Are you happy or unhappy with...

Nilan25

I have pretty much analyzed the season the same way, though I think its arguable we deserved a point against OTT. Only a Kosto blunder cost us that. Don't even get me started on TO as I'm still fuming about that last loss.

I am very happy with the position and direction of the team, but I would say I am disappointed in Smolinski. I mean, it's not that I expected a whole lot from the guy, but he really is pretty invisible out there. I think his only 2 goals are empty netters. Not to cause a stink, but I cant help but notice Mike Ribeiro has 16 points AND is a plus 6. I know must of us think he is a whiner pansy, but part of me feels that we wasted a homegrown talent a little bit. I gotta think we'd be a better team with him than Slowinski.

But that is what I am talking about. This is not Fantasy Hockey.

How many goals did Mike McPhee get every year? Brian Skrudland?

Ryan Walter was the 3rd line center on the 1986 champions.

In 1993 the Habs had only 4 players over 80 points. Four 30 goal scorers and only one other over 20.

As of today Higgins is on pace for 35, Kovalev for 41, and 3 players are on a 20 goal pace.

This team is not going to win with offense. Look how it is structured.

Gainey/Muller/Jarvis/Carbonneau are the coaches/manager.

They have an All-Star goalie in Huet and a potential All-Star in Price as the backup.

They spent essentially all of their free agent money on players who fit a defensive system.

This team does not want players that won't buy into the team concept. Ribiero did not have a sterling reputation as a team guy and was traded. He was identified as a guy they did not want to build around and was traded. Does anybody here believe that on a defensive team like Dallas that Ribeiro is going to get 120 points?

I don't think you will find many guys on here complaining about Smolinski. They guy has shuffled from line to line and has worked his ass of every night. That is the type of player that has been missing for years.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you will find many guys on here complaining about Smolinski. They guy has shuffled from line to line and has worked his ass of every night. That is the type of player that has been missing for years.

I agree that smoke needs some slack. The guy has been in almost every forward line and position. He may not score much but he plays 100% and doesn't complain. I really like him.

last year everyone was on ryder for not being able to play a all round game, so this year he improves on that, but his scoreing as gone down, his not going to score 30 goals every year, most players dont, if he get 20 goal a season i be more then happy..Kovalev is one of the most talented players and he cant score 30..i think some people want to run ryder out of town and they wont be happy till he gone, would nt ge the first time we lost a good play because of fans and media...

i pretty much happy with everyones play over all... Latendresse should not be on the second line, his not fitting in with kovalev and i thing he should be moved to a new line..i like to see ryder on the second line with kovalev and Plekanec, i think they could set ryder up more in the slot...huet been playing great..

GO HABS GO

What we want of Ryder is for him to score 30 goals AND improve his allround game. If he's only going to score 20 while being only marginally better in other areas then we may as well get him off our top line and use him as supplementary scoring from a checking line. Gui, Kostitsyn and Kovalev would be happy to have his spot with Higgins and Koivu.

last year everyone was on ryder for not being able to play a all round game, so this year he improves on that, but his scoreing as gone down, his not going to score 30 goals every year, most players dont, if he get 20 goal a season i be more then happy..Kovalev is one of the most talented players and he cant score 30..i think some people want to run ryder out of town and they wont be happy till he gone, would nt ge the first time we lost a good play because of fans and media...

i pretty much happy with everyones play over all... Latendresse should not be on the second line, his not fitting in with kovalev and i thing he should be moved to a new line..i like to see ryder on the second line with kovalev and Plekanec, i think they could set ryder up more in the slot...huet been playing great..

GO HABS GO

I agree that people have played both sides with Ryder. But when you have Smolinski, Kostopolous, Chipchura, Begin etc etc you can live with Ryder's defensive shortcomings. He needs to score. If he does not score he will not be playing on the defensive shut down line. He becomes essentially useless.

I don't like Ryder because he has a tendency to disappear for long stretches.

Last year he had 6 goals in his first 25 games, 16 after 60 games, then scored 14 in his last 22.

So I don't understand why people are ripping him. This is what he does. If he scores 4 in his next 10 he will be on the same pace as last season. He is a streaky scorer. Always has been, even back to his rookie year.

But that is what I am talking about. This is not Fantasy Hockey.

How many goals did Mike McPhee get every year? Brian Skrudland?

Ryan Walter was the 3rd line center on the 1986 champions.

