Positive Discrimination

Killer Carlson

Just been rejected by the police for being 'white and straight'. thats right - they told me they have a quota to fill and white and straight aint what their looking for right now. :puke:

this pc nonsense is ridicolous. :angry:

I agree with you. It is called affirmative action. Many people believe it is a problematic solution, to an even more problematic solution: what to do about inequality in the work place, and how to stop its perpetuation? So, although it sucks for you, until we have true equality where people are, as Dr. King once said, not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character".

We have a long way to go until that happens, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Why not just out yourself and get the gig? Then have a change of heart 2 yrs into carreer, they can't fire you for being str8!

If you are single you may even find a nice female officer to help mend your ways !!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Constable Killer -- wow!

Like johnny says, maybe just put a swish in your stride, and eye the truncheon suggestively?

ill pretend im sikh muslim or hindhu too that may help.

When I saw the headline, I thought ManUnited had caved to pressure to release more Old Trafford tickets to City fans for derby matches. ;)

Sorry to hear the bad news killer.

that's disgusting. I had those type's of laws. I don't understand why they can't just invest a little more money into making sure that the people they put in charge of staffing are aren't racist.

I don't get it. They trust jurors in court to be impartial but they can't trust the people in charge of hiring police officers.

that's disgusting. I had those type's of laws. I don't understand why they can't just invest a little more money into making sure that the people they put in charge of staffing are aren't racist.

I don't get it. They trust jurors in court to be impartial but they can't trust the people in charge of hiring police officers.

not that it is perfect, but they do screen jurors.

• 2 weeks later...
Just been rejected by the police for being 'white and straight'. thats right - they told me they have a quota to fill and white and straight aint what their looking for right now. :puke:

this pc nonsense is ridicolous. :angry:

I'm surprised you didn't know this already.

I went through the OPP a while back was flat out told during the interviews there were 2 spots for "White guys" and 7 positions overall. 2 spots had to be women, and the disturbing part was out of the 4 natives he had for interviews that 3 would be hired to keep the "balance".

Gott like those odds huh?

I'm pretty sure the hiring officers are following the guidelines handed down by their bosses.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade - but you can't be rejected simply for being white and straight to get into law school. The candidate has to be on the brink of being rejected for that to apply...However it is true that if you qualify to apply under the new Access program (black, aboriginal) then you can get in with a lower LSAT score. So say, a person with a 160 LSAT score in the reg. program (which we'll assume has a 160 cutoff) vs. a guy in Access with 158, the guy with 158 gets in...that kind of thing.

But if you've still got a high LSAT, it doesn't matter if you're black or white, you're getting into McGill.

So the rejection isn't simply for being white, it is for not having a high enough score to beat the cutoff for the regular program.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade - but you can't be rejected simply for being white and straight to get into law school.

One spot is open, two people to choose from. Everything about them is the same except for one thing. One is white, one is a minority. Who do you think is getting the spot?

one less white lawyer in law school. Who cares. Personally I think the small minority of white people who complain, don't want to be "taken over" by "outsiders". That would explain there small world view. Now I'm not saying that picking over someone based on race is right or wrong, but the whole idea of the white argument is that good spots are being taken up by unqualified people. If this is true, I'd like to see the proof of this. The more stuff like this pops up the more I believe its some kind of racial power struggle.

One spot is open, two people to choose from. Everything about them is the same except for one thing. One is white, one is a minority. Who do you think is getting the spot?

If you read my entire post - I'm saying that the issue of being white is not the only reason. The above poster mentioned it like it was the sole reason for rejection. Rather, the rejection is also based on the lower score as compared to the rest accepted into the program.

Out of curiousity, how would you prefer to choose between two entirely equal candidates? Seems to me like if they choose the minority person, they're lambasted by whites for being PC, and if they choose the white person, they're lambasted for not giving minorities a shot in a traditionally white profession.

