Game Thread | Bruins de Boston vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 10/22/07

Spider-Man NL

Yeah, but if you had ever seen me play hockey, you would know that I have no business commenting on back checking. :)

I was back in the slot the other day clearing the puck out and the goalie (who I have known for years) says to me "oh, didn't recognize you, never seen you up close like this before'. B)

If I was a fan of your team I would hate you. :)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame breezer is named breezer. I think too many people are biased against him based on the past.

The fact is (as Kozed pointed out), that Brisbois is an offensive defenceman. All defensemen like him will occasionally create turnovers, have passes intercepted, etc. That is the risk you take, but it is a risk you must take. We always talk about our team speed and youth, but team speed comes from that first pass out of the zone, far more then just raw skating speed. Its about moving the puck.

Last year we had too many defensemen who could not move the puck and create that team speed. We got bottled up a lot and had no flow to the team game. With Brisbois, Streit, and Markov, I see huge improvement overall in the team offensive because we have a better balence of offensive versus defensive defensemen now.

People need to appreciate what guys like Brisbois bring to the overall game and not harp on every turn over. Its far worse when Komi turns it over, imo, because playing solid defense is his role. If he can't do that, he has no upside besides hitting. (not to pick on Komi here, just an example).

I second JoeLassiter's emotion :clap::clap: You've captured the nub of the issue perfectly. Brisebois, whatever his limitations, is turning out to have been a shrewd pickup, adding considerable skill and depth on our blueline. If his name wasn't 'Brisebois' we'd all be praising Gainey for this small but significant off-season move.

Don't know if it has been said in this thread, but another great thing will be the locker room/media/interviews atmosphere. 2 wins in a row most of time = smooth atmosphere, good trainings where coachs can concentrate on the game and not contreversy, critics from media and fans, etc.

It could open the door to a nice winning streak because if we beat Carolina, Pitts and Atlanta might no be so tough too...

It could open the door to a nice winning streak because if we beat Carolina, Pitts and Atlanta might no be so tough too...

I was pondering the same streak idea. Unfortunately the Habs dont play again until Friday, so any positive momentum might be lost by then. :(

Lets hope not, and that the Habs come out strong against the Cannes and make up for loosing to them last time they played.

I was pondering the same streak idea. Unfortunately the Habs dont play again until Friday, so any positive momentum might be lost by then. :(

Lets hope not, and that the Habs come out strong against the Cannes and make up for loosing to them last time they played.

The schedule is really going to hurt us later on. We have had a pretty light schedule which means that at some point our schedule will be very heavy.

What can we do though?

I think the real question about Brisebois is whether Breezer at 750K x 1 is better than Souray at 5.5M x 4 (what Bob offered him). That would also probably mean no Hamrlik. So it's Souray for 5.5M or Hamrlik and Brisebois for 6.25M.

The schedule is really going to hurt us later on. We have had a pretty light schedule which means that at some point our schedule will be very heavy.

What can we do though?

I'm not sure we should be thinking in terms of 'streaks'...the team has had its modest run of success by getting the fundamentals mostly right: working hard, solid team defence, etc.. If your team is built on those elements then consistency is likely to be there. This doesn't rule out the possibility of a bit of rust on Friday though. I'm just saying that if the team follows this pattern, the neuroses of last year probably won't occur.

Yeah, but if you had ever seen me play hockey, you would know that I have no business commenting on back checking. :)

I was back in the slot the other day clearing the puck out and the goalie (who I have known for years) says to me "oh, didn't recognize you, never seen you up close like this before'. B)

You're Brett Hull?

I'm not sure we should be thinking in terms of 'streaks'...the team has had its modest run of success by getting the fundamentals mostly right: working hard, solid team defence, etc.. If your team is built on those elements then consistency is likely to be there. This doesn't rule out the possibility of a bit of rust on Friday though. I'm just saying that if the team follows this pattern, the neuroses of last year probably won't occur.

Man, this team has done a job on everyone. Worried about the collapse before the hot streak.

1 game at a time, or you are going to give yourself an ulcer

Sort of, think Brett Hull with 'Jan Bulis" offensive upside. :puke:

Hey, let's stop with the Jan Bulis jokes! Besides, I heard that in reality you're more of a Brett Hull with Gino Odjick offensive upside.

Hey, let's stop with the Jan Bulis jokes! Besides, I heard that in reality you're more of a Brett Hull with Gino Odjick offensive upside.

No way dude, I am definitely more "Jan Bulis". I get lots of chances, I just don't score on them. :hockey:

I have a great shot though, I can put it in a goalies glove no from any angle. :)