Time for an enforcer

Sledneck

Skate up and get in his face, say something like "hey, mofo!" then, left hand grabs the sweater just above the team crest, grabs it tightly and holds on tight, then right hand pounds in a few tight hooks and crosses.

Hockey fighting is not rocket science .. .

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now anyway.

O'Byrne isn't a career minor leaguer though. He could bring alot to this team and it doesn't include being the enforcer for the team.

I don't think we need one at all. Komisarek, Kostopoulos and O'Byrne (if they can ever dump Francis "mini-me" Bouillion) can all do the job without dropping the gloves; they just have to play tough and physical on every shift. Players know who the tough guys are and they don't push it....we just retired the number of the all time best at it.

works for me... and i agree that he's gonna be a good player (o'byrne, that is), I just doubt he'll ever be as valuable to us as komi is...

I don't want Komi fighting. If he fights some 2 minute a game goon on the other team, and they're both off for 5 or for the rest of the game, we've just lost one of our top 3.

I agree that Komi should not be fighting every game or even once a week, but i have no problems if Komi were to drop the gloves 4 or 5 times a year. And when O'byrne makes it to Montreal, he could also drop the gloves 8 or 9 times a year. Then you could have Kostopoulos droping them 15 - 20 times a year and you'd have a decent "fighting squad".

At the same time, you might as well give Guillaume a few pointers on how to defend himself properly and he could drop them 3-4 times a year and we'd have a respectable team.

Very true - Komisarek has really grown into a fantastic defensive player - one of the league leaders in blocked shots I believe.

not to mention one of the league leaders in bodychecks!

I agree that Komi should not be fighting every game or even once a week, but i have no problems if Komi were to drop the gloves 4 or 5 times a year. And when O'byrne makes it to Montreal, he could also drop the gloves 8 or 9 times a year. Then you could have Kostopoulos droping them 15 - 20 times a year and you'd have a decent "fighting squad".

At the same time, you might as well give Guillaume a few pointers on how to defend himself properly and he could drop them 3-4 times a year and we'd have a respectable team.

not to mention one of the league leaders in bodychecks!

Tenderness can fight all he wants.....after we trade him.

The question is do we need an enforcer, O'byrne is NOT an enforcer and he is

developping in a hard hitting, better positionning defense. He still has to work a bit

on his stick handling.

Bring him up to fight or defend teammates would screw his head up. One thing at

a time, if he get's the call up it will not to be a goon but to put some weight on a small defense. That would be very good indeed.

Bouillon played good lately, Pens are in trouble. i see an opening there for both teams.

We get big Georges Laraque for Bouillon, Therrien always liked Bouillo since he was in juniors.

The question is do we need an enforcer, O'byrne is NOT an enforcer and he is

developping in a hard hitting, better positionning defense. He still has to work a bit

on his stick handling.

Bring him up to fight or defend teammates would screw his head up. One thing at

a time, if he get's the call up it will not to be a goon but to put some weight on a small defense. That would be very good indeed.

Bouillon played good lately, Pens are in trouble. i see an opening there for both teams.

We get big Georges Laraque for Bouillon, Therrien always liked Bouillo since he was in juniors.

laraque is crosby's police man. They're not gonna trade him.

:hlogo: The best tough guy available that can also play a little is Francis Lessard, he used to be a D-man but has been moved to wing. The Bulldogs just played Hartford and the guy was first star of the game. Send Milroy & J. Gleed to New York for Lessard & P. Parenteau. Lessard stays with the Habs & Parenteau replaces Milroy in Hamilton. Milroy may even join the Rangers.

I remember this guy, he was JP Dumont enforcer/protector with Val d'Or.LHJMQ.

Sure he can fight but isn't he kind of another Sylvain Blouin ?? A not mobile D that went up to front.

Laraque is not playing in Pittsburg, though he is often hurt he didn't play half the games and more so often

healthy scratch.

When one of our key guy will get hurt after a heavy body check or elbow in the face Carbo will cry baby

but he and Bob will have only themselves to blame. There is a vacant spot in the team, come on Bob do something.

