Are you happy or unhappy with...

Nilan25

Is everyone happy with the:play of Roman Hamrlik and Brisebois, Tomas Plekanek, Chris Higgins, the class of Saku Koivu, Komisarek's strength and attitude, a Kovalev that appears to care, the early signs of Price being a solid goaltender, Smolinski's smarts. Waiting for Streit.

Reasons to be unhappy: Guillame Latendresse, Ryder, Kostitsyns inability to hold on to the puck or get a shot off. Gorges inability to contain in the corners, generally, physically overmatched, Bouillions injury when he was showing signs of a comeback. Grabowskis inability to show his stuff in the big leagues.

Edited by Nilan25

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Gorges has played very well. I don't know what your talking about there, he wins more battles then he loses. He has made 1 bad pass this year, get over it.

Higgins Koivu Kovalev Komi Hamrlik goaltending excellent

Markov Brisbois pleks smoke Chipchura begin Kostopolous good

Bouilon Streit Lats Kosty ok

Grabovski Ryder poor

Is everyone happy with the:play of Roman Hamrlik and Brisebois, Tomas Plekanek, Chris Higgins, the class of Saku Koivu, Komisarek's strength and attitude, a Kovalev that appears to care, the early signs of Price being a solid goaltender, Smolinski's smarts. Waiting for Streit.

Reasons to be unhappy: Guillame Latendresse, Ryder, Kostitsyns inability to hold on to the puck or get a shot off. Gorges inability to contain in the corners, generally, physically overmatched, Bouillions injury when he was showing signs of a comeback. Grabowskis inability to show his stuff in the big leagues.

I disagree as well with your statement about Gorges. He has come in and played very solid (minus the 1 bad giveaway)

I think there is a lot of reason to be optimistic and I still think Ryder can turn it around. All goal scorers go through slumps.

With Kostitsyn he got off to a slow start but I think when he gets more chances on the top two lines he will round into form. I think he has to potential to be one of the best playmakers in the league, his ability to pass the puck is really amazing. We saw flashes of it last season near the end but he he gets consistent mins on the 2nd line I think he can be explosive.

I'm gonna have to agree with the others. Other than one game, Gorges has been decent, if not solid back on the D.

I have no complaints about the guy.

Hamrlik is a god send. Great signing by Babs! Even though Hamrlik is 33 years old, he will help soidy our d for the next 4 years!

Perhaps I have been a little harsh with Gorges. I still see the same thing I used to see with Dadenault being not physically matched well in situations. Forgot to mention two things: Markov a horse, steady.

penalty kill needs to improve considering who is running the team.

Komisarek... I'm happy on one end and unhappy on the other. He's playing tougher than last year, which is good as long as he learns how not to take stupid penalties and instead punish the other team's forwards... It's just a matter of growing into the role I guess.

Right now, I find he's making a few boneheaded plays, more often than he did last year... But overall, our D is SOOOO improved over last season that it's a moot point...

I have to laugh, in a way. All the anguished and angry hand-wringing over Bob's failure to sign any big name UFAs, people calling for his head, he should be fired, this season will be a disaster, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahBLAHBLAHBLAH.

Every single one of Bob's summer moves, at this early date, is looking impeccable.

Brisebois has improved our transition game and added veteran presence. Kostopolous has added much needed grit, toughness, character, and leadership. Smolinski has been doing exactly what he's supposed to, serving as a useful jack-of-all-trades. And Hamrlik!! Man, this guy is underrated by fans only because you have to know hockey to appreciate the qualities he brings. He has done more than anyone else to stabilize our back end. He almost always makes the smart play. It's just a relief to watch a guy like that chewing up minutes for the CH. We quietly went out and got a #1A defenceman - and for that Gainey was roasted.

But no, I guess we should have blown $7 mil a year on Scott Gomez, the fans would have been happy... :rolleyes:

Happy with the team so far, and most of the players ... although I think it is too early to be getting unhappy with certain players ... patience ... it is a long season, and some of those guys your happy about may go through a slump yet, while the ones your unhappy with may start lighting it up.

