Recchi on Waivers

alexstream

If you can't produce playing with Crosby, you're not going to produce playing with Koivu. Especially the uninspired version that has been wearing number 11 for the past 7 games.

Edited by sbhatt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't produce playing with Crosby, you're not going to produce playing with Koivu. Especially the uninspired version that has been wearing number 11 for the past 7 games.

I read that last bit as "7 years" and almost had a heart attack, hahaha.

Two debates here which I don't completely agree with. Obviously playing with Crosby should help one's point total, but as was stated a few times Recchi's getting older and probably can't keep up with a player like Crosby. Just because Crosby's a better player, does not mean he would be a better fit for Recchi than Koivu. Also IF Gainey were to pick him up, who's to say he wouldn't "inspire" Koivu and lead to a more productive season. I doubt we'll pick Recchi up, but it wouldn't be the worst move we could make by any means.

I read that last bit as "7 years" and almost had a heart attack, hahaha.

Even there, it's not true, Koivu is not uninspired, he's in a slump... IMO he was still "all out"... just not at the right place at the right moment maybe :P

recchi would be a very good pickup, at least it is worth a try. What do we have to lose? if he is no help put him back on waivers and if need be send him to the minors. The cap hit is relatively small and sometimes a change of scenery can be very invigorating for some players. He always plays hard. and is pretty good defensivly at least as good as smoke is. But I don't think it is a decision we have to make as someone else farther down the food chain will snap him up.

I can't believe some people think the Habs should pick up this guy! Recchi is 39 years old(going on 40). He's 5'9" tall (another small forward...just what the habs need!!!) and let's not forget that if he did have a couple of decent season's lately, it was because he played with talented young guys Like Crosby and Malkin...something that we don't have in Montreal!

CJAD was saying the Habs already declaired they won't be picking up Recchi.

It'd be cool to have him around for that vintage feel of all those other losing seasons though - you know, just to see him playing with Koivu again.

Honestly though, that's when I became the big fan of hockey that I am now.

CJAD was saying the Habs already declaired they won't be picking up Recchi.

It'd be cool to have him around for that vintage feel of all those other losing seasons though - you know, just to see him playing with Koivu again.

Honestly though, that's when I became the big fan of hockey that I am now.

LOL, although Recchi did take lead us to a first round upset of the Pens before they got swept by the Sabres

LOL, although Recchi did take lead us to a first round upset of the Pens before they got swept by the Sabres

Good point. That was a great series wasn't it? Who did we face that year, Hasek right? Then Buffalo went to the finals and got screwed by Brett Hull's skate, lol.

Good point. That was a great series wasn't it? Who did we face that year, Hasek right? Then Buffalo went to the finals and got screwed by Brett Hull's skate, lol.

Yeah, I knew they were toast against the Sabres with Moog in net next round, that was when Thibault choked on the pressure.

The Sabres lost to the Caps with JOEY JUNEAU!! The Habs begun the descent in 99 when Hull scored the "in the crease" goal

Yeah, I knew they were toast against the Sabres with Moog in net next round, that was when Thibault choked on the pressure.

The Sabres lost to the Caps with JOEY JUNEAU!! The Habs begun the descent in 99 when Hull scored the "in the crease" goal

Wow, Moog. lol

Okay, I've got my years mixed up then.

The Pittsburgh Penguins placed forward Mark Recchi on waivers Tuesday and he cleared on Wednesday morning, according to TSN.

Ironically, Monday was "Mark Recchi Bobblehead" night in Pittsburgh.

He's headed to retirement, I think. Just like Leclair a couple of years back.

1. He's comfortable in Montreal

2. We know he's got a shot

3. He's as good as Ryder and will be cheaper if we pick him up on re-entry waivers

4. He might be the scoring winger that Koivu Needs

The Pittsburgh Penguins placed forward Mark Recchi on waivers Tuesday and he cleared on Wednesday morning, according to TSN.

Ironically, Monday was "Mark Recchi Bobblehead" night in Pittsburgh.

He's headed to retirement, I think. Just like Leclair a couple of years back.

Recchi did say he would play in wilkes barr.

Recchi brings just as much as Smolinski does yet Smoke's the exact player we want to replace with Recchi. We already have more bodies than we need, let's just forget about Recchi and move on. It's a move that sounds much more attractive than it really is, we would regret it afterwards.

He's got no future in the NHL. He's a hundred frikken years old. I loved him the last time he played for the Habs, but this time I'll say "no thank you".

devil's advocate's argument: we took away koivu's two best friends, maybe bringing back Recchi helps Koivu feel better about the team. It's a relatively small pickup, shakes up the team a bit, and even though he is old, Recchi is a name that might inspire some confidence from the players. Also, Recchi is probably a better "leader" than Smoke.

What do you guys think?

I think he might be a better option on the first line than Ryder and Streit.

He can still shoot and he isn't death slow yet.

I would wait for re-entry waivers first though as he would become more affordable.

Edited by markierung

What do you guys think?

I think he might be a better option on the first line than Ryder and Streit.

He can still shoot and he isn't death slow yet.

I would wait for re-entry waivers first though as he would become more affordable.

Even if we wanted him, i think the 16 or so teams below us would need to pass on him first before we can take him. I think the waiver priority goes from last to first.

Even if we wanted him, i think the 16 or so teams below us would need to pass on him first before we can take him. I think the waiver priority goes from last to first.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! can't be clearer, NO! Rechi is too old and is not what Montreal needs.

like I sai din the other thread on the subject :P , he's washed up. he cant produce with the best player in the world, why the hell would he be any better??