Game Thread | Habs vs. Boston | 12/06/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep... and only 2 teams are playing under .500 in the entire conference!

And Buffalo is last in our division, just 12 pts (6 wins) away from top team Ottawa.

It'll really come down to goaltending, and not just 1 goalie but tandems... Emery-Gerber, Huet-Price-Halak, Fernandez-Thomas-Auld-Rask, Toskala-Raycroft, Miller-Thibault... I like our chances.

Maybe in the new NHL. But the Leafs miraculously are 1 point over .500 even though they have won 12 of 30 games.

The new system is a joke and it is accomplishing exactly what the little condescending weasel wants.

The Habs are actually .500 @ 14-14. (3 OT/SOL)

ABout Last night

• I thought Price made some huge saves in the 3rd. Especially the blocker save on the deflection.

• O'Byrne played well, but nobody is mentioning the gaffe he made on the second goal. If that was Brisebois it would have been mentioned 800 times.

• Smolinski's brutal board work lead to the first goal. Has that guy won a battle along the boards this year?

• Nice to see Higgins bulling around again

• I am really going to enjoy that Lapierre ###### you smile as he yaps at people

• I would really prefer it if Guy would just let the youth run with this thing.

Edited by Wamsley01

Maybe in the new NHL. But the Leafs miraculously are 1 point over .500 even though they have won 12 of 30 games.

The new system is a joke and it is accomplishing exactly what the little condescending weasel wants.

The Habs are actually .500 @ 14-14. (3 OT/SOL)

ABout Last night

• I thought Price made some huge saves in the 3rd. Especially the blocker save on the deflection.

• O'Byrne played well, but nobody is mentioning the gaffe he made on the second goal. If that was Brisebois it would have been mentioned 800 times.

• Smolinski's brutal board work lead to the first goal. Has that guy won a battle along the boards this year?

• Nice to see Higgins bulling around again

• I am really going to enjoy that Lapierre ###### you smile as he yaps at people

• I would really prefer it if Guy would just let the youth run with this thing.

In all fairness this is O'Byrne's first NHL game and breezer has what 900+ games?? We should expect O'Byrne to make mistakes. Breezer has the experience to not make them..

Nice to see 3 of the 4 goals at 5 on 5 though.

I almost forgot!!!

JMMR..... I owe you and your Smolinski voodoo doll a beer. Nice work!! :bow:

Edited by Habitforming

perhaps, but that might have something to do with his all-around performance and the fact that it was his first game in the NHL.

2pts, +/- 0 ain't half bad for a debut.

perhaps, but that might have something to do with his all-around performance and the fact that it was his first game in the NHL.

2pts, +/- 0 ain't half bad for a debut.

All I am saying is people are glossing over it. I understand why he gets a pass, and look at the reaction when I post something slightly negative about the kid. 2 responses in 5 minutes.

It was a bad play. Simple as that.

Edited by Wamsley01

Smokes will probably be out for a little while. Bégin,s injury isn't as bad.

I agree, O'Byrne did make a mistake on the second goal, but like someone else mentionned, he was playing in his 1st NHL game, I think we can give the kid a break, he did after all get two assists on the night!

here's something interesting...Mathieu Dandeneault has more goals than Michael Ryder! Who would have thought!?!?!?! ^_^:D

Edited by Habsfan

Smokes will probably be out for a little while. Bégin,s injury isn't as bad.

I agree, O'Byrne did make a mistake on the second goal, but like someone else mentionned, he was playing in his 1st NHL game, I thikn we can give the kid a break, he did after all get to assists on the night!

here's something interesting...Mathieu Dandeneault has more goals than Michael Ryder! Who would have thought!?!?!?! ^_^:D

I am fully willing to give him a break. But nobody seemed to mention it at all. Like it never happened.

I didn't see any posts that said "Boy, O'Byrne had a great game other than that one brain fart"

or "Other than the blown coverage on the second goal I am impressed"

It was just an observation. It seemed to be deleted from memory archives or something.

What would have made me go nuts with fanboy euphoria is if he had used every inch of his 6'5" frame to plant Axelsson on his ass and avoid that goal all together.

and

I LOVE LAPIERRE. I can't wait for the first Leaf fan to tell me they hate him :D

Edited by Wamsley01

I LOVE LAPIERRE. I can't wait for the first Leaf fan to tell me they hate him

I also like the kids' "in your face" attitude. However i was a bit disappointed when he turned down the fight, and Cube had to come in and "rescue" him!

If Lapierre is gonna act like a shit disturber(à la Sean Avery) he's gonna have to drop the gloves once in a while. Not everytime, but once in a while he will have to do it.

Edited by Habsfan

I am fully willing to give him a break. But nobody seemed to mention it at all. Like it never happened.