In fact, the only thing I am unhappy with right now is the title of your thread ... can people please start being less ambiguous with their titles?!?

Perhaps I have been a little harsh with Gorges. I still see the same thing I used to see with Dadenault being not physically matched well in situations. Forgot to mention two things: Markov a horse, steady.

penalty kill needs to improve considering who is running the team.

i think dandy has been good this year, he shows incredible speed and great forechecking with Begin. I like what I see with him on the wing. I think the season has been great so far, but im still pissed about that game vs toronto, it just gets me that we can play so dynamite against every time in the league EXCEPT toronto? WTF? I hate the leafs

The thing with Hamrlik, though, is if that contract will look good in the 3rd and (in particular) 4th years. He's had injury problems and will be 37 at the end of it all. No doubt he plays a very impressive game, and he was probably underrated in Calgary because he was playing with a rising star in Phaneuf.

I always thought Harmlik was easily an improvement over Souray. My concern was the term, as it would've been for Souray as well. Just a few years ago, Hamrlik was probably the best defenceman in the Eastern conference not in New Jersey (this was before Chara & Redden's emergence). He's always been good. Coming out of the lockout there were major concerns about his knees. So the concerns are just a case of "how long".

I have to laugh, in a way. All the anguished and angry hand-wringing over Bob's failure to sign any big name UFAs, people calling for his head, he should be fired, this season will be a disaster, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahBLAHBLAHBLAH.

Every single one of Bob's summer moves, at this early date, is looking impeccable.

Brisebois has improved our transition game and added veteran presence. Kostopolous has added much needed grit, toughness, character, and leadership. Smolinski has been doing exactly what he's supposed to, serving as a useful jack-of-all-trades. And Hamrlik!! Man, this guy is underrated by fans only because you have to know hockey to appreciate the qualities he brings. He has done more than anyone else to stabilize our back end. He almost always makes the smart play. It's just a relief to watch a guy like that chewing up minutes for the CH. We quietly went out and got a #1A defenceman - and for that Gainey was roasted.

But no, I guess we should have blown $7 mil a year on Scott Gomez, the fans would have been happy... :rolleyes:

It is like every conversation that took place this summer, it is why everybody ranked the Habs at 13th. This is not Fantasy Hockey. It is the NHL, and Bob (maybe by necessity) has built this team as exactly that...a TEAM.

The funny thing is they are still being widely regarded as the same team as last year. Quick start, they will fall apart again.

The Canadian media will not take this team seriously until they start to lay whippings on the Leafs. For some reason the Leafs just continue to have their number. That being said they have upgraded almost every position from last year.

I am happy with

the integration of Chips and Price into the lineup.

the performance of all the Free Agents.

Higgins hunger to win on a nightly basis.

Kovalev showing up to play.

Huet showing that his All-Star game was not a fluke.

The defence's willingness to make great pinches and improved transition game.

I am marginally disappointed in Latendresse and Kostitsyn. But young players fight inconsistency. I would love to see Lats placed on a scoring line. His puck skills are average, he looks like he is ankle burning, but whenever he plays with Koivu he looks like a different player. All he needs to do is give up the puck, go up and down his wing, head hard to the net and play strong on the boards. If you provide him with somebody to get him the puck in scoring zones he has the hands to finish.

Kostitsyn, I would love to see Carbo with the patience for him that he has with Ryder. I can't believe there is not a spot for him among the 12 forwards.

Ryder. I thought that guy was going to get 40-50 goals one year after his first season. He used to get 2-3 scoring chances per game. Originally I just assumed as he matured he would bury more. I didn't realise that he needs 3-4 chances to score 1.

Very disappointed in him. He is playing himself out of a big payday.

Grabovski. I would say I am disappointed but I never really had huge hopes, and did not expect him to make the team.