In 1993 the Habs had only 4 players over 80 points. Four 30 goal scorers and only one other over 20.

As of today Higgins is on pace for 35, Kovalev for 41, and 3 players are on a 20 goal pace.

This team is not going to win with offense. Look how it is structured.

Gainey/Muller/Jarvis/Carbonneau are the coaches/manager.

They have an All-Star goalie in Huet and a potential All-Star in Price as the backup.

They spent essentially all of their free agent money on players who fit a defensive system.

This team does not want players that won't buy into the team concept. Ribiero did not have a sterling reputation as a team guy and was traded. He was identified as a guy they did not want to build around and was traded. Does anybody here believe that on a defensive team like Dallas that Ribeiro is going to get 120 points?

I agree with a team concept, etc. But that doesnt really change my opinion about Smoke so far. I really dont see what he contributes at all. He works hard, sure but he's slow and doesnt score or set up goals. Responsible defensively I guess. Whether is Ribeiro or someone else who could be in his place, I think we could do better. He was signed because there wasnt much out there at the time, and he was the best option.

I suppose some will say he brings leadership on and off the ice, but really we should have enough of that through coaching and vets. This is a thread about who we're unhappy with, and I'm very happy with most of the team. While I\m not terribly unhappy with Smolinski, I dont think he brings anything to the table (at least thus far).

I guess I am the only one who is not unhappy with Grabovski. He is a little worker. He is as fast as hell and never gives up on plays. He isn't getting any points, but with his work ethic, I can't complain. The problem is that he is a centreman. We have so much depth at centre, it is ridiculous.

That's why Lapierre isn't on the team yet. IMO. I know he did not have a good camp, but I think this team needs to get some of these centres practicing the left wing position. I don't think the fact that we have all these centres is a mistake though. Centres always haver to backcheck harder and read plays more carefully. Having natural centres playin the wings on the 3rd and 4th lines could add the team's defensive responsibility.

I predicted Habs will not make the playoffs as they are an average team. Well my left foot is in my mouth as they have proven to me that they will use their speed for victories. And they are a good team.

Montreals top 3 D are playing very well. Even the rest of the "D" is getting results. Ryder has to be on a scoring line to produce. If he is going to be on a checking line he will be on his boyhood favorite Laughs next year. Ryder is doing a great job checking and getting chances, he just cannot burry the puck.

Koivu is the model person for HEART. Never takes a play off and leads by example.

I give the Habs an overall grade of A as they only screwed up against the leafs with dumb dumb plays that cost games. Both losses were close games and not the playoffs, so Leafs can gloat all they want.

Hopefully Habs can keep this up as they have a great record and have surprised me.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I agree with a team concept, etc. But that doesnt really change my opinion about Smoke so far. I really dont see what he contributes at all. He works hard, sure but he's slow and doesnt score or set up goals. Responsible defensively I guess. Whether is Ribeiro or someone else who could be in his place, I think we could do better. He was signed because there wasnt much out there at the time, and he was the best option.

I suppose some will say he brings leadership on and off the ice, but really we should have enough of that through coaching and vets. This is a thread about who we're unhappy with, and I'm very happy with most of the team. While I\m not terribly unhappy with Smolinski, I dont think he brings anything to the table (at least thus far).

It is a thread about who you are happy or unhappy about. My response was based around Smoke and how he does not need to produce offensively to contribute. Not a player who is now working on his second season with another team.

You are entitled to be happy or disappointed in whoever you like.

As far as him being all that was left, well it is better to sign a proven veteran who will assimilate your system to a low one year contract then to throw a ton of money at Samsonov who does not fit your system in any way.

Edited by Wamsley01

I'm surprised by how well the PP is doing so far. I didn't expect the huge fall-off that many predicted when Souray wasn't resigned. I would have been very happy with a powerplay in the top ten. Top of the league, scoring above 30% of the time? I didn't see it.

Even though they don't seem to be scoring as much 5-on-5, I think their play this year is better than last year. It seems like they're creating more chances and skating with teams on a more regular basis. That's about all I can ask for, the improved goal production will hopefully come down the line.

I expected a little more from the PK unit. I think the loss of Mike Johnson hurts more than Radek Bonk, but I believe that the guys they have will improve as the season goes on.

