Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Hurricanes de la Caroline | 10/26/07

Spider-Man NL

Yeah, it's like I said after the Florida loss. This team has looked completely different from last season's - much more like the Carbonneau teams of the late 80s/early 90s, in terms of hustle, work ethic, and team play. And that can only be a good thing. This time around the fundamentals appear to be increasingly sound. The (predictable) 3rd-period drop-off in intensity is slightly worrisome; nonetheless, if the team as a whole keeps playing such fundamentally sound hockey, then all will be well. Don't look to individual decisions, or even losses - look to whether the team is playing that solid kind of hockey.

By the way, this may be my favourite quote about the Habs in recent years, courtesy of Yahoo sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2007102607):

"They moved the puck about as well as a power play can move it," Carolina defenseman Mike Commodore said. "We weren't great on the penalty-kill, but you have to give them credit. Their passes were right on the tape and when they had a chance to shoot, they shot. It was like Maurice Richard and Guy Lafleur out there."

Keep it up, folks, and the Forum ghosts will start creeping back! ;):)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

w0w, what a game. 5 PP goals!! :clap: Habs had 2nd best PP before last game so are the Habs 1st now?

Did Kosto instigate the fight? Kosto played well other than the fight. Theres no need for Habs to start fights when they are leading in any game. Fights usually just pump the other team up which is not what you want. After the fight in this game the Cannes were alive and at one point almost thinking they were back in the game. This time the Habs were lucky to have been up by that many goals or it might have been another Florida game give away. :o

Boullions on the other hand was brilliant. :lol: And some people dont like Boullion. :P

That was Dandy.

D'oh, me bad. It was Dandy. Not sure why Begin was benched then. :huh:

Big win last night.

Gui/Plex/Kovalev is hands down our best line....imagine if Gui ever finds his game and contributes something to the 'dynamic duo' of Plex and Kovy.

Higgins/Koivu/Ryder looked bad tonight...all three of them weren't on their game. Let's hope they come back strong tonight against the Pens...gonna need two lines on their game to get the win there I imagine.

The third period partial collapse wasn't all that surprising....when you play in a laugher for 40 minutes, it's easy to start coasting.

In spite of the late surge by the Canes, that was a hell of a road game by the Habs. Constantly attacking led to a multitude of power-plays, which they buried the puck on, and that was the key to the win. Hope to see more of the same at the Igloo tonight.

What a great win tonite. Only the 2nd loss in reg for the Canes. The PP came through huge with 4 in the first. How tough is it gonna be for Kostits and Gorges to get in the lineup now. Hate to change up a winning formual but with the back-to-backs I would put Kostits in for Grabs just so he does not rot and it would leave the lineup intact. As much as i'd like to see Gorges in there, no place for him right now. Even the Cube playin kinda solid right now. Nice to have Pleks going along with Saku. If Smokes gets going offensively look out. Nice to have a couple of blowouts, instead of the usual nailbiters. Loving Hammy the more and more i see him out there.

Well... I joined the game at the start of the second period and the hockey I watched was disappointing. The result was definitely encouraging but we got dominated 5-on-5 again and the only reason why the Canes didn't come back was because they kept on taking penalties. The PP looked great (the Koivu unit should take more shots though) and we even got a shorty at the end, but we were outscored 4-1 at even strength and that has got to change or we'll see our team's average plus-minus rating dip down beneath zero.

But we've now won three in a row and head into Pittsburgh with some momentum (and Price). I hope Kostitsyn finds his way back into the lineup but there is still no one to bench. Maybe he'll be tried out on the first line if they don't pick it up? Could Ryder be the next one to sit? He's been having a good season though and he's a streaky player so he'll be given a long chance. Maybe Grabovski can take a seat, from what I saw, he was a non-factor again, last night.

They were great in the first few games, especially that dominating loss against Florida, but they seem to have lost their touch.

Well... I joined the game at the start of the second period and the hockey I watched was disappointing. The result was definitely encouraging but we got dominated 5-on-5 again and the only reason why the Canes didn't come back was because they kept on taking penalties.

Clearly, the fault was with your presence. ^_^

They are changing the culture people. If you want to see an 8th place team, keep worrying how Koivu feels, or Kosty feels, or Kovy feels. Work Hard and Carbo will not punish you. Jesus, these guys are supposed to be men, I could care less about their feelings. A system only works if EVERYBODY buys in, if you don't want to buy in then your time in Montreal will be limited.

:clap:

The team formula the coaching staff is trying to instill in the players works. Koivu's little stint on the 4th for ONE shift is nothing but a little reminder by Carbo that even at 6-2 you dont forget your defensive responsabilities.

Players can't coast anymore. That era has ended. Finaly we've got the depth that allow the coaches to use discipline to break the guys into the team mold. And it's paying off because every guy on the roster wants to contribute.

The challenge is to maintain that spirit all season long.

The Mike Komisarek penatly was such an idiotic call by the refs. It's like the refs are saying that you are not allowed to go for the puck if it trips someone in the the process. Komisarek made contact with the puck first and then the guy tripped over his stick. Refs have got to be better than that.

Best comment on the game...

"They moved the puck about as well as a power play can move it," Carolina defenseman Mike Commodore said. "We weren't great on the penalty-kill, but you have to give them credit. Their passes were right on the tape and when they had a chance to shoot, they shot. It was like Maurice Richard and Guy Lafleur out there."

source

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=2

Best comment on the game...

source

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=2

Hahaha. So good to read.

The other teams will be scared to push it too far in the physical department now. They'll start thinking twice about taking the risk of having our PP unleashed on them.

The Mike Komisarek penatly was such an idiotic call by the refs. It's like the refs are saying that you are not allowed to go for the puck if it trips someone in the the process. Komisarek made contact with the puck first and then the guy tripped over his stick. Refs have got to be better than that.

Yeah, Komisarek made a great play and shouldn't have been punished for it but we killed off the penalty anyway.