I still would love to see Gainey package some youth/UFA/picks to acquire a front line scorer. Who knows if it will happen.

I am still not sold, but I am impressed with the start.

I am marginally disappointed in Latendresse and Kostitsyn. But young players fight inconsistency. I would love to see Lats placed on a scoring line. His puck skills are average, he looks like he is ankle burning, but whenever he plays with Koivu he looks like a different player. All he needs to do is give up the puck, go up and down his wing, head hard to the net and play strong on the boards. If you provide him with somebody to get him the puck in scoring zones he has the hands to finish.

Kostitsyn, I would love to see Carbo with the patience for him that he has with Ryder. I can't believe there is not a spot for him among the 12 forwards.

I don't think you can say Lats hasn't been given a chance on a scoring line. He's played a bunch of games on the plek-kovalev line. I wouldn't necessarily be averse to him getting a bit of a shot with koivu, but he has been really struggling.

Kostitsyn seems to have played his way on to the second line.

I am delighted :D Love the record. Love our stats. I'm not worried about 5 on 5 or the PK. These things should come together in time. All in all I am of the opinion that if a genie at the beginning of the year said we would go 14GP-8W-3L-3T/OTL and to be 4th in GF at 46 and 21 in GA (might as well call the GA 10th best), I'd say, "where do I sign?"

:clap:

PS. All stats listed are overall NHL stats

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I don't think you can say Lats hasn't been given a chance on a scoring line. He's played a bunch of games on the plek-kovalev line. I wouldn't necessarily be averse to him getting a bit of a shot with koivu, but he has been really struggling.

Kostitsyn seems to have played his way on to the second line.

With all due respect to Plekanec he is not in the same category of center as Koivu.

Last season on the first line Latendresse looked like a future star.

If left to create on his own he will most likely be labelled a bust.

I am delighted :D Love the record. Love our stats. I'm not worried about 5 on 5 or the PK. These things should come together in time. All in all I am of the opinion that if a genie at the beginning of the year said we would go 14GP-8W-3L-3T/OTL and to be 4th in GF at 46 and 21 in GA (might as well call the GA 10th best), I'd say, "where do I sign?"

:clap:

PS. All stats listed are overall NHL stats

I am not falling into that trap again. I have been touting this team as a team that can be a top 4 team all summer.

I am in no way surprised by that record. But I will not let 14 games determine my opinion on this team.

They have to prove to me through January that they are as good as I think they can be.

I'm not sure exactly why everyone is bashing on Lats! He has been getting some real good chances, just not putting the puck in the net. The goals will come , he's young, just remember last year we were saying the same thing, and he was actually our best player during stretches of the year, itll happen again, just let him play with the same line for a bit and things will come

I'm not sure exactly why everyone is bashing on Lats! He has been getting some real good chances, just not putting the puck in the net. The goals will come , he's young, just remember last year we were saying the same thing, and he was actually our best player during stretches of the year, itll happen again, just let him play with the same line for a bit and things will come

I am not down on Lats. Mildly disappointed. He is young, he will be streaky. But his future is not a 3rd/4th liner.

I understand that Carbo is rewarding people for hardwork, so if Lats works hard, I hope they put him on a scoring line.

i think dandy has been good this year, he shows incredible speed and great forechecking with Begin. I like what I see with him on the wing. I think the season has been great so far, but im still pissed about that game vs toronto, it just gets me that we can play so dynamite against every time in the league EXCEPT toronto? WTF? I hate the leafs

oh man I know, I hate the leafs so much. But more importantly I hate the way we play them

I am not falling into that trap again. I have been touting this team as a team that can be a top 4 team all summer.

I am in no way surprised by that record. But I will not let 14 games determine my opinion on this team.

They have to prove to me through January that they are as good as I think they can be.

Yeah but I was actually responding to my feelings as they relate to November 6, 2007. I am weary too and I hoping things don't slide.