My MVP for the first month is Roman Hamrlik. His signing was roundly dismissed as a late-date desperation move by Bob, and I didn't have huge expectation for him myself. As long as he didn't cough up the puck with regularity and helped out a little on the powerplay a bit, I figured it would be a decent move. His physical presence has been much needed, and I think it's been a boost to the other 5 guys on the blueline. He's allowed Markov to shift to the number one spot without being overplayed. I think he's been a reason why Streit was moved back to the blueline, and he's playing better there than he did up front last year.

I think we'll see a change up front within the next couple of weeks. I think we'll see Lapierre back in Montreal and probably see Grabovski sent down. Chipchura could see more time on the PK unit, and he's slipped into a checking role very smoothly. I think you'll see his ice team increase either through a promotion or as Carbonneau uses him more regularly and uses the third line as more of a swing line.

Happy with the results with an intriguing turn of play in the last four games, Philly game excluded.

Other team will start doing what Atlanta did and we will be outshot if things continue the way they

are going.

I am certainly not happy with Smolinski, but that's just me i guess.

I am not conviced Streut can play more than 55 games without wearing down.

I am not convinced that Huet can be a performer under pressure and play more than 50 game, that is not a real number 1.

I am not convince what Grabovski is doing here ? why Lapierre still in Hmilton, why Kots and LKats cannot shoot the damn puck.

Why Ryder is still having chances games after games on the first line?

So many questions so many games still to watch.

What we want of Ryder is for him to score 30 goals AND improve his allround game. If he's only going to score 20 while being only marginally better in other areas then we may as well get him off our top line and use him as supplementary scoring from a checking line. Gui, Kostitsyn and Kovalev would be happy to have his spot with Higgins and Koivu.

you want to replace ryder with gui, that not even a up grade...gui well never score 30 in the nhl unless they do make the nets bigger lol. gui skates worst then ryder and dont even come close to his shot.. ryder is still on the same pace as he was last year this time, but with a better +/-....

Happy with the results with an intriguing turn of play in the last four games, Philly game excluded.

Other team will start doing what Atlanta did and we will be outshot if things continue the way they

are going.

I am certainly not happy with Smolinski, but that's just me i guess.

I am not conviced Streut can play more than 55 games without wearing down.

I am not convinced that Huet can be a performer under pressure and play more than 50 game, that is not a real number 1.

I am not convince what Grabovski is doing here ? why Lapierre still in Hmilton, why Kots and LKats cannot shoot the damn puck.

Why Ryder is still having chances games after games on the first line?

So many questions so many games still to watch.

You are not the only one unhappy with Smoke's performance. I want him to get better, but not optimistic. Hard to complain too much with our record, but I agree this is one area where we could be better.

It is a thread about who you are happy or unhappy about. My response was based around Smoke and how he does not need to produce offensively to contribute. Not a player who is now working on his second season with another team.

You are entitled to be happy or disappointed in whoever you like.

As far as him being all that was left, well it is better to sign a proven veteran who will assimilate your system to a low one year contract then to throw a ton of money at Samsonov who does not fit your system in any way.

Well I guess your expectations for the 3rd line center on this team are different than mine. I said nothing about throwing money at a guy like Samsonov. But maybe a guy like Lapierre could be brought up. He would probably have more spark than Slowinski and is just as responsible.

I am happy with the team as a whole for sure.

Smoke I find him very soft and making too many mental errors for a vet but I am sure he will come around.

I wish Ryder would start scoring but other than that not many negatives.

Well I guess your expectations for the 3rd line center on this team are different than mine. I said nothing about throwing money at a guy like Samsonov. But maybe a guy like Lapierre could be brought up. He would probably have more spark than Slowinski and is just as responsible.

What exactly are your expectations of a 3rd line center?

Smolinski was brought in for insurance in case Chips, Lapierre couldn't get the job done. He was brought in for minimal cost and a 1 year commitment. It was a smart signing. If he is not bringing it like you want that is your opinion. I like his flexibilty, I expect him to chip in an occasional big goal. He has been solid if unspectacular.

If Lapierre is such a slam dunk why did he not make the team after the Habs included him in their marketing campaign?

Using 20/20 hindsight to wonder why they gave up Ribiero is a horse that has been beaten to death on this board. He's gone. Smoke is not.

Are your expectation that a 3rd line center should score?

If so the third line center on the defending cup champs has 3 points. How did that work out for them last season?

The Leafs have 4 Centers with 10 pts or more. How is their record?

The Senators 3rd center has 6 points. How is that working for them?

