Time for an enforcer

Sledneck

Most successful teams have an enforcer, some with more hockey skill than others. Sometimes you just need a guy who can pump up the team by winning a fight. Sure, Komi and Kosto stand up for their teammates, but they aren't fighters. You don't need one every game, but the enforcer still has a role in the NHL. Just ask Detroit and Aaron Downey.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enforcer's are one dimensional, how about a scorer that can hit?

I'd like that over a guy who just skates on the ice, has no offencive skills and no defencive skills.

We don't need a player like that. We need a player that is not afraid to go after people and be a pain in the ass to the other team while being a solid scorer.

Don't we already have this thread (or like, 10 of them!)

Just suggesting, but if you want to talk about the team needing an enforcer, how about going and finding the last enforcer thread and just adding a reply to it. You'd get it bumped to the top of discussion again. Right now, every few weeks we get a new enforcer thread and it's getting silly. It's like starting a new "this team needs a dominant first line centre" thread every few weeks. It's on everyone's mind, but we don't need 10 different threads on it.

Now, about Downey, when he was here, he wasn't a good enough enforcer, so I'm not sure he really would help. But as I said in the other enforcer thread (not to belabour the point that there is already another enforcer thread) unless this is a guy who can play reasonably well, a la Chris Neil, I don't want a goon just for the heck of it. I don't think it'll fix the rest of our problems, and I think we have much more pressing needs than that. I agree we need to get bigger and grittier, but specifically have a goon? Not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night they played the wide open high scoring game that we all have been missing. We got a very comfortable lead, lost a fight and then got bullied a bit. Nothing major but I do worry again about the team not being able to bring this spirit to the ice every night when every team in the league knows we are vunerable in the physical department. Oh we have some big strong guys, but no fighters. We know it and so does everyone else. This isn't the best for moral. One guy, shorten the bench for him. Team freewheels, gets lead, keeps coming at opposition, things get ugly, goon gets some ice time. It has been going on for ever. Why are we so against it? It has been done for a reason, so the talented players don't feel threatened just because they can't fight. I don't want our young talent wasting practices learning to spar on skates. Let them be talent and get them a protector.

Just give him Ryders spot on the bench.

Split the ice time among the deserving.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

F'n right, JHsB.

The game has evolved into what it is over scores of years. A couple of weasel-f**k Buttman leagle-beagle seasons are not going to erase the basic mindset of players, IMO.

Carlton Orr, a thug, clips that Canes plonk with an elbow, then kicks the crap out of Commodore. He gets kicked out, but lets a pall come over the Canes bench - this team is not to be f'd with. Maybe not the best example, but who 'runs' anyone on the Wolves with Boogard sitting there and watching?

Unless you are the Wings with superlative talent everywhere, bring on a tough guy. Seriously, this team has had no respect whatsoever since Nilan. Non-goon guys want to come off as purists, but unless you have incredible talent at every position that is clearly better than any team in the league - a situation that has happened once, possibly twice (late 70's Habs; early 80's Oil, but they had Semenko / McSorley), you'll always need a Ferguson to make sure the opponent is measured in the amount of respect they give you. These guys have a limited, accepted role, don't take ice time away from star players, and contribute in their way.

Yep, i for one am tired of watching the habs "goon" get rag dolled in every fight. Roy last night was picking on all the 20 year olds and know one but Gorges stands up? They need a goon babdy.

They do get pushed around often but we already have way too many players on our roster - there is no sense sending down Kostitsyn/Lapierre so that we can carry a goon.

I don't think a GOON will win us a game............. But they could LOSE us one; by taking a stupid penalty while "sticking up" for a teammate

Since we all know the refs keep their eyes open for ANY teams goons when their on the ice.

Trust me when I say that there is no one who wants a goon more than I do. The Habs NEED a physical presence. The smaller guys on the team(all 17 of them...except Komi and a few others) would play with more balls if they had a guy there to back them up. Kostopolous looked like a drunk guy scrapping last night. Gorges.....let's just say that his face will be battered alot more if he keeps that up. Kudo's for trying but fighting and losing can be alot worse than not fighting at all. If we get a goon, he must be someone who doesn't lose every fight. Jimmy Bonneau says he can do the job....but can he play hockey? Boogaard is on everyone's dream list. I say we go get the NEXT BoogeyMan. Find some killer playing in some obscure league(Summum Chiefs), sign him to a 2-way contract and hope he can do 1 of 2 things...inflict PAIN or FEAR

I'm really undecided on this issue.