I am very happy with Hamrlik's play. He is just so responsible with the puck and i must say that i am happy that they signed him instead of Souray.

Breezer has looked pretty good. He is making hardly anything so that was a good sign.

Kovalev is playing the best hockey of his Habs career.

Koivu and Plekanecs have looked good so far as well.

Yeah but I was actually responding to my feelings as they relate to November 6, 2007. I am weary too and I hoping things don't slide.

But those are my feelings as of today. I am happy with the start, but it comes with the fear of letdown.

I bought in hook line and sinker last year and was heartbroken by March. Not again. I will remain aprehensive until

they prove it is not just another hot October/November which has been a pattern for them.

Kovalev could not have been any worse than he was last year. Higgins was hurt most of the season.

Koivu was coming off major eye surgery. Aebischer was our backup "shudder"

The flu hit. Samsonov was a disaster. Huet fell apart in the second half and then got injured.

And the Habs missed the playoffs by 1 point. I unlike others was very optimistic about this season.

But they have still shown some kinks that are HUUUGE red flags from season's past. Reliance on the PP,

tendency to sit on and blow leads.

That being said. Everything seemed to go perfect for them early last year. They had numerous come from behind

victories where they were badly outshot. Souray scoring with half a second to go vs Buffalo for a win, Markov scoring with 1 second vs Boston for a win. Getting outshot 50-20 by the Leafs and stealing a point etc etc etc.

If the breaks came the Habs way like they did last season they could be in a lot better position than they are today.

Oct 3 at Carolina W 3-2 - They deserved that win and outworked and outshot the Canes

Oct 6 at Toronto OTL 3-4 - They deserved that win as well and blew a 3-1 lead

Oct 10 at Pittsburgh W 3-2 - Once again outworked/outshot the Pens in Price's debut

Oct 13 vs Carolina L 1-3 - Blown out but could have stolen a point the way Huet played

Oct 16 vs Florida OTL 1-2 - Dominated from beginning to end and gave up a point in the SO

Oct 18 at Ottawa L 3-4 - Did not deserve a point but were 6 minutes away from earning one

Oct 20 vs Buffalo W 4-2 - Full credit for a Sat night victory against the Sabres. Shots 27-27

Oct 22 vs Boston W 6-1 - First blowout of the season

Oct 26 at Carolina W 7-4 - Once again blew Carolina off the ice in the first period with their PP

Oct 27 at Pittsburgh W 4-3 - Almost blew a 3-0 lead but Price wins the Shootout

Oct 30 vs Atlanta OTL 2-3 - No showed an easy one and stole a point

Nov 1 vs Philadelphia W 5-2 - Once again dominant in blowing out and outshooting the Flyers

Nov 3 vs Toronto L 2-3 - Outshot the Leafs badly after a slow first. Only a bad game from Huet cost them 2

Nov 5 vs Buffalo W 2-0 - A tight checking game versus the Sabres that resulted in a hard earned 2 points.

Other than the Carolina game and the Atlanta game they were in position to win all of these. If they had held the Florida game, Huet brings his A game in both versus Toronto and Kostopoloous does not have that brutal give away versus Ottawa

this team could be sitting at 11-1-2. Coupled with the fact that they have not relied on late game heroics and Huet, That is what gives me hope entering November.

They have earned this record. But I still am aprehensive. ONE GAME AT A TIME :)

Edited by Wamsley01

But those are my feelings as of today. I am happy with the start, but it comes with the fear of letdown.

I bought in hook line and sinker last year and was heartbroken by March. Not again. I will remain aprehensive until

they prove it is not just another hot October/November which has been a pattern for them.

Kovalev could not have been any worse than he was last year. Higgins was hurt most of the season.

Koivu was coming off major eye surgery. Aebischer was our backup "shudder"

The flu hit. Samsonov was a disaster. Huet fell apart in the second half and then got injured.

And the Habs missed the playoffs by 1 point. I unlike others was very optimistic about this season.

