Atlanta perfect trade partner

peihabs

:hlogo: If Bob wants Price in the big show for good he's got to give him the #1 job and bring up Halak for back up. With Lethenon out for Atlanta this is the perfect time to move Huet who has really helped out his value with the way he's been playing. But I say if we can add more offense then lets go with Price and Halak. Trade Huet, Ryder, Kostopolous, & Grabovski (as Atlanta also needs a European centre with speed to play with Kovalchuk) ask for Hossa & P. Dupuis & 2 minor leaguers G. Desbiens & B. Valabik or even one of the 2 minor leaguers. We give up roughly 7.6 mill in salary and take on 6.8. Dupuis would be a good fit for our third line with Smolinski & Latendresse he brings more speed & offense to the table then Kostopolous and still plays with lots of grit. Then that leaves Koivu, Hossa, Kovalev, Plecanek, Higgins & Kostitsyn for our top 2 lines. Also there had been a rumour ogf Kovalev to Calgary for Tanguay I'd make that move in a heart beat. Then our top line would be Koivu, Tanguay & Hossa with a second line of Plecanek, Higgins & Kostitsyn as they were great together at the end of last year and I can't understand why Carbo hasn't put them back together. There is one more piece I would try and get and that is a fouth line tough guy to play when needed. Zack Stortini who policed the baby Habs to the Calder Cup last year would be good. Maybe trade Milroy or Locke for him.

Then we look like this:

Goal: Price, Halak

Defense: Markov Komy, Hamarlik-Briseboise, Bouillon-Striet, depth Gorges & Dandenault

Forward: Tangauay- Koivu-Hossa, Higgins - Plecanek - Kostitsyn, Smolinski - Latendresse - Dupuis, Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault and maybe rotate Gorges in on the fourth line and also Stortini when needed. I guess you also figured out Chipchura is gone back to Hamilton to play everyday as I think Lapierre got the message and has played awesome since being sent down. This also leaves Murray in the picture when he gets back and he would be a fourth line file in also. Go with Murray, Begin & Stortini for the fourth line for extra toughness when needed.

Who wouldn't make a deal where the main players are a superstar forward going one way and an unproven goalie going the other? Oh, Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore? Then I guess nobody. Seriously, the Habs are much more likely to get value out of Halak because he is young. Huet has never made it though an entire NHL season and has completely fallen apart at times. Who would trade a lot of value for someone who hasn't proven he can be a true #1 goalie in this league? At least with Halak the guy is young and has room to grow and doesn't have the injury bug.

If Huet plays well up to the deadline he will be considered a legit number 1 goalie in this league.

Honestly, I think LA is the best trading partner the Habs could ask for. They have good young forwards, incredible depth on D and need a goalie.

Wow man your really throwing a hail mary. For one thing Huet's contreact is up at the endd of the year, so Atlanta might not want him. plus thy'er doing shitty so they might just want a higher draft pick, I'd saygive Huet to a powerhouse team who is looking to make a stanley cup push.

Honestly, did this work on a video game?

Who wouldn't make a deal where the main players are a superstar forward going one way and an unproven goalie going the other? Oh, Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore? Then I guess nobody. Seriously, the Habs are much more likely to get value out of Halak because he is young. Huet has never made it though an entire NHL season and has completely fallen apart at times. Who would trade a lot of value for someone who hasn't proven he can be a true #1 goalie in this league? At least with Halak the guy is young and has room to grow and doesn't have the injury bug.

Leafs paid up for Toskala who has never proven himself as a #1. Oilers paid for Roloson who had never proven himself as a true #1.

But still, it's a trade that leaves both teams with problems. I highly doubt Gainey trades Huet.

Leafs paid up for Toskala who has never proven himself as a #1. Oilers paid for Roloson who had never proven himself as a true #1.

True, but look how badly that's working out for Toronto thus far. And with Roloson, he was having an excellent season and continued to do so. He did the job expected of him and got them to the finals. In both cases, draft picks were involved, and we all now how much of a crap shoot the draft is. It wasn't like good, proven NHLers were being traded for these goalies.

If Huet plays well up to the deadline he will be considered a legit number 1 goalie in this league.

Honestly, I think LA is the best trading partner the Habs could ask for. They have good young forwards, incredible depth on D and need a goalie.

All the Habs will get for Huet is draft picks ... I don't think the Kings would want to send any good young players ( especially for roster players ) for an impending UFA.

Who wouldn't make a deal where the main players are a superstar forward going one way and an unproven goalie going the other?

Dude, Huet was picked for the all-star game last year, he's proven his skills. He's also 30 which means he's not a flash in the pan rookie who will succumb to nerves (Carey Price, Andrew Raycroft, etc.).

If a team is looking for a long term goaltending solution, I guess a new contract would have to be agreed upon too, but thats not an impossible hurdle, but I hope Gainey has started shopping him now so there's the time available for this kind of potentially multiple team contract negotions.

Gainey will not trade Huet as he wants a solid proven NHL goalie on his roster, niether of which Price or Halak is. If Montreal is out of a playoff spot later in the year, he may deal him, but for now, Huet is going nowhere

Tanguay does not want to come to Montreal. As well Sutter is not an idiot and would not trade for a headcase liek Kovalev

Two rookies as number and number two?

I just don't think that will happen. There's always something the older can teach the younger even if the younger has more skills. Therefore Huet will not be traded.

Carey Price och Jaro Halak? Price, off course. But then again, what have Halak done to get a high market value that Yann Danis hasn't?

Nope, The Canadiens doesn't have anything that we could ship to another team in return for a Hossa or a Tanguay. But a good prospect for another isn't bad either or in a bundle along with someone else.

