Game Thread | Canadiens vs. Penguins | 10/10/07

Spider-Man NL

I don't think anybody on these boards is planning a cup route.

This team has jumped out to a fast start the last 2 seasons and suffered the December/January swoon

both times. So I think everybody is excited and optimistic, but very guarded.

If you want to enjoy this hockey season don't look ahead. Take it game to game. If you start projecting

out finishes you are just going to put a limit on what your expectations are.

Price played well and showed he belongs in the NHL, Higgins was strong again, Pleks looked alot more

dangerous on the second line, Hamrlik was a rock in the defensive zone, Kovy looks like he cares, they WON the game.

I have seen to many negatives in the last 10 years, I am not dwelling on them anymore.

I am going to enjoy the 2 points until Saturday.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's something I've been noticing too. Kovy looking like he cares. Not sure how long it'll last, but every game it does last is a game we have at least a chance to win in. I still don't htink there's any point in expecting it or depending on it though. I'll just be pleased when it happens.

All in all not a bad game. Habs looked pretty solid. I don't get the other posters saying Gorges was bad, he had 1 turnover and a questionable pinch but there were people back, so i don't quit understand that. Lats was better, Chips was soft on the puck in the first better as the game went on. Hamrlik was great as was Kovalev and Pleks.

Bad news:

Komi and Markov need to pick it up in there own end.

Penalties again. Although i don't know how Gorges got a penalty for roughing while he had the puck?

Penguins taking runs at habs players and know one stepping in about it.

Good:

Work ethic continued throught the game, nice to see.

Transition game a defense was pretty good against a talented team. It's much better then watching the Pilon Briggade that has been here for years.

The top line looked good, Higgins outstanding a matter of time before he starts scoring

I was wrong about the 2nd line, Pleks looked good with Kosty and the Enigma (who also looked good 3 straight games).

Carey Price was excellent. He needs a cool mask

Where all the carbo bashers this morning?

Hard Work will take you far, the habs are working much harder then last year, let's see how long it lasts.

All in all not a bad game. Habs looked pretty solid. I don't get the other posters saying Gorges was bad, he had 1 turnover and a questionable pinch but there were people back, so i don't quit understand that. Lats was better, Chips was soft on the puck in the first better as the game went on. Hamrlik was great as was Kovalev and Pleks.

Bad news:

Komi and Markov need to pick it up in there own end.

Penalties again. Although i don't know how Gorges got a penalty for roughing while he had the puck?

Penguins taking runs at habs players and know one stepping in about it.

Good:

Work ethic continued throught the game, nice to see.

Transition game a defense was pretty good against a talented team. It's much better then watching the Pilon Briggade that has been here for years.

The top line looked good, Higgins outstanding a matter of time before he starts scoring

I was wrong about the 2nd line, Pleks looked good with Kosty and the Enigma (who also looked good 3 straight games).

Carey Price was excellent. He needs a cool mask

Hard Work will take you far, the habs are working much harder then last year, let's see how long it lasts.

Just a couple of things Chris.

Carbo still is not the coach for this team...That will never change(unless he does), the posts about it don't have to be daily do they?

How can you Bit#% about taking penalties and then bit#$ again about not stepping in to defend someone when the roughing penalties are automatic in those situations?

Habitforming, I like GC for one reason, he expects this team to work hard. I haven't seen that in years. It is very refreshing to watch close to a 60 minute game for the Habs. Is he the best coach, probably not.

Hooking and holding penalties are lazy penalties, sticking up for team mates i can live with.

Wow everyone is so optimistic about things. Does no one notice the house of cards we are building once again just like we did last year and the year before?

- No dominant wins

- 1 Goal victories

- Total reliance on good goaltending

- No one sticking up for each other

- Getting a lead and sitting on our ass

The cycle begins anew for the habs.

Wow everyone is so optimistic about things. Does no one notice the house of cards we are building once again just like we did last year and the year before?

- No dominant wins

- 1 Goal victories

- Total reliance on good goaltending

- No one sticking up for each other

- Getting a lead and sitting on our ass

The cycle begins anew for the habs.

I said this above regarding your comment:

I am very happy about the win, but should also say that last year, after the melt down, many here pointed out that even in the early season success, we often won the games by very narrow margins (as we've done so far). It's obviously important to still be winning, but winning in OT or by one goal in regulation is not yet dominating. We are not there yet. That said, I prefer a team with many young blue-chippers early in their careers rounded out by decent vets winning (or at least playing) close games, to a team loaded with not so great vets who have plateaued in terms of ability/competence/achievement/potential winning (or at least playing) a bunch of close games. And that's the difference between this year and last year. This year, the potential is there with at least half our players that they still have a lot of improving to do.

