Full face masks would stop injuries to the head

Pierre the Great

Okay I just looked at tsn, another big hit. Kid has a broken nose and possible concussion.

A full face mask spreads the force of the hit around. Best example is in auto racing and their full face helmets and hockey with goalie helmets.

Anyway, full face masks would stop these injuries from happening, sadly, somebody is going to die, ala Dale Earnhardt Sr. in Nascar, for anyone to actually do something. (or the girl in Columbus who died of a puck flying into the stands, oh then the NHL decides to put up the nets.)

typical of the human race.

Have you ever worn a full-face helmet? Peripheral vision is cut down quite a bit, especially downwards ... where the puck tends to be. Don't think this is the answer.

So would bubblewrap...................and padded boards, and so on and so on...... Until guys stop (at the last split second) turning into the boards this type of injury will continue. A player can't stop mid flight when the player in front of him turns at the last second

When I played hockey my elbow pads were just that elbow pads. They had padding around the sides, and a plastic disc in the elbow (covered by padding) Have you seen what their wearing now? The padding is on the inside, and the whole outer shell is basically a hard shell.

no I have not.

But that's what race car drivers said about the hans device

Football players about the face mask

You adapt, its a part of life.

Right, because facemasks and advanced helmet technology have stopped concussions from happening. There are as many concussions as ever in the NFL, seems like someone gets one every week. Facemasks will protect the face more, but they aren't gonna do a whole lot to stop concussions. A blow to the head is a blow to the head.

i don't think it would happen in the NHL, but as far as the Bergeron hit from behind goes, I've got to agree with Cherry on this one, you have to know who's coming before you go into a corner like that

perhaps but that doesn'T make the jones hit right either. he's the third flyer to hit to someone's head in a month.

I hope he gets 50 games because obviously,players dont care about 25 games. maybe should the team be denied of a decent draft pick( say a 2nd rounder). that would be a great start!!

Jones' hit wasn't dirty though and it wasn't attempt to injure. Nor was it a hit to the head - Jones didn't check him and hit him in the head, he pushed him and Bergeron hit his head on the boards. Big difference.

Cherry pointed out something last night (Yeah I watched him, so sue me). Players are taught to put their back between the defender and the boards in order to protect the puck. If you look at a some of these hits, how many guys turn around late. Yeah, the players delivering the hits are usually over the line in how the check a guy, usually across the shoulders or the middle of the back and downwards, but if you turn your back on a guy an expect not to get hit, then you need a much bigger helmet. The best way to take a hit is to get as close to the boards as possible, not create separation by turning around.

Jones' hit wasn't dirty though and it wasn't attempt to injure. Nor was it a hit to the head - Jones didn't check him and hit him in the head, he pushed him and Bergeron hit his head on the boards. Big difference.

He most definitely leads with his arms and pushes Bergeron at shoulder downward so that his face goes into the dasher. If he'd gone in without leading like the arms, it's probably a two minute minor. Leading with his arms like that, however, is not cool.

Full face mask would not prevent concussions, but would prevent Berard- and Koivu-like injuries.

The problem is that players don't even like half (quarter!) visors...

But players are obliged to play with fullface until junior or NCAA, so they're used to it. It'd be possible to eventually simply not allow to remove the fullface when they become pro. A "grandfather clause" would be necessary tho, like they did when for the helmet

The "downsides" of fullfaces are less fights and no more 4 minutes highstick penalties :P

Edited by Punkned

the full face mask is a bad idea.

The reason players take runs at eachother trying to hit them into outer space is because they feel invincible.

You never saw this many bone crunching hits before the helmet was introduced.

Making the full face mask necessary would make players feel that nothing could hurt them.

It would also make fighting impossible, which would also increase dirty hits and cheap shots

the full face mask is a bad idea.

The reason players take runs at eachother trying to hit them into outer space is because they feel invincible.

You never saw this many bone crunching hits before the helmet was introduced.

Making the full face mask necessary would make players feel that nothing could hurt them.

It would also make fighting impossible, which would also increase dirty hits and cheap shots

There is some logic to this. Last summer I was playing on a team with a guy from alberta who didn't wear a face mask, because apparently no one out there does. He was telling me how crazy it is the way people swing their sticks around in our beer leagues (where 90% use full masks), whereas in alberta beer leagues where no ones got a mask, everyone keeps their sticks down.