Loonie rises againt the Euro

Pierre the Great

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the USD is on the decline and worthlessly outdated, I think the Canadian news media needs to look towards the future and not the past which is a declining empire.

The future is the Euro

Loonie was up a cent today on the Euro

1 canadian = .73 Euros

Great NEWS.

CANADA THE NEXT SUPER POWER!!!!

WA HAHAHAHAH :)

actually the next super power depending on if they don't f--- it up is China and the EU.

Yes, the EU.

Because the EU will become the money of choice after the US implodes/gets destroyed. Instead of everyone basing their money on the USD it will be to the EU. EU will replace the USD as the "international currency".

China is self explanatory.

China vs. US with the US getting destroyed and in rubble more then Europe was during the Second world war is going to happen because of its death wish for wanting war.

I don't see the US surviving this century much less 2050.

the euro can kiss my sweat sack. we dont want it. we dont want europe either. because of them twits every fire extinguisher is red with a smally blue,white or black colour marking on them rather than the main paintwork being a different colour for each type of extinguisher.

(im office fire marshall).

the euro can kiss my sweat sack. we dont want it. we dont want europe either. because of them twits every fire extinguisher is red with a smally blue,white or black colour marking on them rather than the main paintwork being a different colour for each type of extinguisher.

Yeah, that really pissed me off too :huh:

I like the buck is rising, but it is killing me over here. The won is increasin, but the buck is increasing even faster. I really hope it does go back down to around .90 ... not only for my advantage, but because it is way more favourable for trade.

Also, I wouldn't count the US out just yet ... especially since the Dems will be in the white house soon, and should real the wobbly economy back in to check.

That is screwed, which one is co2 incase i ever need it.

If its Hillary vs. Guillaini,

Guillaini wins

the world will cease to exist at the end his term, Iran, Syria, Pakistan, North Korea, Venezuela . He'll turn the US into a police state.

Clinton wins, we go to war with Iran.

great outlook.

you might be the worst prognosticator I've ever seen.

you might be the worst prognosticator I've ever seen.

Hillary wants to look and be like a hawk, of course she'll attack Iran if it would help her gain votes on the right. She's a Clinton, that's what Clinton's do. People on the left or what they see as being "left" will always vote democratic because in this two party dictatorship where are they going to go? It's really a shame of what has become of the United States.

Hillary wants to look and be like a hawk, of course she'll attack Iran if it would help her gain votes on the right. She's a Clinton, that's what Clinton's do. People on the left or what they see as being "left" will always vote democratic because in this two party dictatorship where are they going to go? It's really a shame of what has become of the United States.

I sincerely doubt Clinton would be so eager to invade Iran, but I was a bit more taken aback by your suggestion that Giuliani would invade five different countries, get rid of democracy in the US (as it exists), and destroy social freedoms. I think a Giuliani presidency would be really, really bad, but that's almost cartoon bad.

1) Even with a draft and a huge increase in defense spending, I doubt the US would even have the resources to promote such offensive warfare. See how we are struggling to maintain 2 relatively modest (compared to Powell-esque US military operation) foreign troop presences.

2) I think Giuliani is perhaps more intolerant towards dissent than Bush, but he's not going to start shutting down newspapers and the like.

3) For all that Giuliani scares me, he is, for a republican, socially liberal. He's not going to start forcing mandatory prayer, illegalize abortion, push a homophobic agenda. I also don't see him pandering to the evangelical right to the extent that Bush has. I imagine that in a Giuliani administration, the faith based initiatives stuff will wither.

Giuliani is an immoral jerk who probably couldn't handle the scrutiny, subleties, and complexities inherent in a presidency, but he's not a cross between Tojo and Mussolini.

That's why Rudy will win most likely.

He's socially liberal.

There's no doubt in my mind a Guiliani presidency would continue on the Bush one, except with more hot air and threats except Guiliani will act on it, he's a bully, that's his persona. Remember he's the kind of human being that defends police brutality. (as his record in nyc shows). He won't get along with a democratic house and senate.

But a Guiliani ticket would include somebody from the crazy right to "ensure the sheep" that "he's a good guy". Probably Huckabee.

I like the buck is rising, but it is killing me over here. The won is increasin, but the buck is increasing even faster.

was out in Seoul last weekend, yeah the won is also making a move relative to the yen, cost me a fair bit more than last year.

To those who say the Euro will become the reference, instead of the US Dollar, I say yes I hope so too, and as someone who travels a lot I can say the last year or so there is evidence that the Euro is starting to establish itself at least as equal as a reference to other currencies. On the other hand at many airports in Asia (like Gimpo) the duty free shops still post all their prices only in US$.

Yeah, that really pissed me off too :huh:

I like the buck is rising, but it is killing me over here. The won is increasin, but the buck is increasing even faster. I really hope it does go back down to around .90 ... not only for my advantage, but because it is way more favourable for trade.

Also, I wouldn't count the US out just yet ... especially since the Dems will be in the white house soon, and should real the wobbly economy back in to check.

I feel your pain. I was in Korea in 97-98 when the won imploded and I lost 60% of my salary(in CND terms) almost overnight. Fortunatly, I just started a new job in Qatar that pays in CND so every time the $ goes up my buying power increases :clap:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump off the USD boys.