I would rather have a tough team then a bunch of pansies and an enforcer to protect them.

The team has to stand up for themselves if they want to get some respect. Komi, Lats, Begin, Hammer, etc can all stand up for themselves.

Remember last year when Kovalev took care of Tucker? He didn't need an enforcer and the message was delivered load and clear.

I would rather have a tough team then a bunch of pansies and an enforcer to protect them.

The team has to stand up for themselves if they want to get some respect. Komi, Lats, Begin, Hammer, etc can all stand up for themselves.

Remember last year when Kovalev took care of Tucker? He didn't need an enforcer and the message was delivered load and clear.

It was two years ago and yeah I loved that I think we all did.

Kovalev has always taken care of himself though.

It was two years ago and yeah I loved that I think we all did.

Kovalev has always taken care of himself though.

kovy's a big boy, he can handle it.

if we are going to have an enforcer, he has to be able to play too. i'd rather have a neil than a McGrattan.

we also could use a physical defenseman on the bottom pairing. bouillon doesn't do it for me this year.

kovy's a big boy, he can handle it.

if we are going to have an enforcer, he has to be able to play too. i'd rather have a neil than a McGrattan.

we also could use a physical defenseman on the bottom pairing. bouillon doesn't do it for me this year.

Totally agree... an enforcer just to "enforce" who can't play, no thanks. If he can fight and play, fine, but in case ppl haven't noticed, there's very few of them, and getting them's not that easy. I think we have more pressing needs...

Boone has a lot to say about the enforcer issue on habsinsideout.com... He thinks Carbo's more "evolved" (yeah, he actually used the word evolved) than all the coaches who keep sending their goons out when we've locked up the game...

Goons are a function of the '70s and the rapid dilution of talent that was seen then through not just NHL expansion, but the popularity of minor leagues, as well as the creation of the WHA, which was very comparable to the NHL in talent level. So many new jobs allowed pure goons onto teams at the game's highest levels.

There are less goons now then there were 10 years ago, and there were less goons 10 years ago than 20 years ago. The game is recovering it's talent level. The main reason teams still employ goons is for psychological purposes more than practical results. They make players think they're better protected. They really aren't. It's a placebo, or a good luck charm. Players are more at risk because of these guys lumbering around rinks.

A NHL player should be able to compete and think the game at a NHL level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Imagine a 4th line of Tom K-Lapierre-Georges Laraque.

Who wouldn't pay to see that?

Laraque snubed montreal a few years ago saying that he'd rather retire than play here. if he ever plays for montreal, he'll have ALOT to prove me he really wants to play here.

under 1M a year, I'd take a chance.

however, an enforcer wont change much since the team is being outmuscled every game.

Laraque snubed montreal a few years ago saying that he'd rather retire than play here. if he ever plays for montreal, he'll have ALOT to prove me he really wants to play here.

under 1M a year, I'd take a chance.

however, an enforcer wont change much since the team is being outmuscled every game.

Exactly my point!!!

:puke:

An enforcer will not help this team and where we are at this point...............We need help with our overall game plan and we need guys skating hard PERIOD.

[for about the 5th time!] We don't need an enforcer..................

:puke:

An enforcer will not help this team and where we are at this point...............We need help with our overall game plan and we need guys skating hard PERIOD.

[for about the 5th time!] We don't need an enforcer..................

There is not a team in the league without some tough guys! Except the Habs.

You think an enforcer will help the Habs? How?

Seriously explain it to me (and probably a few others would like to know too) how picking up a meathead will score us more goals and give up fewer goals. And make these guys play harder, cause I don't understand your thinking......

You think an enforcer will help the Habs? How?

Seriously explain it to me (and probably a few others would like to know too) how picking up a meathead will score us more goals and give up fewer goals. And make these guys play harder, cause I don't understand your thinking......

They are undersized and lack passion. Do you think all the other GM's and coaches are wrong? A lot of times a tough player can make players throw 6 inches and instil a team ethic. Even with the new rules this league has not changed that much. This team is pushed around starting with number 11 which frankly I am tired of seeing. The grit of Murray, Rivet and Souray has not been replaced.