In the CAP era three scoring centers are rare. Smolinski is a solid veteran who plays a strong 2 way game, cheap and only on a one year contract. If that is your only complaint the Habs are doing well.

you want to replace ryder with gui, that not even a up grade...gui well never score 30 in the nhl unless they do make the nets bigger lol. gui skates worst then ryder and dont even come close to his shot.. ryder is still on the same pace as he was last year this time, but with a better +/-....

:rolleyes:

Grabs is here because he is working hard and Lapierre did not in camp. I said before it's about how well all of these centres that we have play the wing. Lapierre will not be in the minors long, but when he comes up, don't expect him to push out Smoke or Chipchura in centre. He will have to adjust to the wing. (Same as Grabs is doing now) and I expect you will see the same production as Grabs.

Noter on Smolinski: I liked Bonk better in his role. Bonk and Johnson were a good shutdown line. Smolinski has more upsides than Bonk. Work ethic for sure, but you have to admit that Bonk was a hell of a checking line centre. Dandy is way better as a checking winger than Johnson was though.

What exactly are your expectations of a 3rd line center?

Smolinski was brought in for insurance in case Chips, Lapierre couldn't get the job done. He was brought in for minimal cost and a 1 year commitment. It was a smart signing. If he is not bringing it like you want that is your opinion. I like his flexibilty, I expect him to chip in an occasional big goal. He has been solid if unspectacular.

If Lapierre is such a slam dunk why did he not make the team after the Habs included him in their marketing campaign?

Using 20/20 hindsight to wonder why they gave up Ribiero is a horse that has been beaten to death on this board. He's gone. Smoke is not.

Are your expectation that a 3rd line center should score?

If so the third line center on the defending cup champs has 3 points. How did that work out for them last season?

The Leafs have 4 Centers with 10 pts or more. How is their record?

The Senators 3rd center has 6 points. How is that working for them?

In the CAP era three scoring centers are rare. Smolinski is a solid veteran who plays a strong 2 way game, cheap and only on a one year contract. If that is your only complaint the Habs are doing well.

I'm not gonna argue this one back and forth forever. You are happy with Smolinski's play....I was hoping for better. Yes I am happy with the team overall, but think Smolinski is (so far) disappointing.

I'm not gonna argue this one back and forth forever. You are happy with Smolinski's play....I was hoping for better. Yes I am happy with the team overall, but think Smolinski is (so far) disappointing.

I am not looking for an argument. I am just looking for what your expectations are for a 3rd line center.

You said we must be looking for something different. You are entitled to be disappointed, I just want to know why.

Is he soft on the puck? Poor defensive zone coverage? Lack of scoring?

I assumed you are disappointed in his lack of production because you used Ribeiro as an example.

I am not looking for an argument. I am just looking for what your expectations are for a 3rd line center.

You said we must be looking for something different. You are entitled to be disappointed, I just want to know why.

Is he soft on the puck? Poor defensive zone coverage? Lack of scoring?

I assumed you are disappointed in his lack of production because you used Ribeiro as an example.

Well, yes production is a big part of it. I expected him to look a bit more offensive and get some chances if nothing else, but I havent even seen that. He has averaged 18-20 goals even with Vancouver. He's on pace for 11 now and I'm pretty sure his 2 goals were empty netters.

As for the other side of the puck, he's a -1 on a good team. So I hope he's at least resonsible for some leadership, guidance, etc. He's not doing too much on the ice, IMO. As for working hard, sure he does, but I think most are this year....and so would some guys from Hamilton.

I'd ask why you are happy with a career low pace from him and a -1 defensively?

Well, yes production is a big part of it. I expected him to look a bit more offensive and get some chances if nothing else, but I havent even seen that. He has averaged 18-20 goals even with Vancouver. He's on pace for 11 now and I'm pretty sure his 2 goals were empty netters.

As for the other side of the puck, he's a -1 on a good team. So I hope he's at least resonsible for some leadership, guidance, etc. He's not doing too much on the ice, IMO. As for working hard, sure he does, but I think most are this year....and so would some guys from Hamilton.

I'd ask why you are happy with a career low pace from him and a -1 defensively?

I don't get to excited about yearly paces after 15 games. After 15 games last year Smolinski had 4 goals.

The year before he had 3, 4 before that, 3 the year before that. His +/- is very similar. Take a look at his Yahoo game logs.

He is playing to what I expected, maybe others expected more.

As far as the +/- is concerned nobody is concerned with Pleks or Streit and they are a team low -4 and -3.

But that is all I was looking for :)