Need Some Help

iamcanadien

Hey guys im in a fanasty hockey pool and well some toronto fans are bashing me saying that montreal makes dumber moves then toronto. Such as trading away roy for no one and also about signing gilmour after his career was over and such. I was curous if you guys could give me some points so i can show them that toronto has made worse trades . Ive already mentioned the courtnall for kordic trade.

Gilmour provided alot of grit and leadership for the Habs just not stats....besides if he was that bad, why did Toronto get him back after he was in Montreal?

other bad Toronto moves

Boyes

Raycroft

Clark

Toskala

McCabe

Perrault

Sullivan

Mogilny

Blake

JFJ

Hi thanks for the reply but you are syaing after he was in montreal he ent back to toronto ??? Also thos names you listed couild you tell me what was involved with them plz

thanks

yes - habs let him go back to toronto near end of season as a gesture. he blew his knee out during his first game with TO (from memory), they let him go and he never played again. remind your friend of that classy move by the leafs...

Hey guys im in a fanasty hockey pool and well some toronto fans are bashing me saying that montreal makes dumber moves then toronto. Such as trading away roy for no one and also about signing gilmour after his career was over and such. I was curous if you guys could give me some points so i can show them that toronto has made worse trades . Ive already mentioned the courtnall for kordic trade.

The Leafs have not made any trades that approach Roy for Thibault, Chelios for Savard or Leclair/Desjardins for Recchi.

They actually pulled of 2 of the biggest heists of the last 20 years in Sundin for Clark and Gilmour for Leeman, but those were Cliff Fletcher moves from 15 years ago.

Where the Leaf organization is a joke is their lack of vision towards the future and always looking at today.

The Leafs essentially let Jason Smith go for nothing to Edmonton. Jason Smith was the Captain of a team that almost won the Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago. They traded Boyes/McCauley for a broken down Owen Nolan when they convinced themselves they had a shot at a Stanley Cup in 2003.

Recently they traded Tuuka Rask for Andrew Raycroft, then the next season they dealt a 1st rounder for Toskala. They then signed both of these guys to extensions all the while blocking the path of their future superstar Justin Pogge.

John Ferguson jr has locked up their cap space and traded away a ton of picks to just make the playoffs to save his job.

What you see with the Leafs is what you get right now. They are against the cap and the only players they have in the minors are Tlusty and Pogge. If they want to improve this season they will need to find somebody to take Kubina/McCabe's huge contracts off their hands and deal an elite level prospect. Both of which are not likely.

The Habs on the other hand have Cap room, UFAs like Huet and Ryder who will be replaced from within by cheaper youth and a stacked farm system that may entice a team to make a deal.

So even though they are neck and neck right now, the older Sundin gets, the darker the Leafs future becomes.

Here are a couple of recent articles that rank the respective franchises head to head

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...pageRequested=1

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/12/canadia...s-in-draft.html

Edited by Wamsley01

The Leafs have not made any trades that approach Roy for Thibault, Chelios for Savard or Leclair/Desjardins for Recchi.

They actually pulled of 2 of the biggest heists of the last 20 years in Sundin for Clark and Gilmour for Leeman, but those were Cliff Fletcher moves from 15 years ago.

Where the Leaf organization is a joke is their lack of vision towards the future and always looking at today.

The Leafs essentially let Jason Smith go for nothing to Edmonton. Jason Smith was the Captain of a team that almost won the Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago. They traded Boyes/McCauley for a broken down Owen Nolan when they convinced themselves they had a shot at a Stanley Cup in 2003.

Recently they traded Tuuka Rask for Andrew Raycroft, then the next season they dealt a 1st rounder for Toskala. They then signed both of these guys to extensions all the while blocking the path of their future superstar Justin Pogge.

John Ferguson jr has locked up their cap space and traded away a ton of picks to just make the playoffs to save his job.

What you see with the Leafs is what you get right now. They are against the cap and the only players they have in the minors are Tlusty and Pogge. If they want to improve this season they will need to find somebody to take Kubina/McCabe's huge contracts off their hands and deal an elite level prospect. Both of which are not likely.

The Habs on the other hand have Cap room, UFAs like Huet and Ryder who will be replaced from within by cheaper youth and a stacked farm system that may entice a team to make a deal.

So even though they are neck and neck right now, the older Sundin gets, the darker the Leafs future becomes.

Here are a couple of recent articles that rank the respective franchises head to head

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...pageRequested=1

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/12/canadia...s-in-draft.html

In all fairness to the Roy deal , Patrick did show the world he would be moving no matter what on National tv.

How can you expect to be on the good side of leverage when something like that happens?

In all fairness to the Roy deal , Patrick did show the world he would be moving no matter what on National tv.

How can you expect to be on the good side of leverage when something like that happens?

I'm not sure if the Canadiens had a bad record at that point in the season and that put more pressure on them to get something in return quickly to plug a hole in goal....but I can see both sides of the coin here in this situation... but i do wish that the side we ended up having had patience and realized even though Roy was dead set he wouldn't ever play another game with the habs it was only a matter of time that a team would give up decent value for a goalie of his calibre..... but hindsight is 20/20 so looking back on trades makes it pretty easy to evaluate... its the trades that when you look back and see how good they were that shows how great the GM and his staff were at seeing that potential back then.

not sure if any of that made sense.. had a few 'pops', as donald s. cherry would say... :D

:popcorn:

Edited by newf

• 2 weeks later...

Any deal could have been better though...

The alleged Serge Savard deal the year before was supposedly something like a young Owen Nolan + Stephane Fiset...

Any deal could have been better though...

The alleged Serge Savard deal the year before was supposedly something like a young Owen Nolan + Stephane Fiset...

Yeah I heard it too, it was Nolan and Fiset for Roy yep.