:hlogo: If Bob wants Price in the big show for good he's got to give him the #1 job and bring up Halak for back up. With Lethenon out for Atlanta this is the perfect time to move Huet who has really helped out his value with the way he's been playing. But I say if we can add more offense then lets go with Price and Halak. Trade Huet, Ryder, Kostopolous, & Grabovski (as Atlanta also needs a European centre with speed to play with Kovalchuk) ask for Hossa & P. Dupuis & 2 minor leaguers G. Desbiens & B. Valabik or even one of the 2 minor leaguers. We give up roughly 7.6 mill in salary and take on 6.8. Dupuis would be a good fit for our third line with Smolinski & Latendresse he brings more speed & offense to the table then Kostopolous and still plays with lots of grit. Then that leaves Koivu, Hossa, Kovalev, Plecanek, Higgins & Kostitsyn for our top 2 lines. Also there had been a rumour ogf Kovalev to Calgary for Tanguay I'd make that move in a heart beat. Then our top line would be Koivu, Tanguay & Hossa with a second line of Plecanek, Higgins & Kostitsyn as they were great together at the end of last year and I can't understand why Carbo hasn't put them back together. There is one more piece I would try and get and that is a fouth line tough guy to play when needed. Zack Stortini who policed the baby Habs to the Calder Cup last year would be good. Maybe trade Milroy or Locke for him.

Then we look like this:

Defense: Markov Komy, Hamarlik-Briseboise, Bouillon-Striet, depth Gorges & Dandenault

Forward: Tangauay- Koivu-Hossa, Higgins - Plecanek - Kostitsyn, Smolinski - Latendresse - Dupuis, Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault and maybe rotate Gorges in on the fourth line and also Stortini when needed. I guess you also figured out Chipchura is gone back to Hamilton to play everyday as I think Lapierre got the message and has played awesome since being sent down. This also leaves Murray in the picture when he gets back and he would be a fourth line file in also. Go with Murray, Begin & Stortini for the fourth line for extra toughness when needed.

Give me a break. Chipchura down to Hamilton....???? You watched the game last night? No way! Maybe Grabs going down and Lapierre coming up.

As for trades, too early to pull the plug on anyone. BG will wait. I like the Stortini option though.

Half a season.

And 1/2 of a season before that. He was the guy who took over after the Theodore meltdown, remember?

I think that Huet has proven himself to be a #1 goalie. He has proven himself to be a bit injury prone however.

I think that Huet and possibly Ryder are the only significantly tradeable players on this team, with the exception of Higgins/Markov. And as much as I hate the Idea of going with two rookies in nets, trading one or both of them might be the only way that we improve offensively this season.

However...

When I say I hate the idea of having two Rookies is nets, I am reminded of Theodore and Hackett. Jeff Hacket was by no means a great goaltender in his time with us but I seem to remember the tandem of Theo and Hackett working very well together. Theo, in my opinion, was never the same after Hackett left. He always seemed to be distracted by something other than Hockey (I always thought of Hackett as a mentor for Theo in his time here, just as I think that Huet has taken on a mentorship towards Price).

Keep in mind I also think that Price has a better head on his shoulders than Theodore ever had and he'll probably be able to figure out how to be a successful goaltender without the example of Huet professionalism. But I think that we have a good thing going here, it would be a shame to put him into the fire before he is ready. Its one thing to keep him here its another to start him for almost every game and make him the "go to guy".

Lets face it Huet just Cannot play 82 games, and Price needs to play a significant amount of games, 25-30, to make the decision to keep him up here a good one. Sounds like a good match to me, I think that we should sign Huet for one more year if he will go for it.

As for Ryder we need an upgrade....a real Threat on the wing...and if it takes Huet to get it? Well, lets just say that I'd want to get paid like a Gm to make those decisions. Balancing the Development of a Franchise Goaltender and the Offence we so desparately need, is not an easy decision.

sorry about the length of this post

This is just my opinion....something I noticed

Edited by Davehab

We aren't gonna win a cup unless we take chances. The habs desperately need another A-list offence man to get anywhere, the habs have great goaltending depth, theyve gotta trade Huet to get a forward and lean on their rookies goalies to step up. You gotta roll the dice a little to get the big prize.

Two rookies as number and number two?

I just don't think that will happen. There's always something the older can teach the younger even if the younger has more skills. Therefore Huet will not be traded.

Carey Price och Jaro Halak? Price, off course. But then again, what have Halak done to get a high market value that Yann Danis hasn't?

Nope, The Canadiens doesn't have anything that we could ship to another team in return for a Hossa or a Tanguay. But a good prospect for another isn't bad either or in a bundle along with someone else.

They do not have anybody that Atlanta would want right now. But every day closer to his UFA status his value diminishes.

Prospects and picks could get the job done in February.

Huet to Atlanta is a long shot. Lehtonen is 24 and one of the best goaltending prospects in the game.

Yee Haa!! after 8 years we've finally got a "perfect" trade partner. :lol:

No really, a perfect trade partner simply doesnt exist. No clue why any Habs fan would believe in such fairy tales after the last 10-15 yrs. The Habs dont really have a good history in "trades". Using the words perfect and trade is definitely an oxymoron in Montreal.

Price will be great and all, but did we actually need him?

Then we look like this:

Absolutely ridiculous move. What is an absolute necessity in todays NHL is to have a solid #1 starter and we have that in Huet. He's proving it big time almost every night. Goalies like that aren't that easy to find. Just ask Toronto. While Price is hopefully our goalie of the future, he needs time to develop and time to prove that he can be a #1. Gainey would never trade his only proven #1 goalie and leave himself vulneralbe like that. If he was able to make a trade for Hossa, and who wouldn't, Halak with another forward like Ryder and maybe a top prospect, but never your only proven #1 goalie.