Dissapointed by Streit

KoZed

UMMM< I have missed 2 games this year, I believe 6 all of last, have been a Habs fan since Jean Belliveau was our captain. Remember him? Yes that was along time ago and I am that old. In your "Estimate" ? Are you an NHL scout. Minor league coach? Just a natural talent analyst? What are you credentials. Did you watch last season? Do you not see a difference in our transitional game? That would be Breezer to a large part. What has Gorges done to deserve 20+ minutes of ice time let alone a place on the bench? If he was of much use he would get to play more. I think Gainey and Carbo get to see him more up close, daily than you and know what he can and can't do. Oh, wait maybe they missed it! You should call Gillette and tell him to replace these guys with yourself. I am sure he will like that. If you really want to be a GM though, call the Leafs. They are waiting for an idiot willing to take that job so they can fire JFJr. By the way, plus/minus is why we missed the playoffs last year and it is a very useful stat. Robinson plus 120 means nothing I guess? Souray's carreer -30 was why I was so glad to see him go. Gorges is a negitive at the moment. What does this stat mean? Simple, when you are on the ice your team scores or gets scored on. Heck, that doesn't matter does it? You a SMU student by any chance? "Duh, that doesn't matter, he turns the puck over alot" Yeah, and Big Bird scored on his own net more than once as a habs. We should have benched him, Man Scotty was an idiot. He could have called Small up from the Vees. Sorry you probably have no idea who I am talking about.....

So what, plus minus means a hell of alot, especially if you are a defenceman. I believe if Gorges played more he would be deeper in the minus department.

Pronger is a plus 154 for his time in the NHL, Chelios plus 341. Means nothing? COME ON!!!

Yup I remember Jean & seeimg as I'm older than you!!!

Thanks for being a real asswipe BTW, I'll take my opions else where!!!

Cool the insults and name-calling please, these things always escalate and stink up the board. Of course we will disagree with one another, but if you want to argue which of you is older then please do so by disagreeing in a mature manner. Thanks.

Edited by JeanLucPilon
cool down

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streit has improved the past couple of games. He's building confidence.

He's still not at his best game, but he hit his low point recently and is coming back.

This thread is way too late in the making. I don't mean to offend, its just a built-up frustration out of losing two games in a row to the same team and remembering that Streit hadn't been playing well leading up to these games. He's back. Sometimes it takes a little bit of hard work but hard luck before it starts to show in tangible results. Streit is in that stage right now. Wait a week.

When Gorges plays, he seems to do a bit better than Bouillon. He's also young and has the potential to round out his game a bit. I wouldn't use him on the second pairing though but it's not like Brisebois' that much better of an option up there. I just wish we could get O'Byrne up already. He might be a bit raw at first but he'll learn very quickly once he's playing NHL games.

I agree completely. If one of them's gonna go, I'd get rid of Booboo, and play Gorges. He deserves a chance and he won't be worse than Booboo...

O'Bryne I want to see get a shot with the Habs, he has the size and the PIM to suggest he can put some hurt on the opposition, we could use that sort of player right now for sure.

O'Bryne I want to see get a shot with the Habs, he has the size and the PIM to suggest he can put some hurt on the opposition, we could use that sort of player right now for sure.

Yes even if the Habs have to dress seven defenseman sometimes and let him go out there and dropp the mitts once or twice a game it could really help this team out.

Also would allow Carbonneau to double shift an offensive player (Kovalev)

Gorges, Streit, Brisebois and Bouillon seem interchangeable to me at the moment. They all have some stengths but significant shortcomings. Obviously, Carbonneau and Gainey will have to do something to steady the bottom pairing - possibly shaking up the pairing with the Hamrlik one, or perhaps a callup. Although switching Dandenault back seems like an option, there's no point since he has far more value to the team as a checking forward than what he ever demonstrated on D in the past couple of years.

I could easily see:

Markov - Komisarek

Gorges - Hamrlik

Brisebois - O'Byrne

Depends when?!?!

AS of christmas this year, I'd like ot see

Markov - Komisa-REX

Hamrlik - Brisebois

Bouillon - Streit

and have Gorges as the 7th D-man

AS of next year...

Markov - K-REX

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Gorges - Valentenko

Emelin or Fisher as the 7th d-man

This might be a problem, seeing that Bouillon still has one year left on his contract after this season! Also, there's no guarantee that teh Habs can get Emelin to leave Russia yet!