I'm aware that Hockey is a rough sport and that it involves contact and aggressiveness, But do you really need to fight back? I like the term "take it like a bitch" ^_^

THE IDEA

We really dont need and enforcer if we just played hockey. Some guy delivers a dirty hit, dont drop the gloves just crush him later in the game. Someone tries to pick a fight, just skate away. Instead of filling cap space with a goon thats gonna play 2-4 shifts a night and produce about 1-3 goals the entire season is not to bright sounding. We should use that room to fill up with someone more valuable, save some cash. Just take the pain and deliver it later in the game with a legal hit. In my opinon, goons are detrimental to the team.

I'm really not sure how it is to be on the ice in the NHL, if you can just skate away or if someone challenges you have to drop, but i seriously doubt the latter. But seriously who cares what other teams call the team, who cares if they call our player pussy, the league would begin to see a pattern that if you mess with us, (snow the goalie, dirty hit... etc.) that your gonna pay for it latter in the game by getting rocked. I know in the league that i play in you can just skate away from a fight, people will call you a pussy and much more but fighting gets the team in the dirt most cases.

Disclaimer: I love the physical aspect of hockey, the bench clears and such, The good ol' days where guys used to pound each other for fun, but if you want to win, i think my idea is right on. When the other teams are filling bench space with a goon, we can fill it with a decent sniper, playmaker, some one who can deliver bone crunching hits, etc....

I'm really undecided on this issue.

I'm aware that Hockey is a rough sport and that it involves contact and aggressiveness, But do you really need to fight back? I like the term "take it like a bitch" ^_^

Didn't I use to run you up the flag pole by your shorts in high school?

Hockey isn't for "pussys" nor is football.

We have soccer and baseball for them and the weak stomached fans that like to watch them play with balls.

Disclaimer: I love the physical aspect of hockey, the bench clears and such, The good ol' days where guys used to pound each other for fun, but if you want to win, i think my idea is right on. When the other teams are filling bench space with a goon, we can fill it with a decent sniper, playmaker, some one who can deliver bone crunching hits, etc....

Many of the better teams in the league have a goon type player. Just look at the teams who made the finals last year. You have two teams with guys like McGratton, Neil, Parros, and May.

I think Kostopoulos is doing a good enough job at the goon position. He isnt susposed to be that type of player but when Montreal needs it he will be the one who will fight for us.

Hockey isn't for "pussys" nor is football.

We have soccer and baseball for them and the weak stomached fans that like to watch them play with balls.

:huh:

What exactly are you trying to say? You make it sound like you think hockey is the toughest sport in the world (it isn't) and that all hockey players are better athletes and tougher athletes than the athletes from other sports (they aren't). A lot of goons in the NHL are on steroids anyway, that hardly makes them look tough.

What exactly are you trying to say? You make it sound like you think hockey is the toughest sport in the world (it isn't) and that all hockey players are better athletes and tougher athletes than the athletes from other sports (they aren't). A lot of goons in the NHL are on steroids anyway, that hardly makes them look tough.

Hockey is a really tough sport. I would think getting hit by men who are 200 pounds is pretty tough. The athaletes are definitely tougher than the athletes that play basketball.

NHL'ers do not take steroids. We arent that type of sport.

Hockey is a really tough sport. I would think getting hit by men who are 200 pounds is pretty tough. The athaletes are definitely tougher than the athletes that play basketball.

NHL'ers do not take steroids. We arent that type of sport.

I agree that basketball is a pussy sport but the NHL isn't the only league that players get hit by 200 pound men. In football you get hit by even bigger players and in worse ways. Also, you need a different mindset in football - the whole point of the game is to tackle or to be tackled. In hockey, there are the grinders who do all the hitting and then there are the finesse players who don't do much hitting. Would you think a player like Ribeiro, Samsonov or Briere is more tough than your average guy?

Besides, toughness isn't all about hitting and being macho. Waterpolo is probably the roughest and most physically demanding sport you can play but it involves you getting into your speedo and wrestling other men in the swimming pool while you cheapshot eachothers balls underwater.

:huh:

Please state the basis for your steroids statement. Others have told you? You have seen the test results? Because you think it has to be that way? You really do not know but was making a statement? All of the above?

Please state the basis for your steroids statement. Others have told you? You have seen the test results? Because you think it has to be that way? You really do not know but was making a statement? All of the above?

Dave Morissette used steroids, Kordic also. You think they are the only 2 ones who do it ?? :(