Kovalev stirring the pot again

Oh you were being serious? I thought you were playing around since you had no facts and had that grassy knoll comment. Then you compared him to Scotty Bowman which almost made me fall out of my chair.

Alright...

Face it he messed up Perezhogin = Cmon do I need to explain this one? Put on the friggin checking line and then punished when he takes a hooking penalty.

Almost ruined Kostitsyn = If it wasn't for last years flu he wouldnt have been called up for that last quarter, he got sent down for no reason. Now he is still being improperly used with tiny amounts of ice time and no shots in the shootout.

Breaks up good lines = I still havn't seen the Higgins/Plekanec/Kosty line since last year when it was lethal and single handedly almost got us into the playoffs. And why the hell isn't Koivu playing with Kovalev?

Alienates non french players = From Kovalev to Perezhogin to Samsonov to Kosty he really seems to dislike them.

Plays favorites = Latendresse on the 1st line, no more is needed to be said.

Doesnt learn from mistakes = Stop with this defensive shit gameplay! Seriously it's getting old.

Never admits his own faults = Last night was not the first time he's tossed a player in front a bus before he got a little mud on his pant leg. Samsonov was one player last year, Perezhogin another.

Scapegoats players = Already explained.

Forces gifted players into roles they arent suited for = Perezhogin on checking line, Dandenault playing forward when we have players like Chipchura and Lapierre deserving ice time.

I hope it wasn't too hard on you to copy pm koivu or did you work on it together? Anyway you only have to read one post, by the way are you trying to cut down on the number of my posts by both posting the same thing? btw you both need to read previous posts to know you are in the minority and wrong. :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"In the last two minutes, we knew they were going to put a lot of pressure on us," Kovalev told the TEAM 990 in Montreal. "It was just my idea that we could have taken a timeout, get organized and get the right people on the ice. Maybe it could have been better. That's what I saw from the bench."

All I'm saying, is why did the media choose to spin this into something it never was?

He said maybe it could have been better, not "I hate the way Carbo coaches." It was harmless. TSN can seriously stick it, if their great panelists can do nothing but stir up crap. Kovalev is a leader on this team and has a right to speak his mind.

They need to stop jumping on every little thing he says as a negative. Truthfully, I hope he stops talking to the media after this, or save making even the simplest criticisms. He's just frustrated, Carbo has been changing his linemates so much, maybe that is why.

I totally agree. Why is this seen as an attack on Carbo exactly??

From what I can tell there seems to be a lack of general communication in the dressing room. According to a piece by the Gazette, Begin didn't find out that he wasn't playing until he walked in to the dressing room before the game. He should have been told before hand, IMO. Anyway, in order for communication to exist, Carbo has to take the lead. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't complain when someone takes an alternative route to express his opinion to him.

Lack of communication is unpardonable because it is so easy to fix .... and not to fix it is cowardly, or prideful.

Personally I'm confused why Kovalevs comments are even an issue.

"In the last two minutes, we knew they were going to put a lot of pressure on us," Kovalev told the TEAM 990 in Montreal.

That is undeniably true.

"It was just my idea that we could have taken a timeout, get organized and get the right people on the ice. Maybe it could have been better. That's what I saw from the bench."

I almost think its a lost in translation thing or something. If Kovy had have said "should", then yes, it might be interpreted as an issue, but only saying "could" is a harmless non issue. However, like stated, it is Montreal and the media/fans are hardcore and can easily be agitated and over react. Habs players "could" have some PR training to avoid this kind of bunk from now on. Kovalev is a veteran, and really he "should" know better especially by now from what occurred last year.

Regarding Carbo: Its wierd for me, because he was a great former player that I liked a lot, + really like seeing ex Habs in management, especially when they are French. Carbo is basically a perfect fit. Theres only a slight problem though. So far he doesnt seem to be any good at it at all. It sux0rs because I think the Habs raced him into the position to fast, and wrecked him. Kinda like the fears people have aboot rushing Price to fast. Once your the "man", when you mess up etc and they eventually get rid of you, your gone for good. They dont bring ya back after you have more experience. Your time has come, then its gone. Its really unfortunate that Carbo didnt have more coaching experience before he was made the Habs coach. :(

I'm not sure how long Carbo will be around, and the longer it is it probably wont be the best thing for the Habs. He's a former player, teammate, good friend, etc so I'm sure Bob doesnt want to fire him and will undoubtedly give him the benefit of doubt for a lot longer than he would somebody else.