One is for sure, i don't think the Habs will be offering any contract extensions to Brisebois and Streit. They are both on the final years of their contracts. This will create some much needed room on the blueline for our promising young prospects!

Edited by Habsfan

Depends when?!?!

AS of christmas this year, I'd like ot see

Markov - Komisa-REX

Hamrlik - Brisebois

Bouillon - Streit

and have Gorges as the 7th D-man

AS of next year...

Markov - K-REX

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Gorges - Valentenko

Emelin or Fisher as the 7th d-man

IMO, You can't have Emelin or Fischer come straight to the NHL next year. Neither one has played on NHL sized ice yet and Fischer at least is still raw and needs to get used to a faster game (ECAC has always seemed somewhat slower than AHL to me).

Maybe Emelin could play in the NHL at some point next year, but I see no reason to play him as a 7th D man. Fischer makes even less sense as a 7th. These guys need minutes, they don't need to sit on a bench.... I wish they'd realize this with Grabovsky and let him get at least a month in Hamilton.

Streit has been a major disappointment on D. And being teamed up with Bouillon has not helped.

These two guys simply get bounced around by the opposition, making their effectiveness next to zero.

Last night was a perfect example: Streit, in particular, simply got out-muscled by the Leafs and in one instance aftermath of the the check he received was scary.

I do not think that either Streit or Bouillon will last through the year as 5-6 D.

O'Byrne will be recalled at some point to take one of their places. As for the 6-7 D positions, I just do not see Gorges there.

There is no one from within at the moment with the possible exception of JP Cote, another bigger, more experienced D than Gorges.

I think some people got carried away with Streit point production last year and assumed

that he was good defensively.

Streit is still very effective offensively. In that there is nothing new from last year.

With the same ice time in power play he double points Brisebois.

He is one of the reason why our power play works.

In defensive situation, he plays on his wrong side, that doesn't help, but the reason why he isn't

effective is because he has no grit. You cannot teach that and he is too old to change. On defense Dandenault

had more grit but no transition plays and was fighting with the puck.

So Streit is a real 6th defensemen to be used in power play and very little at 5-5 and even less on PK.

The problem is that we have nobody in the Brisebois, Gorges and Bouillon mix that can play on PK on the right side

and stand up for team mates.

In contradiction with some of you i do not think Bouillon is the weak link there, he has grit, determination and strong

for his size. The weak link is on right D and it must be solved.

Streit was absolutely brutal last night.

We can have one of Gorges, Streit, or BooBoo on the ice at any one time without too much issue. The problem is when we have to make a pairing out of these three. There just is no good combo that would be reliable against a solid forward line coming at them. Now when Streit is at the top of this game, its not too bad, but when he is soft like last night, it leads to a lot of chances in our own end.

I lost count of how many times Streit failed to clear the puck out when he has relatively easy plays to do so.

I lost count of how many times Streit failed to clear the puck out when he has relatively easy plays to do so.

I agree! Streit missed some nice opportunities to clear the puck while our boys were killing off penalties. he had problems making the first pass out of the zone, and was just brutal for most of the game.

Streit has not been playing well but Bouillon has been playing much worse.

Bouillon is another player who's been struggling of late. He hasn't done anythig to impress. He seems to have lost his aggressive side to his play, and it shows. Some guys in the media think that he is nursing some kind of shoulder injury, and he doesn,t want to sit out, because he's afraid he'll lose his job. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but I thikn both Bouillon and Streit need to sit out a game, and soon. Get Gorges back in there. I think the kid has done a decent job on with the limited time he's had to play.

Playing right side in international hockey is a lot different than in the NHL. You need to use the boards a lot more in the NHL, and it's easier to use them if you're on the same side of the ice as your shooting hand. It's easier for teams to cut off passing angles with Streit being a LH shot on the right side.

That being said, playing with Hamrlik would help him a lot. There are a few possibilities for an O'Byrne call-up, and that'd be to sit Breezer and move Streit up there, and have O'Byrne play with Bouillon, or have O'Byrne play with Streit and Bouillon sit, or have Streit sit (or play forward).

I still like Streit and think he's a legit option for us moving forward.

ANyone could play well with Hamrlik, we shouldn't be keeping this guy around unless he's bringing something useful to the table. ATM he's fumbling the puck on passes, blowing his coverage in front of the net, trying to rush it but never getting anywhere, plus after getting a couple of goals early on, he's not doing so hot on the power play either. He's also worst on the team at -7. Bring up some AHL guy with a lot more upside, he'll make the same amount of mistakes (or maybe less, hard to make more), but have a lot more upside.

