Guys "Mulling" Retirement

Fanpuck33

Ok, so we all know that Scott Neidermeyer, Teemu Selanne, and Peter Forsberg are all supposedly contemplating retirement. Personally, I think this whole Roger Clemens type stuff is pure crap. If I were GM of a team, I wouldn't want these guys on my team. I want guys who are willing to do the work and help out the team all season long. This type of thing totally destroys the concept of a team. I feel bad for the kids who are working their tails off to help their team but will eventually lose their spot to these guys who obviously care more about themselves than the team. Only in sports like tennis and golf should guys pick and choose when to play, since they don't have a whole team's worth of guys relying on them.

Just my two cents.

Entirely agreed bro, it's unacceptable that those "respected" players are sitting there mulling retirement, anaheim's GM (I forgot his name haha i think it's Burke lol) was pretty chill about it though in an interview with TSN however he did admit that he'd rather see Scotty play. Whatever they're players that give the game of hockey alot of publicity i'd hate to see them retire.

I agree ... but I think Forsberg's situation is alittle different .... he wants to play ... but only at the level he's used to giving .. he has major injury problems and is currently rehabbing ... I think if he was 100% healthy he would be playing right now ... as for Neidermyer and Selanne .. they're both healthy and will only play if they feel like it.

I agree ... but I think Forsberg's situation is alittle different .... he wants to play ... but only at the level he's used to giving .. he has major injury problems and is currently rehabbing ... I think if he was 100% healthy he would be playing right now ... as for Neidermyer and Selanne .. they're both healthy and will only play if they feel like it.

Yeah, if Forsberg was ready to go before the season started then he would've signed with a team but theres no point tieing up a teams cap space and then sitting out which he'd have to do anyway. I have been choked with Niedermayer and Selanne though, two supposedly respected members having the defending champs bending to their will because they still haven't decided whether they want to play or not. Burke is taking the wrong approach to it too, he has a team to manage and should be pressuring for them to make a decision so it stops becoming a distraction.

I used to like Scotty Niedermayer but the way he's treated the Anaheim organization like shit and has looked classless in the process IMHO.

Selanne is UFA ... so basically he can do what he wants if he so pleases. Neidermyer on the other hand is under contract to play and basically is a no show. I know he's accomplished alot but if he doesn't want to play anymore then say it and retire. If not show up and do your job. I can't believe it's taking him so long to figure out if he wants to play the game, i'm "assuming" he loves.

Yeah, if Forsberg was ready to go before the season started then he would've signed with a team but theres no point tieing up a teams cap space and then sitting out which he'd have to do anyway.

But if he's on the injury list he wouldn't be tying up any cap space and he'd be able to get to know his team, the coaching staff, the team's style. Signing before he's healthy benefits both the team that signs him as well as Peter himself.

But if he's on the injury list he wouldn't be tying up any cap space and he'd be able to get to know his team, the coaching staff, the team's style. Signing before he's healthy benefits both the team that signs him as well as Peter himself.

But he doesn't know how he'll be after he's done rehabbing, this is like his billionth surgery. Maybe this is the one that finally causes him to lose a step and he isn't the same Peter coming back. Better to know what he can do himself before he wastes an entire teams time.

Ok, so we all know that Scott Neidermeyer, Teemu Selanne, and Peter Forsberg are all supposedly contemplating retirement. Personally, I think this whole Roger Clemens type stuff is pure crap. If I were GM of a team, I wouldn't want these guys on my team. I want guys who are willing to do the work and help out the team all season long. This type of thing totally destroys the concept of a team. I feel bad for the kids who are working their tails off to help their team but will eventually lose their spot to these guys who obviously care more about themselves than the team. Only in sports like tennis and golf should guys pick and choose when to play, since they don't have a whole team's worth of guys relying on them.

Just my two cents.

Good thing your not a GM then ... if any of these guys came up at the trade deadline, a GM would jump at the chance to have them. Therefor, it reasons that getting them at anytime during a season would be a boost for the team ... so rejecting them because they need extra time would only damage the team's chances of getting the actual goal: the stanley cup.

Now, look at it from the player's perspectives: these guys are warriors who have battled often and have the scars and concussions to prove it. They have to weight both their commitment to the team, their health, and their commitments to their families. They are not invincible ... there is not a button that says "start again".

And then there is the real concern that they may not be able to perform at an adequate level, and thus they will not take a contract until they know they can fulfill it adequately (quite honorable IMO).

These guys aren't 1st year rookies trying to make an impression ... these guys are at the dusk of their careers, and the are now contemplating what they can actually do. If all they can do is show up late and help a team win Stanley, then that is all they can do. And if some team is stupid enough to reject them because they aren't team players, then that team probably won't win anyways.