Late in the season last year I was almost expecting for Bob to pull a Lamerillo, but even before Lamerillo did it. Not necessarily fire Carbo, but once he's the coach, its kinda hard to demote him and make him assistant coach again, but Carbo hadnt been coach that long so maybe it might have worked. Either way, I'm fairly certain the Habs would have made the playoffs last year if Bob had been cracking the whip.

Ya it was a great 60 minute effort, it was also against Florida. Let's do it against the Sens!!!!!!!!!!!! If all you guys keep pushing these threads Bettman just might start showing Habs games exclusively on the S.O.A.P channel right after "The Young and the Restless"

I hope it wasn't too hard on you to copy pm koivu or did you work on it together? Anyway you only have to read one post, by the way are you trying to cut down on the number of my posts by both posting the same thing? btw you both need to read previous posts to know you are in the minority and wrong. :lol:

Again it is just my perception of Carbo. It is not fact and just because that is the way I feel about Carbo doesn't mean I'm right!

Kovalev's comments are taken way out of proportion here. His words are not what the big deal is. The problem is what seems to be an undercurrent of a BIG problem.

I keep thinking about this line:

Latendresse - Plekanec - Kostopolous

Plekanec's talents are being wasted. It is the job of a coach or boss to set up their team for success not failure. This line combo is not even close to setting up Plekanec for success. It pisses me off.

Again it is just my perception of Carbo. It is not fact and just because that is the way I feel about Carbo doesn't mean I'm right!

Kovalev's comments are taken way out of proportion here. His words are not what the big deal is. The problem is what seems to be an undercurrent of a BIG problem.

I keep thinking about this line:

Latendresse - Plekanec - Kostopolous

Plekanec's talents are being wasted. It is the job of a coach or boss to set up their team for success not failure. This line combo is not even close to setting up Plekanec for success. It pisses me off.

I would definitely agree with you that this line looks to be a terrible blend of talents. Pleks has shown he can play with highly skilled players at a fast pace. In due time and when he is playing much better, maybe Lats can mesh with Pleks. Then to add a 4th line plumber like Kostopolous on the line is absolutely awful. He can't keep up and does not have the skill to be more than a 3rd liner. What a waste of Pleks' talent. Wouldn't Perezhogin look so much better lining up here?

I would definitely agree with you that this line looks to be a terrible blend of talents. Pleks has shown he can play with highly skilled players at a fast pace. In due time and when he is playing much better, maybe Lats can mesh with Pleks. Then to add a 4th line plumber like Kostopolous on the line is absolutely awful. He can't keep up and does not have the skill to be more than a 3rd liner. What a waste of Pleks' talent. Wouldn't Perezhogin look so much better lining up here?

And you can't call this a checking line with Lats there. What the hell is Carbo thinkin!!!

Regarding Carbo: Its wierd for me, because he was a great former player that I liked a lot, + really like seeing ex Habs in management, especially when they are French. Carbo is basically a perfect fit. Theres only a slight problem though. So far he doesnt seem to be any good at it at all. It sux0rs because I think the Habs raced him into the position to fast, and wrecked him. Kinda like the fears people have aboot rushing Price to fast. Once your the "man", when you mess up etc and they eventually get rid of you, your gone for good. They dont bring ya back after you have more experience. Your time has come, then its gone. Its really unfortunate that Carbo didnt have more coaching experience before he was made the Habs coach. :(

My gut feeling for what it's worth is that Gainey is already starting to 'pull the strings' a bit (Price playing with the big team), and will do so more as need be. Bob has class, he won't embarrass Carbo publically, rather I think he will help Carbo with some cool-headed interventions. Maybe Carbo has ego issues coming from, I dunno I'm not a psychiatrist, but perhaps his lack of coaching experience plus wanting to save face with the hounding Montreal media. But end of the day Carbo knows who is boss, and Bob can use that to help the team. I wouldn't be surprised if these two are talking these days, and Carbo is doing most of the listening. Anyway, a coupla wins this week and there's no more issue. Instead Kovalev will be talking about how good Grabs is :hlogo:

We all know who and how Carbo his, he played here, captained us and never changed.

To say if he is a good coach or not is the question.

If the team was ranked so low by experts it was not only because of the sum of their players

talent but with the way they play together. So Carbo has much more to proove than any of the players,

turn this boat around and win or sink it. Sadly.

In my opinion Don Lever would be the greatest coach we could have but we he get a chance someday??

