• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...0b7&k=26021

Ryder takes rocky road to third line

By PAT HICKEY

He is a patient man, but it appears Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau has run out of patience with struggling forward Michael Ryder.

When the Canadiens convened for practice in Verdun yesterday, Tom Kostopoulos took Ryder's right-wing spot on the No. 1 line with Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins. The top line has gone four games without a goal.

Ryder, a 30-goal scorer in each of the past two seasons, was demoted to the third line with Bryan Smolinski and Steve Bégin.

While Carbonneau wasn't available to explain his latest juggling act, Ryder said he understood what the coach was trying to do.

"He's looking to change things up, getting some scoring from different lines, probably trying to get me going," said Ryder, who has only two goals in 17 games.

"Maybe change is good, just to switch things up and we'll see how it goes. You never know. Sometimes you change things up and you play a little different. (Smolinski and Bégin) are two different players from Saks and Higgy."

Ryder said it has been frustrating not to put points on the board. He said he came into the season determined to play better on defence - he had a minus-25 rating last season and is minus-1 so far this season - and he has to concentrate more on "putting the puck on the net."

"Basically, the coaches have told me to shoot the puck more and that's what I'm going to have to do to get out of this," Ryder said.

He has 37 shots on goal - only Higgins (62) and Tomas Plekanec (43) have more for the Canadiens - but his shot selection has left something to be desired. Against Ottawa Saturday, he led a two-on-one break and, instead of shooting off the rush or passing, he tried to deke the goaltender and ended up taking a weak backhander.

"That's a situation where he has to shoot the puck," Carbonneau said after the game.

"There have been times when you have a shot and you do something else, but I have to start thinking about shooting," Ryder said.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2007

tx.ryder.jpg

4-2 montreal !!

I don't know who'll score but how about one each for ryder and guillaume?? would be a great confidance booster.

hope that kostitsyn keeps the good streak goin'

Good to see Carbo trying something else with Ryder. Maybe he will mesh with Smokes and that will get him going. Think i'd rather see Dandy with the first line and Kostopolo stay on the 4th.

And where in the heck is Gorges. With Bouillon only playing 2 minutes in the 3rd the other nite, was hoping Gorges would replace him tomorrow nite. Still hoping. Get the Cube in the pressbox.

I'm really glad Ryder's being tried on the third, but I'm not so excited about Kosto on the first. I hope it works out and they keep it simple. Maybe he'll just stand in front of the net and be able to smash home rebounds, and I know he earned it with his effort, but I"m not sure about his talent being suitable for that line. Hopefully if it doesn't work, it's a shortlived experiment. I'd put Lats there; he did it last year and did it well when higgy was injured, and it might get him jumpstarted at the same time as getting ryder jumpstarted.... even if he doesn't deserve it, he could work there... well, I'll wait and see how it pans out.

I'd try chips there in a sec if he wasn't so valuable to the first line.

no biggie, but the game thread starter should probably say "Streit" instead of "Striet"

Players are often placed out of position in that line-up (e.g. Hamrlik and Brisebois). It's no big deal.

Anyways, I'm hoping for a Habs win but I feel like the Sabres are going to beat us soon. We play them 3 times within a month though so there's probably no helping that fact.

Despite their position in the standings, I don't expect the Sabres to roll over and die. It will be another important test to see how well we can do with the back-to-back games. That being said, Miller played on Thursday, so there's a slight chance we'll see a Buffalo backup tonight.

GO HABS GO!!!

no biggie, but the game thread starter should probably say "Streit" instead of "Striet"

Players are often placed out of position in that line-up (e.g. Hamrlik and Brisebois). It's no big deal.

Anyways, I'm hoping for a Habs win but I feel like the Sabres are going to beat us soon. We play them 3 times within a month though so there's probably no helping that fact.

:huh:

I love the fact that nobody is into Kosto on the 1st. Usually the most unpredictable situation or player comes out and surprises. It's usually the complete opposite of what we are thinking or yearning for.

GO KOSTO GO!!!!!!!!!!

You all had Lahti pencilled in on the first line, You had Brule as our fifth pick, Huet was just a thrown in with Bonk,

Who knows we all might get a real shocker and Koivu might scrap again!!!!!!! WOoooooooooHOooooooooooooo!!!!!!

GO KOSTO GO!!!!!!!!

Seeing as Buffalo played last night in Ottawa(and had to travel during the night) I expect our boys to dominate midway through teh second and the third period as well. The Sabres will be a tired bunch.

Also, i don'T know if they will send Miller in for back to back games...maybe we'll see the back up.

AS far as the Kostopoulos on the first line..i believe Tom will play 1 maybe 2 periods with Saku and Chris, then he,ll go back to his 4th line and Ryder will be moved back up!

I also hope to see Ryder and Latendresse break their dry spell! It would be a great boost in confidence for both players, and would help reduce some of the tension in the dressing room!

I love the fact that nobody is into Kosto on the 1st. Usually the most unpredictable situation or player comes out and surprises. It's usually the complete opposite of what we are thinking or yearning for.

GO KOSTO GO!!!!!!!!!!

You all had Lahti pencilled in on the first line, You had Brule as our fifth pick, Huet was just a thrown in with Bonk,

Who knows we all might get a real shocker and Koivu might scrap again!!!!!!! WOoooooooooHOooooooooooooo!!!!!!

GO KOSTO GO!!!!!!!!

You are quite right on this, logic doesn't always apply in hockey.

Lahti was a logical tryout on a top line coming off a career year in Finland, great playoffs there, good body 6.2 being

sold by scouts as a tenacious player that can rack up points. So far, not good 6 points in 13 games with Hamilton.

But hey we never know he can burst out in the second half, adapting his.

Brule ? I don't know why he doesn't produce, he has all the skills. Mystery.

If Kosto comes out as a first liner ?? Can say never he did rack up in AHL 71 points in 64 games in 2004-2005 and +30. :blink:

Dont be afraid, Kovalev will score 2 and set up Pleks for another one. Then Ryder will finally score the fourth goal and Higgins the 5th. Huet will yawn at an average of 5 shots/period and will let in a bad one at the end from Campbell.

Dont be afraid, Kovalev will score 2 and set up Pleks for another one. Then Ryder will finally score the fourth goal and Higgins the 5th. Huet will yawn at an average of 5 shots/period and will let in a bad one at the end from Campbell.

I second that thought !