It's not as if the US is going to simply stop doing business...and any economic slow down will not be so hard as to send them into a depression of such significant proportions that the world will jump off their currency.

The world needs a major, stable, currency to trade in. The US market will continue to provide that.

The reason the world compares it's dollar to the US dollar is kind of like the english language...it's just kind of become the accepted practice for no other reason then a common ground was needed.

If the US economy and dollar ever becomes so unstable that they're considering bankruptcy then you'll see change. But not likely until that point.

Comparing across currencies is perhaps one of the most inane things I think people do. From a consumer perspective in Canada it has relevancy only if you are travelling to the US...and for little else. Retail pricing will competitively work itself out...people are just pushing for it to happen faster. Otherwise, the cost of doing things within Canada really hasn't changed...and won't change a whole lot. The business perspective is a little different...ya love it if you are selling commodities and raw materials...ya hate it if you're in manufacturing. Ontario is about to get burned by this dollar and voting in the two faced McGuinty, or Toronto keeping Miller in power, isn't about to help them out of the predicament...if you're in Ontario you should seriously consider moving to another province for a couple years. lol

The rise of the loonie is the side story here. The real story is the hot Canadian economy which added many more jobs than anticipated this month - 63 000 to be specific.

O Canada! The greatest nation on earth now has a smoking hot economy to go along with it.

how many of those jobs were minimum wage jobs which is the majority of new jobs added in BC and Alberta.

250,000 in BC people would be taken above the poverty line BC if the BC Liberals upped the minimum wage up to 10 an hour.

In order to break even you've got to work 50hrs a week.

Campbell gave himself a raising saying he deserved it.

Probably because he needed to buy more alcohol.

The rise of the loonie is the side story here. The real story is the hot Canadian economy which added many more jobs than anticipated this month - 63 000 to be specific.

O Canada! The greatest nation on earth now has a smoking hot economy to go along with it.

We have always had a smoking pot economy. ;)

how many of those jobs were minimum wage jobs which is the majority of new jobs added in BC and Alberta.

250,000 in BC people would be taken above the poverty line BC if the BC Liberals upped the minimum wage up to 10 an hour.

In order to break even you've got to work 50hrs a week.

Campbell gave himself a raising saying he deserved it.

Probably because he needed to buy more alcohol.

I don't think the poverty line can be used to judge how well people are doing.

The poverty line is the minimum level of income deemed necessary to achieve an adequate standard of living. the poverty line is significantly higher in developed nations than in developing countries. Even if people are below the poverty line in Canada, they are still reasonably well of compared to most people around the world due to the incredible standard of living in this country.

Also, you have no facts to back up your claims that most of the jobs are minimum wage jobs. Even if they are, that 63 000 jobs created are for 63 000 people who were previously making nothing.

Even if they are mostly minimum wage jobs, they can't all be. Some must be very well paying jobs. Also, minimum wage jobs don't always tend to stay at minimum wage. Even Macdonald's employees tend to have their salaries increased if they stick around long enough. I seriously doubt it was only a bunch of Wal-Marts and sweatshops that created these 63 000 positions.

Edited by markierung

I don't think the poverty line can be used to judge how well people are doing.

The poverty line is the minimum level of income deemed necessary to achieve an adequate standard of living. the poverty line is significantly higher in developed nations than in developing countries. Even if people are below the poverty line in Canada, they are still reasonably well of compared to most people around the world due to the incredible standard of living in this country.

Also, you have no facts to back up your claims that most of the jobs are minimum wage jobs. Even if they are, that 63 000 jobs created are for 63 000 people who were previously making nothing.

Even if they are mostly minimum wage jobs, they can't all be. Some must be very well paying jobs. Also, minimum wage jobs don't always tend to stay at minimum wage. Even Macdonald's employees tend to have their salaries increased if they stick around long enough. I seriously doubt it was only a bunch of Wal-Marts and sweatshops that created these 63 000 positions.

Agreed. Pierre sounds like a bleeding heart liberal who believes the government should simply hand out cheques to everyone because he "knows" all 63000 jobs are minimum wage. Trust me, you can't hire anyone in Alberta at minimum wage rates anymore...even Tim Hortons is paying WAY more then they do elsewhere.

Everyone needs to understand that the poverty line in Canada is not calculated based on the wages needed to pay for the necessities...it is higher then that as it's based on a proportional amount vs. the average. If Canada calculated the poverty line in an income needed to buy the necessities of life then it would be much lower then it currently is represented. Yet we still have bleeding hearts crying out "gimme more"...because apparently the job of the government is to pay for their "wants" rather then them actually having to work a little overtime like everyone else.

Pierre thinks he has to work 50 hours to make ends meet? You have internet, probably a cell, probably more then a cheap car, probably an above average place to live...you work 50 hours to have luxury items you don't actually "need". You want to acquire more wealth...make sacrifices.

A great thing about dollar parity is that it is finally opening people's eyes to the fact that consumer goods are so expensive here compared to the USA. No longer can governments hide behind the populations lack of ability to convert currency, now there is actual public debate on why poultry, dairy, booze, cars, and just about every good are so expensive here. Supply management systems that allow uncompetitive canadian businesses to bilk the canadian consumer through taxes, supply quota systems, and tariffs on import are now under the public microscope, demand to do something about them is growing.