Well I'll defend Carbo a bit. He is right, a dumb penalty cost them the game. I don't know if anyone has noticed, the more he calls people out or gets mad with a loss the closer they play to a 60 minute game. When was the last time the Habs played such a great hard working game. It's been years.

He trusts certain people on the ice in certain situations, just because the fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad decision.

Whne was the last time the habs outshot 4 out of 6 opponants? Years i'm guessing.

Carbo brings what i said the team needs, hard work and dicipline. That's what he is delivering.

Young teams lose close games, they learn from them and they get better. Sure the scoring stinks right now but the D zone looks very good, so does the effort, shots on goal and transition game.

I actually like this team, they are way better then the years past. If you guys want them getting outshot every night 40 to 20, and hope they win 1 nothing it's not going to happen. Perhaps you all enjoyed them playing in there own end all night, I don't.

So they lost a tough game, get over it, they are playing way better then in the past.

By the way, Kovalev should kep his yap shut, he had a chance to put one away and didn't.

Chris, I dont know what we'd do without you. Thank God for your reason.

Seems that everyone loves to bash on Carbo. Doesn't matter why, anything goes. Sad, sad, sad "fans" you are. Actually, many of you are acting more like groupies than fans. Can't bring yourself to blame the players - unless its a local guy (Theo, Ribeiro, Breezer and now Lats) - it's always the big bad boss' fault.

Give your head a friggin' shake. Komisarek admitted it himself: he had no business taking that penalty and cost the Habs the game.

And Kovy? Carbo explained himself: he had no play stoppage to call for a timeout during Komi's penalty. It happens.

For too long there's been a culture of irresponsibility on this team. For too long the players had the upper hand on this team and were careless about their work ethic. Finally a coaches-GM duo is breaking all those bad habits. Fans with a minimum of forward perspective see, recognize and appreciate it.

Sadly the rest of the "fans" have caught the same irresponsibility disease. Can't blame the players. Then again, seeing how its always the local guys that get the shaft maybe there's something uglier behind all that negativity. I guess the French medias are not the only biased troublemakers following the team.

:puke:

Edited by KoZed

I dunno I'm not a psychiatrist, but perhaps his lack of coaching experience plus wanting to save face with the hounding Montreal media.

Carbo doesn't have to "save face" to the medias. That's the best thing about him. He can stand up to the medias (he's done it as a player and has the character to do it again) but he can admit to his own faults as he did during the off-season.

But hey, this is hockey... Trying to find the problems in the roster is too complicated for the simple minds. Much more easier to dump all the frustration on the coach. Much more easier. Burns, Vigneault, Therrien and Julien all went through the same thing.

Carbo is trying to instill the same work ethic and team spirit Ruff did in Buffalo or Lemaire did in NJ. That takes time, players have to be broken into the mold, egos collides but the coach has to have the last word, it's the only way to build a winning team.

I'll gladly stick with Carbo all along that way. It's time to side with the coach and stop defending players. If you can't do it, you're part of the problem.

Edited by KoZed

I agree. I was very frustrated after the game as all the whiners came out of the woodwork and started bashing the team. They played a great game on another night, on another goalie, they blow them out of the building.

Blaming carbo for that loss is nonsense. Blaming Breezer is nonsense. Blaming Kovy is nonsense.

Komi is the goat, he knows it. He made a mistake. He has been taking a lot of dumb penalties this season and hopefully, this one sticks in his mind and teaches him discipline. Lets call it a learning opportunity.

As for Kovy's comments, he wasn't blaming Carbo. He was just answering and saying, "yeah, maybe a timeout would have helped". He didn't say "damn Carbo, we told him to take a time out and he didn't". Kovy could have said lots of things like "I guess if we had buried one, I guess if we had hit the empty net on a clear, or I guess if we didn't take the dumb penalty"..sheesh.. people over rotate so much on this stuff...

Chris, I dont know what we'd do without you. Thank God for your reason.

Seems that everyone loves to bash on Carbo. Doesn't matter why, anything goes. Sad, sad, sad "fans" you are. Actually, many of you are acting more like groupies than fans. Can't bring yourself to blame the players - unless its a local guy (Theo, Ribeiro, Breezer and now Lats) - it's always the big bad boss' fault.

Give your head a friggin' shake. Komisarek admitted it himself: he had no business taking that penalty and cost the Habs the game.

And Kovy? Carbo explained himself: he had no play stoppage to call for a timeout during Komi's penalty. It happens.

For too long there's been a culture of irresponsibility on this team. For too long the players had the upper hand on this team and were careless about their work ethic. Finally a coaches-GM duo is breaking all those bad habits. Fans with a minimum of forward perspective see, recognize and appreciate it.