Anyhow, how it is decided is candidates who apply under the regular program are not considered based on race at all, but those who are in the access program are given preferential treatment (and they include not only visible minorities, but also mature students, and students who are from lower income backgrounds (including white individiuals)).

Out of curiousity, how would you prefer to choose between two entirely equal candidates? Seems to me like if they choose the minority person, they're lambasted by whites for being PC, and if they choose the white person, they're lambasted for not giving minorities a shot in a traditionally white profession.

Hire whomever the person doing the hiring likes better. Fire someone already working who is lesser than the two candidates. :lol: That's the whole problem with AA, with or without it somebody's gonna have room to complain. All I know is that senior year in high school, black kids from wealthy families were getting better scholarships than I got, despite my academic record being much better. That's the main kind of case I'm thinking of here.

Hire whomever the person doing the hiring likes better. Fire someone already working who is lesser than the two candidates. :lol: That's the whole problem with AA, with or without it somebody's gonna have room to complain. All I know is that senior year in high school, black kids from wealthy families were getting better scholarships than I got, despite my academic record being much better. That's the main kind of case I'm thinking of here.

Yes but as i mentioned it seems to be a race war with the white establishment afraid of losing power. (this is ptg being neutral here). That's what it seems like, as mentioned above. Then the media takes hold of it and makes it into a racial issue.

Saint Louis is going through this right now with the hiring of the new fire chief. The black candidate has the much higher rank as lt. fire chief so ideally he should replace the old chief. But taking the test (there's also a sit down interview) the white candidate got a 91.7 and the black candidate got an 87.4. uh oh.

Now from an observers point of view, st. louis due to "white flight" the black population is 80% of the total pop. So ideally you want a black person representing the majority of the people.

Like in parliament if you have a majority asian riding you want someone from that community that represents it. You're not going to have a white guy running.

Does this all seem fair? Not really, but that's what life is I'm afraid, we as humans decided to group ourselves by race, race isn't a human thing, its a culture identity. So basically we dug our own grave on this one, and we're going to have to live with it.

one less white lawyer in law school. Who cares. Personally I think the small minority of white people who complain, don't want to be "taken over" by "outsiders". That would explain there small world view. Now I'm not saying that picking over someone based on race is right or wrong, but the whole idea of the white argument is that good spots are being taken up by unqualified people. If this is true, I'd like to see the proof of this. The more stuff like this pops up the more I believe its some kind of racial power struggle.

Its fine to talk about one less person in law school, in McGill, as fire chief, etc. And while it may seem like a small matter to substitute someone slightly less qualified because they are a minority it is discrimination and the one who gets rejected even though his scores are better is justifiably angry. That person is being discriminated against and being rejected because of his skin colour or whatever. This produces one very angry person. I don't really see this as an effective way to combat discrimination.

How can anyone argue that anything less then the most qualified candidate getting selected for a job/program/etc?

An "Access" program with a candidate having a lesser grade is still a candidate with a lesser grade.

If you are running for Fire Chief(or simply a Fireman), Police officer, or ANY OTHER JOB, the top candidate should be hired. Period. Any discussion to the contrary brings the subject of race to the discussion and THAT taints ANY decision as potentially being racist...whether it's affirmative action or not.

I fail to see how this type of discussion can be anything other then cut and dry.

Does this eliminate racist people who are doing the hiring or selection from making a decision based on race? No, obviously not...but in the end all we can do is continue to promote the best people forward...competition breeds progress. Promoting people who are undeserving can put lives at risk(in the case of Police and Firemen) and promotes a concept that you do not need to be successful(in school, work, life) to succeed. It promotes a sense of entitlement to groups of people...and that leads to generational welfare, hand-outs, crying, whining, moaning groups who simply feel they can't get on in life without everyone else giving them more then others receive. Admittedly, I'm making a broad statement and, yes, I fully realise that this is not true for the entirety of a group, but it is true for a large portion of any group.