Carey Price Talk

CBHabs_fan

I have been wondering about this since Gainey vetoed Carbo in the preseason, to keep Price on the team. If Carbo didn't really think he should be here, then how will he use him during the season. Will that affect how he is used? (Ie. how frequently, in which situations?)

I started to think about this after it was announced he would start tonight. I mean if he rathered he wasn't here, then why start him tonight? Surely Huet has rested since saturday, and we are only 2 games in. I know he said he looked good in practice, and I'm sure that's true. But has Carbo changed his view about Price being here, or will he let it influence him from now on. Will Gainey have a say about who starts at certain times?

I dont know if we really know the answer, but I'd be interested to hear what you think?

Edited by KoZed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my part, i can say that Carbo is playing EXACTLY what i wish he would. Huet first 2 games, no matter what happens, play Price in the 3rd game before coming to Montreal, and NO MATTER what happen today (shutout or blowout) Huet for the opening game in Montreal saturday.

The perfect plan for the TEAM situation. F that "what message do we send to Huet" thing!

I have been wondering about this since Gainey vetoed Carbo in the preseason, to keep Price on the team. If Carbo didn't really think he should be here, then how will he use him during the season. Will that affect how he is used? (Ie. how frequently, in which situations?)

I started to think about this after it was announced he would start tonight. I mean if he rathered he wasn't here, then why start him tonight? Surely Huet has rested since saturday, and we are only 2 games in. I know he said he looked good in practice, and I'm sure that's true. But has Carbo changed his view about Price being here, or will he let it influence him from now on. Will Gainey have a say about who starts at certain times?

I dont know if we really know the answer, but I'd be interested to hear what you think?

I don't really understand the paranoia about Carbo not wanting Price. The development of the players

is Gainey's call. Was Halak that much better than Price in the pre-season that Carbo would be so upset

that Gainey made him bring up Price? This is all hot air

GMs trump their coach all the time in sports. WTF is the big deal. If Carbo is going to pull a season long

pout to his good friend who apprenticed him into this business than Carbo is an AHOLE.

More nonsensical BS for the media and fans to overanalyze.

Maybe, just maybe Carbonneau spouted what he thought the company line was. Maybe Gainey changed his mind.

Maybe Gainey explained to Carbo his reasons and maybe Guy agreed? End of story.

This is not Mario Tremblay/Patrick Roy here people. If Price can't hack the NHL he will go back down to Hamilton.

Simple as that.

I think this may not be a purely carbo decision to start price tonight. I'm pretty sure it could be about the sidney vs price thing, who's prospect is better. Which in fact may have been a thin that Gainey really wanted to happen. I like that Huet's getting the start on saturday though I thought he's played really well save for the last period and ot against toronto

I don't really understand the paranoia about Carbo not wanting Price. The development of the players

is Gainey's call. Was Halak that much better than Price in the pre-season that Carbo would be so upset

that Gainey made him bring up Price? This is all hot air

GMs trump their coach all the time in sports. WTF is the big deal. If Carbo is going to pull a season long

pout to his good friend who apprenticed him into this business than Carbo is an AHOLE.

More nonsensical BS for the media and fans to overanalyze.

Maybe, just maybe Carbonneau spouted what he thought the company line was. Maybe Gainey changed his mind.

Maybe Gainey explained to Carbo his reasons and maybe Guy agreed? End of story.

This is not Mario Tremblay/Patrick Roy here people. If Price can't hack the NHL he will go back down to Hamilton.

Simple as that.

I assume when you talk about paranoia and hot air, you are referring to the montreal media, etc. I really am not disturbed by Carbo not wanting Price there, just wondering if the same reason he felt this way will influence his decision making.

I dont think it was about who was better in pre-season for Carbo. It was about how ready Price was to be exposed to the vultures in Montreal, and how much playing time he would see.

I assume when you talk about paranoia and hot air, you are referring to the montreal media, etc. I really am not disturbed by Carbo not wanting Price there, just wondering if the same reason he felt this way will influence his decision making.

I dont think it was about who was better in pre-season for Carbo. It was about how ready Price was to be exposed to the vultures in Montreal, and how much playing time he would see.

But since when is it Carbo's choice? The GM has the ultimate say, end of story.

If Carbonneau wants to fight with Gainey over the backup goalie than he is a damn fool.

Play the kid and Shut the EFF up.

But I don't believe Guy thinks it is as big a deal as it is being made to be.

They have taken a quote that Guy made in August and are still running with it in October.

The media and fans have an insatiable hunger for anything Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

I can really see how bringing up a Superstar prospect could create friction in the organization.

Unreal

But since when is it Carbo's choice? The GM has the ultimate say, end of story.

If Carbonneau wants to fight with Gainey over the backup goalie than he is a damn fool.

Play the kid and Shut the EFF up.

But I don't believe Guy thinks it is as big a deal as it is being made to be.

They have taken a quote that Guy made in August and are still running with it in October.

The media and fans have an insatiable hunger for anything Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

I can really see how bringing up a Superstar prospect could create friction in the organization.

Unreal

It wasnt Carbo's choice whether or not to keep him, obviously. Day to day lineups would be his choice however. The question I'm asking is, does this change with regards to Price, given the GM and coaches original conflict. Not sure anyone has really answered that yet..

It wasnt Carbo's choice whether or not to keep him, obviously. Day to day lineups would be his choice however. The question I'm asking is, does this change with regards to Price, given the GM and coaches original conflict. Not sure anyone has really answered that yet..