Hickey says carey Price will start Friday night in New Jersey, with Cristobal Huet playing against Nashviille at the Bell Centre on Saturday.

When I mentioned Mark Streit's recent difficulties, Hickey said one option Guy Carbonneau may be thinking about is switching Streit and Mathieu Dandenault.

And word from Hamilton is Ryan O'Byrne has been playing well.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/1268?page=0#comment-40164

I wonder what kind of an unknowledgable hockey fan accused of not being a Habs fan said the exact same thing just last week, eh???

BTW as far as the insults, I was riped a new one & was told I couldn'd be a Habs fan for suggesting such a move, I wonder who deserves the apology after all???

& as I did before on this board, I'll take my thoughts elsewhere, no need to upset the applecart by coming in & expressing some new & fresh thoughts!!!

I should think that with Streit (not to mention Bouillon) experiencing difficulties, the answer is to call up O'Byrne (the last player to have been cut from training camp. He certainly can do no worst than Streit playing on his wrong side or Bouillon playing on his right side. And Gorges, I am afraid to say, is not the answer for a 6th or 7th D-man. Dandenault should be left where he is (up front)), unless someone wants him in a trade.

I should think that with Streit (not to mention Bouillon) experiencing difficulties, the answer is to call up O'Byrne (the last player to have been cut from training camp. He certainly can do no worst than Streit playing on his wrong side or Bouillon playing on his right side. And Gorges, I am afraid to say, is not the answer for a 6th or 7th D-man. Dandenault should be left where he is (up front)), unless someone wants him in a trade.

Until Gorges gets at least a fair shot at some regular playing time, how can it be known that he is not the answer. He is young, mobile, played a top 6 role for a much better San Jose club. Like i have stated before, let him play 20 games in a row and see how he fares. He's played in 8 of 24 games. Hardly seems like a fair shake.

Keep Dandenault up front, he's a good 3rd liner up there. Get Gorges in, and bench Streit. Dunno why so many people have a soft spot for him, he's been terrible on D all his seasons here. He was a decent 4th liner, but that's not a huge feat.

Until Gorges gets at least a fair shot at some regular playing time, how can it be known that he is not the answer. He is young, mobile, played a top 6 role for a much better San Jose club. Like i have stated before, let him play 20 games in a row and see how he fares. He's played in 8 of 24 games. Hardly seems like a fair shake.

Gorges has the same problem as Streit & Bouillon : too small & not heavy enough so that he gets knocked around by the opposition, rarely comes out of his corner with the puck. Bring in O'Byrne, who should have remained in any case at the beginning of the season, give him a spot with Hamrlik and get Brisebois on the 3rd D pair with JP Cote.

Edited by jcc

Gorges has the same problem as Streit & Bouillon : too small & not heavy enough so that he gets knocked around by the opposition, rarely comes out of his corner with the puck. Bring in O'Byrne, who should have remained in any case at the beginning of the season, give him a spot with Hamrlik and get Brisebois on the 3rd D pair with JP Cote.

I do agree that all 3 have trouble with the larger forwards, but Streit adds value to the PP and does see the ice much better than Bouillon. Gorges hasn't really got the chance, that's all i would like to see is have him play a bunch of games to see where the can fit in, if at all. With Bouillon, we all know what he can do. He's got the heart of a warrior, but that's about it. Waived and unwanted a few years back. Small, gets bumped off the puck, can't handle large forwards, and adds almost no offense whatsoever. Usually a small, mobile d-man brings some offensive upside but not the Cube. Not even a point this year. I realize he's not paid to score, but even a helper once in awhile would be nice.

I agree. We should give Gorges a chance to play. HTe poor kid has played in 6 games this year. How can we actually say that the kid isn'T good enough when he hasn't even had the chance to play 3 games in a row.

Keep Dandenault up front, he's a good 3rd liner up there. Get Gorges in, and bench Streit.

Well said. Dandeneault is WAY more valuable to this team as a forward rather than a d-man. He sklates hard(and fast) he hits almost everything that isn't wearing a Bleu, Blanc, Rouge jersey, and he forechecks hard. I am satisfied(and surprised) by Dandeneault's play up front...keep him there!

Gorges has the same problem as Streit & Bouillon : too small & not heavy enough so that he gets knocked around by the opposition, rarely comes out of his corner with the puck.

Gorges is bigger than both Streit and Bouillon, not to mention much younger. He will gain weight as he get older!