My 2 cents.

as for Neidermyer and Selanne .. they're both healthy and will only play if they feel like it.

There are reports that Neidermyer has been concealing concussion problems -- the guy is old ... he has achieved all of his goals ... maybe he has new goals ...

Also, Selanne is a UFA ... why does he have to do anything? His contract is up.

If your body can't take a whole season, then it's time to hang 'em up. You either give your all to the team or you retire. If you can't decide if you still want to play, then your competitive drive is obviously on the decline. If they still had the physical ability and mental drive to play at a high level, then they wouldn't be sitting around thinking about it.

At the very least they could tell people that they either are or are not coming back in January or something. It's total BS that Neids is leaving it up in the air while he is still under contract. Its a slap in the face of his teammates who are going through the physical rigors of an entire season. I have nothing but respect for the careers these guys have had, but they don't deserve the special treatment of only having to play half a season. At least Forsberg has legitimate medical issues that are keeping him from playing.

The way some of you are reacting I'd think that Neidermeyer mentioned his desire to quit at the start of training camp, which is totally not what he did. Neidermeyer mentioned his desire to retire almost immediately after they won the Cup, same with Selanne. Its not like the Ducks didnt have any advance warning or anything, or that it was hurtful to the team. That is definitely not the case. Its not like Burke didnt have advance warning so he could go out and sign Schnieder to replace Neidermeyer and Burtuzzi to replace Selanne. I dont really see what the big deal is?

Neidermeyer signed with the Ducks to win another Cup, which he did.

The 1 thing i dont quite get is what happens with Neidermeyer's contract if he does actually retire? Do the Ducks have to keep paying him?

And no mention of that scam artist Roenick?

Peter will be back, with the Canucks.

how is Roenick a scam artist ? because he said he was going to retire, figuring that nobody wanted him on they're team ? SJ calls ( a legitimate Stanley Cup contender ) and says hey do you want to play and we don't expect you to do much more than be a leader and chip in here and there. Why wouldn't he jump on that ... especially since he hasn't won a cup ... and he pretty much took the league minimum to play.

Niedermayer's setting a poor example, really. From what I understand, he wanted to retire, but Burke begged him not to during the summer. So he didn't file papers at the time....and now for whatever reason he's dragging out this whole fiasco and it's just ridiculous. He's under contract, so he might as well just hang them up or come back. Just because he's a great player doesn't mean he should act the way he is acting now.

As for Selanne, he's a UFA, so the Ducks are silly to be waiting on him for anything.

I like how you ignore the many times Forsberg has said he won't play for the Canucks.

It's Avs or Sens for him, thats basically it.

I have no idea where your heard that info, because if thats true it definitely news to me. The only place I know Forsberg has no interst in going is Toronto. Of the other top 3 Swedes (other than Foppa) he doesnt get along with Sundin. Alfie and Naslund are both close friends of his, Sundin isnt.

how is Roenick a scam artist?

He quits

gets a job doing play by play

then realizes he could get to 500 goals

Good buddy calls and says I've got a spot for you

he gets the spot

unretires

just to pass 500 goals

he's not in it for a cup.

Thats so funny :lol:

J.R. is how many goals away from 500 at the start of this season? umm, 5. I'm fairly certain he was aware he could get 500 if he played another season. Its definitely not something he realized after he retired. J.R. only retired because at 37 he didnt feel that any team would have interest in him considering his last 2 seasons were complete flops with bottom dwelling teams. If there is any truth to your claims, then I suppose he will retire right after he scores 2 more goals then, because he has 0 interest in winning the Cup? :o Thats just silly talk, c'mon.

I have no idea where your heard that info, because if thats true it definitely news to me. The only place I know Forsberg has no interst in going is Toronto. Of the other top 3 Swedes (other than Foppa) he doesnt get along with Sundin. Alfie and Naslund are both close friends of his, Sundin isnt.

Thats so funny :lol:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221238&hubname=nhl Dallas, Philly, Avs and Ottawa are there. No Nucks.

K, I've read that article over 3 times now just to be certain. Nowhere in that article does it explicitly state that Forberg has said he only has interest in playing for Avs, Sens, Stars & Flyers. Nowhere!! All the article says is that those 4 teams feel they have the best chance of getting him. The article in no way what so ever says Foppa will not play for the Canucks. Even the Habs could end up with him according to the article:

Every team in the league believes they have a connection, or an "in" with Fosberg that may provide an edge.

Hmm, I wonder what Foppa "in" the Habs could have? ^_^

Foppa not playing for the Canucks is previous knowledge, it wouldn't be in that article. He's said it a few times, he won't play for Vancouver out of respect to Colorado.

McKenzie has also said he's heard from sources close to Forsberg, he'll only play where he's comfortable. I'm willing to guarantee he won't play for a Canadian team.