I didn't see any posts that said "Boy, O'Byrne had a great game other than that one brain fart"

or "Other than the blown coverage on the second goal I am impressed"

It was just an observation. It seemed to be deleted from memory archives or something.

What would have made me go nuts with fanboy euphoria is if he had used every inch of his 6'5" frame to plant Axelsson on his ass and avoid that goal all together.

and

I LOVE LAPIERRE. I can't wait for the first Leaf fan to tell me they hate him :D

it's in the game recap

I watched the replay carefully to see if the Dman in the crease was to blame, and Im declaring him innocent, it was a tough play and great setup. Axelson was on the far side of the crease and O'Byrne had to stay in the middle in case Savard broke his check behind the net and headed towards to the crease (since it was Savard, you have to be doubly cautious). Since it was a PK, OByrne was covering the whole crease from 3 guys: Savard, Axelsonn on the far side, and covering the slot from anyone who streaked in, he couldn't just stick on Axelson. Savard got a perfect pass off, threading the puck between Price, and O'Byrne's skates/stick, right onto Axelson's tape, who quickly buried it, very well executed. Blame the guy in the box, not O'Byrne.

I watched the replay carefully to see if the Dman in the crease was to blame, and Im declaring him innocent, it was a tough play and great setup. Axelson was on the far side of the crease and O'Byrne had to stay in the middle in case Savard broke his check behind the net and headed towards to the crease (since it was Savard, you have to be doubly cautious). Since it was a PK, OByrne was covering the whole crease from 3 guys: Savard, Axelsonn on the far side, and covering the slot from anyone who streaked in, he couldn't just stick on Axelson. Savard got a perfect pass off, threading the puck between Price, and O'Byrne's skates/stick, right onto Axelson's tape, who quickly buried it, very well executed. Blame the guy in the box, not O'Byrne.

It wasn't a PP goal. It was 10 seconds after a PP had expired. Kovalev had gotten back in position.

At worst he should have locked up his stick and allowed Price to take the player coming out of the corner. If the player

was going free to the net and O'Byrne bites and he makes the pass I give him a free pass. But he was standing there hesitant

in no man's land, essentially doing nothing. Half challenging the pass, half locking up his check.

No free pass from me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=...?gid=2007120601

Here is the vid of it.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/pop...&src=sports

Edited by Wamsley01

Kovalev was back but was up high, I guess the C-man didn't really adapt yet because Im pretty sure OByrne was still alone in the crease.

You have to admit it was a great pass, fast and accurate by Savard when he was being checked, and right onto the tape. That's why Savard is #1 in assists in the league.

Kovalev was back but was up high, I guess the C-man didn't really adapt yet because Im pretty sure OByrne was still alone in the crease.

You have to admit it was a great pass, fast and accurate by Savard when he was being checked, and right onto the tape. That's why Savard is #1 in assists in the league.

It was a good play. And O'Byrne froze on it. It was not a brutal gaffe by any means. It was a small mistake that you cannot get away with in the NHL. But it is nitpicking. It is more than likely that everybody other than Markov/Hamrlik would get burned on that play 95% of the time.

I was impressed with Rhino burn last night and will be ecstatic if he can provide that for the rest of the season.

It was a good play. And O'Byrne froze on it. It was not a brutal gaffe by any means. It was a small mistake that you cannot get away with in the NHL. But it is nitpicking. It is more than likely that everybody other than Markov/Hamrlik would get burned on that play 95% of the time.

I was impressed with Rhino burn last night and will be ecstatic if he can provide that for the rest of the season.

I totally agree

I love Chips, but I'm not placing him ahead of Koivu.

As far as Pleks outproducing Koivu "in the last 15 games", thats great, but there are 80 plus games in a season as I'm sure all of us are dreadfully aware. Let's talk about full season production, shall we..instead of arbitrarily picking 15 games and annointing Koivu the 3rd best centre.

In that case, you're missing the whole point so I don't see what you can possibly be arguing about. Koivu is the best centre on the team but he is being outplayed by other centers on our team and is in a slump. That's fact. When Koivu breaks out of his slump, he'll be the best centre on this team, but first he has to break out of it and that's what we need. Unfortunately, he is still being outproduced (that is numbers, it's undeniable) by the #2 centre and we need more from him. Is it wrong to want more from him? He needs to play better, we know it, the coach knows it, Gainey knows it and he knows it himself.

I posted about Obyrne's missed check right after the goal. He missed his assignment, but played very well otherwise. I puy it down to a rookie mistake and expect a few more. After all, he is a rookie. ;) We have to accept these learning curves as each of the young guys comes up. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake next time. I have a feeling he won't, but will make a mistake or 2 elsewhere.