We do need to win some games dominantly... absolutely, but winning close games with half a team of kids and working hard consistently is something that is different from last year...

They are outshooting the opposition, which is refreshing. That didn't happen last year. They had a chance to crumble last night but they didn't. i don't think anyone thinks they are a top flight team, just a better team.

Only time will tell.

OSM, I'll disagree with you about goaltending so far, they haven't had to be amazing this year to get points. Last year they were making 40 plus saves a night.

I don't know if someone has said anything along these lines already, but when Price was making some big saves lat night, I was thinking that a good fan chant would be...

"The Price is Right!"

...I can hear Bob Barker now.

I don't know if someone has said anything along these lines already, but when Price was making some big saves lat night, I was thinking that a good fan chant would be...

"The Price is Right!"

...I can hear Bob Barker now.

Welcome to the board Habsman24!

I think you'll find practically every Montreal Gazette writer has been using this line fairly regularly.

not too many people were bashing carbo, people were just pointing out his mistakes, myself included.

I'm happy he had a good game and i'm glad the habs won. Carbo performed much better in this game then vs. toronto.

he probably read the thread pointing out his mistakes and learned from it :lol:

Welcome to the board Habsman24!

I think you'll find practically every Montreal Gazette writer has been using this line fairly regularly.

Thanks for the info... I don't get a chance to read the Gazette much. Unfortunately I'm near Toronto, so I get bombarded by Leafs news (which can be quite entertaining when the Leafs are in a tailspin.)

They are outshooting the opposition, which is refreshing. That didn't happen last year. They had a chance to crumble last night but they didn't. i don't think anyone thinks they are a top flight team, just a better team.

Only time will tell.

OSM, I'll disagree with you about goaltending so far, they haven't had to be amazing this year to get points. Last year they were making 40 plus saves a night.

I agree, last year in the first 2 months Huet and Abby were standing on their heads nightly and the Habs were storming back late in games to steal points. They had a handful of comeback wins that lead to us calling them the cardiac kids.

This season they have outshot and outchanced the oppostion, the Leafs had a big 3rd period in shots but I don't think it was a good indicator of the game. Montreal definitely outchanced them.

This team is playing better than last season because they are a better team. Will they sustain it?

I will believe it when I see it. This team has burned me to many times in the last 5 years.

I agree, last year in the first 2 months Huet and Abby were standing on their heads nightly and the Habs were storming back late in games to steal points. They had a handful of comeback wins that lead to us calling them the cardiac kids.

This season they have outshot and outchanced the oppostion, the Leafs had a big 3rd period in shots but I don't think it was a good indicator of the game. Montreal definitely outchanced them.

This team is playing better than last season because they are a better team. Will they sustain it?

I will believe it when I see it. This team has burned me to many times in the last 5 years.

We are only Three (3) games into the season and people are already complaining about not having dominating wins, the coach is making a bunch of mistakes in how he is using his people, and on and on. People, people please take a deep breath and give this team some time, it is a long season and this team is Not last year's team.

Great game for all, all the new additions in the lineup worked out well (yes, including Gorges) and Plekanec was just incredible on the second line. Kovalev, Hamrlik, Higgins and Price were also great. Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn will be the ringleaders of the this team's forward group for years. We're still waiting for Gui to add himself to that list.

Thanks for the info... I don't get a chance to read the Gazette much. Unfortunately I'm near Toronto, so I get bombarded by Leafs news (which can be quite entertaining when the Leafs are in a tailspin.)

check out Habsinsideout.com

it's a site run by the Montreal Gazette's Hockey writers, as well as one of their city writers (Mike Boone) and covers all things Habs. Very frequently updated. Between this site, and that one, I'm always caught up.

Great win last nite. Nice to see Price perform well in his debut. More and more impressed by Kostits every time i see him play. He's gonna be a good one. Skilled, strong on the puck and doesn't shy away from contact. The Koivu line looks very good. Higgy will definitely score soon. Pleks playing with some skilled guys fits better. Even though i wanna Grabs more, i thing Pleks fits better on the 2nd line and Smokes on the third. Lats needs to pick it up alots or he will be in the pressbox soon. Liking Hammy more and more. Nothing spectacular, but very solid. Great improvement defensively. Markov strong again. Gorges struggled a little. Boullion still getting beat one-on-one.