Pittsburgh game BLACKED OUT in Mississauga

jackp

Went to put the timer on for tomorrow night's game against the Pens on RDS, and guess what? The game is blacked out on ExpressVu! Called EV and they blamed the NHL. Is the NHL or EV trying to force us onto Center Ice? ( I realize that Center Ice is currently on a free "sneak preview," but this doesn't augur well for the future.)

I don't get RDS on Rogers. Anyone know if it's blacked out there too?

All I know is that this didn't happen last year, and it's really pissing me off!!!

- Jack

Right now, I can watch it on the free preview of Center Ice. But isn't anyone here outraged about this?

I mean, I get it if you don't depend on Central Ontario's ExpressVu's RDS, but first French SRC cans the Habs broadcasts, and now this! I mean, how greedy can the NHL get? I've sent a msg to NHL.COM and I wonder if I'll get any response at all...

- Jack

Wow, the game is Blacked out on RDS? I thought blackouts only happened if the game was available on another local channel. What will be on RDS instead of the game then? Or will it say Blacked out on that channel?

What will be on RDS instead of the game then?

Nothing will replace the game, on starchoice it isn't blacked out!

I feel really sorry for you that have the game blacked out :( Make a protest!! :angry:

Right now, I can watch it on the free preview of Center Ice. But isn't anyone here outraged about this?

I mean, I get it if you don't depend on Central Ontario's ExpressVu's RDS, but first French SRC cans the Habs broadcasts, and now this! I mean, how greedy can the NHL get? I've sent a msg to NHL.COM and I wonder if I'll get any response at all...

- Jack

SRC did not can the Habs broadcasts they lost the bidding to RDS.

Why in the bluest of blazes is the game being blacked out in Mississauga of all places?! :blink::blink::blink:

I live in the Cogeco region and it better damn well be on the tube. If not, Gary Buttman and his board of henchmen are going to get some very ANGRY mail (not email, real mail) from me. I am so sick of Leafs, Leafs, Leafs that I will make a mockery of those people. No reason Leafs should feel threatened from a French speaking station in Ontario.

ooops, I could be wrong after that lovely display by the Leafs against the Canes... B)

Why in the bluest of blazes is the game being blacked out in Mississauga of all places?! :blink::blink::blink:

I'm assuming that EV is blacking out the game in all of southwestern Ontario...

- Jack

ADDENDUM: Just checked again, and now the game ISN'T being blacked out. Is it possible that more people besides me called EV? I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it WAS an EV decision, and not the NHL, as both Starchoice and Rogers were not blacking out the game. EV is offering a free preview of Center Ice, so I guess it's possible that they were doing this so that you'd be forced to look at the free preview. In any case, someone in EV got a sudden dose of common sense, and it now appears the game is on (though I'll be checking my PVR at 7:30 to make sure.)

Edited by jackp

No game on RDS has ever been blacked out in the 3 years I have been watching RDS on expressuv. Now Center Ice is usually blacked out for habs games for me.

My guess is that it was simply a mistake in the programming guide. The programming guide on Expressvu is about as reliable as Kovy on the back check. :)

that is such BS...i cannot believe how the NHL can even do such a ridiculous thing and force Habs fans conform to buying the centre ice package (which is pretty price!). I live in North York...and I've had no problems with blackout restrictions thus far (with Rogers...channel 673). If you are really desperate to watch the game, and live in the GTA, go to Wegz (they have 2 locations in the GTA i believe), have some beers and request that the game be put on...More than likely they will throw it on for you! Also, there is an all Habs pub downtown Toronto, i forget the name of it but if you look it up I'm positive you will find it!

Make the trip to Kingston for the night watch with me. I have a cold beer waiting!

:)

Didn't you used to live in Ottawa?

Hey guys,

Im a habs fan living in toronto. does anybody know if the game will be brodcasted online on rds.ca? They announced in august that they will be brodcasting the games online but when I go to the website I don't see it advertised.

Hey guys,

Im a habs fan living in toronto. does anybody know if the game will be brodcasted online on rds.ca? They announced in august that they will be brodcasting the games online but when I go to the website I don't see it advertised.

they have released a statement saying they put that idea on hold to concentrate on HD.

they have released a statement saying they put that idea on hold to concentrate on HD.

thanks for the info...this sucks, i was hoping to catch the game online tonight. Did the statement mention when they will start broadcasting the games online?

I am also in Mississauga, and was not blacked out. RDS is never blacked out. Are you sure you received the "blackout" message on your set top box? Or was it "signal not authorized"?

Edited by Naslund

I am also in Mississauga, and was not blacked out. RDS is never blacked out. Are you sure you received the "blackout" message on your set top box? Or was it "signal not authorized"?

He later on posted that it WAS NOT BLACKED OUT!

Actually JMMR, he said "and now the game ISN'T being blacked out". "And now" implying that the game was blacked out at one point. RDS is not subject to blackouts, never has been. ExpressVu has never applied a blackout to RDS.