Little Kosty called up

KoZed

great game by little Kostitsyn. Even though he did not get a point, you could see that both higgins and Saku were playing better with him next to them.

It was nice to see the two brothers together on the same line with Koivu in the third. the kid created some good scoring opportunities, and that's all we could ask of him in his first NHL game!

Well done Sergei!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great game by little Kostitsyn. Even though he did not get a point, you could see that both higgins and Saku were playing better with him next to them.

It was nice to see the two brothers together on the same line with Koivu in the third. the kid created some good scoring opportunities, and that's all we could ask of him in his first NHL game!

Well done Sergei!

It is nice to see some creativity. I am sure in time they will tell him to stop :rolleyes:

I am SOOO glad that Sergei played a good game and we won. Hopefully this means we'll see him on the top two lines again next game and the team will keep the same six players on the top two lines.

Not only did he play a good game, but Higgins and Koivu seemed sparked by his play, which is huge. This is exactly what I've been talking about when people were dumping on Koivu for playing bad. I know he's playing bad, but he always had higgins and some checker as the third player on the line. A line is THREE players, and for the offensive line to do anything, you need three guys with some level of offensive skill to produce. The other combination that seemed to work with Koivu and Higgins was Lats, but even though he played great with them, I think we lost that game, and so he was back on the line with Chips after it, which was actually okay by me for two reasons: 1- Lats and Chips play great together, and 2- Higgins on his off-wing didn't seem as good. However, Higgins played great on his off-wing tonight with Lil K.

As long as we keep offensively talented players on those first two lines and give them a chance to succeed, I think good things will come.

It is nice to see some creativity. I am sure in time they will tell him to stop :rolleyes:

Hee hee, well said!

I give him 3-4 games, followed by one or two weaker games. This will be followed by his being sat out; followed by his being re-inserted after a loss on the 4th line for 7 minutes a game; followed by a few more games of bouncing in and out and playing garbage minutes; then 'one last chance' on one of the top lines, which comes to nothing due to bad luck, shattered confidence, or slumping linemates; and finally a demotion.

Prove me wrong Guy!!!!

Hee hee, well said!

I give him 3-4 games, followed by one or two weaker games. This will be followed by his being sat out; followed by his being re-inserted after a loss on the 4th line for 7 minutes a game; followed by a few more games of bouncing in and out and playing garbage minutes; then 'one last chance' on one of the top lines, which comes to nothing due to bad luck, shattered confidence, or slumping linemates; and finally a demotion.

Prove me wrong Guy!!!!

I TOTALLY know what you mean. That's how I feel and I worry about the same thing. I'm REALLY REALLY hoping he gets a real chance and good minutes.

ANyone else notice the faceoff support S.K. gave Koivu last night? I was quite impressed.

This kid is going to be real I think.

What do you mean? I wasn't watching.

After faceoffs that were scrambled Sergei battled really hard for those loose pucks.

Hee hee, well said!

Prove me wrong Guy!!!!

you would think this has happened before :lol:

basically he's playing cooperation with everyone.

Also i loved how the kid blocked a few passes in the neutral zone. He did suceed to stop a few attacks from the Flyers. A little bit more control and it was a turn over in neutral zone for Flyers. For a kid with 25ish games in Hamilton, his ability to make quick decisions was impressive for 1st NHL game.

He did make great passes for Higgins and he i did noticed him a couple of times.

perhaps the only so far player this year to exchange the puck with higgins and koivu without freaking loosing the puck all the time like Dandy, Kosto and Ryder.

Note : he's so much better than Andrei along the boards....

Anyway my 2 cents.

I am SOOO glad that Sergei played a good game and we won. Hopefully this means we'll see him on the top two lines again next game and the team will keep the same six players on the top two lines.