I would imagine that the GM has the ultimate say on everything. I would also hope that Carbonneau

was Gainey's choice because they are on the same page and that Carbo would defer to his friend

with close to 20 years experience if they disagreed.

Call me crazy

Edited by Wamsley01

I am sure Carbo and Gainey talk and meet all the time bouncing ideas and such of eachother.

As for who starts and who does not that call must be Carbo's/

I would assume that as well. But the media and fans are treating this like they are feuding about who to start.

It is so blown out of proportion.

Is it just me, or has the discourse around the Habs gone completely over the deep end this season? Fire Carbo after one OT loss...Huet is a mediocre goalie because he struggled last January...Carbo wants to ruin Price...Koivu thinks his team sucks...micro-analyzing 'mistakes' by player or coach X and Y then endlessly crucifying them for it...etc., etc., etc.. It was always bad, but things seem suddenly more extreme these days. I guess the combination of a bloated media (forever needing to find something, anything to talk about) with proliferating Internet sites has finally tipped us over the edge from passionate engagement to counter-productive and for some reason relentlessly negative obsession. Oh, well.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Is it just me, or has the discourse around the Habs gone completely over the deep end this season? Fire Carbo after one OT loss...Huet is a mediocre goalie because he struggled last January...Carbo wants to ruin Price...Koivu thinks his team sucks...micro-analyzing 'mistakes' by player or coach X and Y then endlessly crucifying them for it...etc., etc., etc.. It was always bad, but things seem suddenly more extreme these days. I guess the combination of a bloated media (forever needing to find something, anything to talk about) with proliferating Internet sites has finally tipped us over the edge from passionate engagement to counter-productive and for some reason relentlessly negative obsession. Oh, well.

I know it is scary. We have entered a realm where anybody can sign up for a blog, spout their opinion and have it taken seriously. You know damn well that the local writers and sportscasters are browsing looking for stories to pick up.

Next thing you know somebody has started a rumour and those idiots on Sportsnet are reporting it. Followed by it must be true because Sportsnet said it. Sad really.

I think it is as JoeLassiter says. No matter how good the guys are (with a couple of exceptions in extreme situations) they are going to follow this rotation of playing every Price every 3 games or so. I don't think the "feud" will have much impact on anything - I'm sure Carbo is happy to have Price on board. He personally wouldn't have kept Price because he thought it would be better for Price to play every night then sit on the bench most nights - but - while he's on the team, Carbo is going to give him as much playing time as he needs. Carbo's preseason comments only show us that Guy is concerned that Price may stay stagnant (or, to use Gainey's word, dormant) this season due to lack of playing time. So I think the "feud" just tells us that Carbo is ready and willing to play Price as often as possible.

I was thinking Carbo was going with the same routine as least year, when Huet and Aebischer each played back-to-back games and then sat for back-to-back games, until someone took the number one role for themselves. Whether it was Price or Halak, it may not have mattered, but of course we have no way of knowing that for certain. But I think it's much better that Price gets his first NHL start on the road.

I think it is as JoeLassiter says. No matter how good the guys are (with a couple of exceptions in extreme situations) they are going to follow this rotation of playing every Price every 3 games or so. I don't think the "feud" will have much impact on anything - I'm sure Carbo is happy to have Price on board. He personally wouldn't have kept Price because he thought it would be better for Price to play every night then sit on the bench most nights - but - while he's on the team, Carbo is going to give him as much playing time as he needs. Carbo's preseason comments only show us that Guy is concerned that Price may stay stagnant (or, to use Gainey's word, dormant) this season due to lack of playing time. So I think the "feud" just tells us that Carbo is ready and willing to play Price as often as possible.

Exactly. Huet 50 starts and Price 32 : a REALLY good way to 1. win some games 2. keep both of them happy 3. give Price experience.

IF, and just IF, Huet collapse, Price might get 40-45 starts, I hope not...

Does anyone think that the coach/GM Price agruement was created to take some of the press off of Price and put directly on the staff? Try to protect the young guy for as long as possible?

Bob is shifty like that or maybe I watch too many movies.

Carbo admitted that his perspective came from two sides regarding Price. One was from a Gm perspective and what would be best for the goalies development, and then after Gainey's comments he turned it to a coaches perspective and just wanting to do what ever it takes to win games. Or vice versa. Whatever it was Carbo will do what he can witht the team he has to win games. It's nonsense to suggest he would sabotage Price's development, his relationship with Gainey or his coaching career because of a little public disagreement with Gainey. Bottom line is Carey Price at this point. If last nights display of goaltending is only the begining of what's to come WE ALL WIN!!!!!. Carbo, Gainey, the fans, Carey, and the Montreal Canadians. Let's drop it and watch some good hockey.

P.S I love the fact that the Pens announcers were blown away by Carey last night. Complimenting his every move. That is so rare from out of town biased play by play analyst's. We are in for a hell of a season.

Go Price! I don't think him getting maybe 25-30 NHL starts is a problem, on the contrary, he practices and travels with the team, gets to know his way round the big league, will see some action is Huet gets pulled -- it's not like he had anything more to learn in the AHL anyway. Who's his roomie anyone know? Or do Habs players all get their own rooms now?

Yea, i know what you mean, Colorado, Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Atlanta are really bad homers. The rest of the announcers seem pretty fare.

Carolina's and Tampa are the worst I have heard on the Center Ice Package.

Montreal beat Tampa in a game they were outshot 37-25 or something and the Tampa announcer screamed

"THERE IS NO JUSTICE" as the puck slid into the empty net.

Joe Bowen on the Leafs broadcasts is unbearable as well.