt he'll be able to play through his contract. He'll have to retire.

who me? Saku is the best. truly.

Yeah my grandpa died of this back in '96. raving disease.

I did not know you admired sake so much. The Best wishes was for both of you though.