Not only did he play a good game, but Higgins and Koivu seemed sparked by his play, which is huge. This is exactly what I've been talking about when people were dumping on Koivu for playing bad. I know he's playing bad, but he always had higgins and some checker as the third player on the line. A line is THREE players, and for the offensive line to do anything, you need three guys with some level of offensive skill to produce. The other combination that seemed to work with Koivu and Higgins was Lats, but even though he played great with them, I think we lost that game, and so he was back on the line with Chips after it, which was actually okay by me for two reasons: 1- Lats and Chips play great together, and 2- Higgins on his off-wing didn't seem as good. However, Higgins played great on his off-wing tonight with Lil K.

As long as we keep offensively talented players on those first two lines and give them a chance to succeed, I think good things will come.

Yea i was thinking the same thing. I enjoy Lats and Chipchura combo.

at least we saw some spark from Koivu tonight. Problem arise when you dont even notice him other than when he plays on the PK lol. I do wish he'll rebound

I TOTALLY know what you mean. That's how I feel and I worry about the same thing. I'm REALLY REALLY hoping he gets a real chance and good minutes.

I totally agree with you 100%.

I had the misfortune of missing some of the first period, and when i saw the first line on the PP, it had Lats inserted in it. But then i saw 5 on 5 that S. Kostistyn was back in his place, and it was that first face off in the Flyer's zone where he just jump at the puck without any hesitation.

It was almost creepy how quick his reaction time is for his first NHL game. I can't say i've had such a good feeling about a prospect like this until i saw Andrei K's first saucer passes last year. I'm from the school of thought where i don't want to hype up Sergei too much, but i just have a REALLY good feeling about the dynamic he's going to bring to the top line.

Watch out Toronto!

And everyone was mentioning how small he is...you know what? He was bigger on the ice than i thought he'd be. He's got a low centre of gravity (or as someone said he skates like he's 4 feet tall), but he's got power behind those legs and he flies with lots of comfort out there. I can't wait to see more of this kid.

P.S. -- To the site admins, i think your server needs the 2007 Daylight Saving Patch because it's 1 hour ahead :P

Edited by mineral

Yep, I really like this Sergei kid. I don't know if he has as much raw "skill" as his older brother (or maybe he does), but I think he'll turn into the better NHL'er. He seems to have more "fire in his belly" than Andrei... that's the key.

Well, he lit up the OHL in 06 and everybody said it was Schremp and Bolland that helped him out.

He lit up the OHL again in 07 and everybody said it was Gagner and Kane who were responsible.

He goes into the AHL as a 20 year old and averages a PPG, something that Higgins, AK46 or any of our other young guns could.

All of the youtube clips show him throwing big body checks with regularity and Dale Hunter claimed he was more ready for the NHL than Kane or Gagner.

Damn right I am excited about this kid. He showed a little last night. Let's hope Carbo leaves him up on the top line to sink or swim

Mainly, Saku would win the draw but be tied up. Sk slipped in quick and moved the puck to the point. Did it a few times. Nice to see in a rookie. Very heads up.

If this keeps up and I suspect it will, it'll be very difficult for the staff to cut Sergei Kostitsyn. One way or another he is putting in a claim for a spot. Yes, it's only one game. However, looking around and wondering about Ryder; at the end of the day Sergei will at least bring a sidebar weapon that allows other players to have success. Barring that, he'll score. End of story. He might have made the team.

Where is Ryder in all of this? :?- That's the bad news.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Anyone else saw flashes of chemistry when both Kostitsyn brothers were paired late in the 3rd period? They skated circles around the Philly D... than later on another shift Sergei found Andrei completely open in the slot but the pass was a fraction of a second ahead of Andrei.

I smell possible magic here between the two brothers. Vancouver has the Sedins, we could have our own pair of brothers.

Anyone else saw flashes of chemistry when both Kostitsyn brothers were paired late in the 3rd period? They skated circles around the Philly D... than later on another shift Sergei found Andrei completely open in the slot but the pass was a fraction of a second ahead of Andrei.

I smell possible magic here between the two brothers. Vancouver has the Sedins, we could have our own pair of brothers.

Sergei even mentioned that he prefers playing with his brother in an interview after the game... but his english isn't the best and he/I may have misunderstood the question/answer.