But they have still shown some kinks that are HUUUGE red flags from season's past. Reliance on the PP,

tendency to sit on and blow leads.

That being said. Everything seemed to go perfect for them early last year. They had numerous come from behind

victories where they were badly outshot. Souray scoring with half a second to go vs Buffalo for a win, Markov scoring with 1 second vs Boston for a win. Getting outshot 50-20 by the Leafs and stealing a point etc etc etc.

If the breaks came the Habs way like they did last season they could be in a lot better position than they are today.

Oct 3 at Carolina W 3-2 - They deserved that win and outworked and outshot the Canes

Oct 6 at Toronto OTL 3-4 - They deserved that win as well and blew a 3-1 lead

Oct 10 at Pittsburgh W 3-2 - Once again outworked/outshot the Pens in Price's debut

Oct 13 vs Carolina L 1-3 - Blown out but could have stolen a point the way Huet played

Oct 16 vs Florida OTL 1-2 - Dominated from beginning to end and gave up a point in the SO

Oct 18 at Ottawa L 3-4 - Did not deserve a point but were 6 minutes away from earning one

Oct 20 vs Buffalo W 4-2 - Full credit for a Sat night victory against the Sabres. Shots 27-27

Oct 22 vs Boston W 6-1 - First blowout of the season

Oct 26 at Carolina W 7-4 - Once again blew Carolina off the ice in the first period with their PP

Oct 27 at Pittsburgh W 4-3 - Almost blew a 3-0 lead but Price wins the Shootout

Oct 30 vs Atlanta OTL 2-3 - No showed an easy one and stole a point

Nov 1 vs Philadelphia W 5-2 - Once again dominant in blowing out and outshooting the Flyers

Nov 3 vs Toronto L 2-3 - Outshot the Leafs badly after a slow first. Only a bad game from Huet cost them 2

Nov 5 vs Buffalo W 2-0 - A tight checking game versus the Sabres that resulted in a hard earned 2 points.

Other than the Carolina game and the Atlanta game they were in position to win all of these. If they had held the Florida game, Huet brings his A game in both versus Toronto and Kostopoloous does not have that brutal give away versus Ottawa

this team could be sitting at 11-1-2. Coupled with the fact that they have not relied on late game heroics and Huet, That is what gives me hope entering November.

They have earned this record. But I still am aprehensive. ONE GAME AT A TIME :)

I have pretty much analyzed the season the same way, though I think its arguable we deserved a point against OTT. Only a Kosto blunder cost us that. Don't even get me started on TO as I'm still fuming about that last loss.

I am very happy with the position and direction of the team, but I would say I am disappointed in Smolinski. I mean, it's not that I expected a whole lot from the guy, but he really is pretty invisible out there. I think his only 2 goals are empty netters. Not to cause a stink, but I cant help but notice Mike Ribeiro has 16 points AND is a plus 6. I know must of us think he is a whiner pansy, but part of me feels that we wasted a homegrown talent a little bit. I gotta think we'd be a better team with him than Slowinski.

I am ecstatic with Hamrlik and Koivu.

I am not displeased but not happy with Latendresse, Grabovski and Carbo's defensive shell in the third when we have the lead (like last night).

I am happy with everyone else. Special mention to Gorges who has played great. If Higgins ever starts getting some bounces, watch out.

It's been good so far, but I'm not going to be celebrating just yet. Later on, who knows?

Hamrlik's been good - I'll be the first to admit that I dreaded what his performance would be when he signed, but he's done really well.

It says something if even Brisebois has done a good job on the ice.

But sorry guys, Gorges hasn't shown much. Everyone hates on the Cube and Dandenault and wants to trade them, but Gorges is worse than either, lacks experience and probably won't be much better of a player than he is now.

Captain K has been unbelievable, even Kovalev has done well. But man, Ryder and Kostitsyn have been underwhelming.

Edited by smon