Sadly the rest of the "fans" have caught the same irresponsibility disease. Can't blame the players. Then again, seeing how its always the local guys that get the shaft maybe there's something uglier behind all that negativity. I guess the French medias are not the only biased troublemakers following the team.

:puke:

That's the problem here.

The players are willing to take responsibility for their actions but Carbo won't.

There are more then just one player on the Habs that thinks Carbo is lost. I hope gainey realizes it before it gets too far into the season.

Pat Burns is a great fit for this team and is well respected right from the get go.

I agree. I was very frustrated after the game as all the whiners came out of the woodwork and started bashing the team. They played a great game on another night, on another goalie, they blow them out of the building.

Blaming carbo for that loss is nonsense. Blaming Breezer is nonsense. Blaming Kovy is nonsense.

Komi is the goat, he knows it. He made a mistake. He has been taking a lot of dumb penalties this season and hopefully, this one sticks in his mind and teaches him discipline. Lets call it a learning opportunity.

As for Kovy's comments, he wasn't blaming Carbo. He was just answering and saying, "yeah, maybe a timeout would have helped". He didn't say "damn Carbo, we told him to take a time out and he didn't". Kovy could have said lots of things like "I guess if we had buried one, I guess if we had hit the empty net on a clear, or I guess if we didn't take the dumb penalty"..sheesh.. people over rotate so much on this stuff...

This has nothing to do with "one game", we have been pointing things out for two years now!

Not all things Habs is holy you know.

So what if Carbo did call that time out ... and Florida still scored ... the media and Carbo critics alike would be saying he shouldn't have called the time out as it gave Florida's best players extra rest.

Dammed if you do , Dammed if you don't.

So what if Carbo did call that time out ... and Florida still scored ... the media and Carbo critics alike would be saying he shouldn't have called the time out as it gave Florida's best players extra rest.

Dammed if you do , Dammed if you don't.

That's the same as Carbo now saying "I wanted to wait for the 20-30 second mark to call a time out"

It's easy to make stuff up after the fact to save face.....even if it is complete BS

This has nothing to do with "one game", we have been pointing things out for two years now!

Not all things Habs is holy you know.

I have not been a big fan of Carbo (last year, its a new year and a new start), nor have I been happy with the inability of the team to attract a top line center.

Regardless, this topic is about the last game and the people I referred to were bitching about the last game. In the game thread. In my opinion, they should all give their heads a shake and crawl back under their rocks. That was not a game that we should be complaining about. (Carolina game, yes, poor effort).

Carbo doesn't have to "save face" to the medias. That's the best thing about him. He can stand up to the medias (he's done it as a player and has the character to do it again) but he can admit to his own faults as he did during the off-season.

But hey, this is hockey... Trying to find the problems in the roster is too complicated for the simple minds. Much more easier to dump all the frustration on the coach. Much more easier. Burns, Vigneault, Therrien and Julien all went through the same thing.

Carbo is trying to instill the same work ethic and team spirit Ruff did in Buffalo or Lemaire did in NJ. That takes time, players have to be broken into the mold, egos collides but the coach has to have the last word, it's the only way to build a winning team.

I'll gladly stick with Carbo all along that way. It's time to side with the coach and stop defending players. If you can't do it, you're part of the problem.

I'm with Carbo and Bob and the team all the way, doesn't mean we can't be critical, it goes with the turf. No question Montreal media and fans present a unique challenge to the entire Habs organization -- here's a major city with no NFL, no MLB, no NBA, only The Habs -- if we can't accept that we might as well cheer for Phoenix because if the Coyotes have problems we can flock to go the Diamondbacks, Cardinals or the Suns, whoever is playing well. Tough to be with the Habs I guess but if they get into contention (someday soon I hope) then it will be wonderful. Carbo is still relatively new to coaching and he has not yet built a team, and I doubt he can do so by doing what Ruff did, entirely different situation. Good luck to him, could be coming along we'll see but like I said I figure Bob will be more active in the team this season and I'm glad for that.

It's even easier to bash the coach after the fact... even if its complete BS.

I was bashing him long before the puck dropped with 2:14 left to go, it is not an after thought.

It shouldn't be that easy to see his mistakes at this level.

That's the same as Carbo now saying "I wanted to wait for the 20-30 second mark to call a time out"

It's easy to make stuff up after the fact to save face.....even if it is complete BS

But what if it was true