Stanley Cup Finals Thread | #1 (East) Tampa Bay vs. #6 (West) Calgary

Fanpuck33_

...................................................tampa150.gif]http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/guitarzen/tam...pa150.gif[/img][/url] VS. 150x150.................................................' target='_blank'>http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/guitarzen/cal..........[/color]

[align=center]This is what it's all about:[/align]

................................................................classicpins_1791_334993

[align=center]Leading Scorers:[/align]

.......................................................................................tampa50.gif.......................................................................................

[align=center]Martin St. Louis: 5 goals, 13 assists = 18 points

Brad Richards: 8 goals, 9 assists = 17 points

Fredrik Modin: 7 goals, 9 assists = 16 points[/align]

.......................................................................................calgary50.gif.......................................................................................

[align=center]Jarome Iginla: 10 goals, 7 assists = 17 points

Craig Conroy: 5 goals, 10 assists = 15 points

Martin Gelinas : 6 goals, 6 assists = 12 points[/align]

[align=center]Goalies:[/align]

.........................................200x250http://sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/khabibulin02sl-1.jpg[/img] vs. 200x250http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040428/i/r3349778080.jpg[/img]....................................

...........................................Khabibulin (12-4, 1.65 GAA) ------------- Kiprusoff (12-7, 1.90 GAA)........................................

[Edited on 5-23-04 by Fanpuck33]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this series is destined to go 7 with the Flames winning (Gelinas will get the OT winner hehe) . St. Louis should have a huge series facing his former team. I also think that Iginla will get the Conn Smythe.

GO FLAMES GO :clap:

[Edited on 23/5/04 by Quebecois]

Congrats to these two teams. Calgary has made a great run this year and Tampa has built a very good team.

My prediction: Calgary in 6

Why? Calgary just seems to be a team of destiny. I think Tampa is the better team, but I just have a feeling that the Flames are destined for glory.

Conn Smythe: Iginla

Why? Do I really need to explain why?

But, I am rooting for Tampa Bay.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Hopefully the Flames can despose of the goofy Lightning.

I cannot cheer for a team that uses Hulk Hogan as a marketing tool :nono:

Yeah, that does make it a bit hard to take them seriously, but I can't root against Martin St. Louis, he is just fun to watch. It takes real skill to lead the league in scoring when you are among the smallest guys in the league. He is so fast and explosive, fun.

Since the 1990 Stanley Cup finals...

The team with home-ice advantage is 11-3

Teams with home ice advantage in the Cup final who didnt win the Cup were Boston 90, Detroit 95, Philadelphia 97

The cup winning teams record in

Game 1 is 9-5

Game 2 is 12-2

Game 3 is 12-2

Game 4 is 10-4

Cup winners who didnt win

Game 1 were Pittsburgh 91, Montreal 93, New York 94, Dallas 99, Detroit 02

Game 2 were New Jersey 00, Colorado 01

Game 3 were Pittsburgh 91, New Jersey 03

Game 4 were Edmonton 90, Dallas 99, Colorado 01, New Jersey 03

An exciting game. It really turned around when Modin missed on the one-timer and Iginla took it all the way and made a great hustle goal. Tampa looked like Montreal, lots of turnovers that killed them. It also didn't seem like Khabi had his head screwed on right, gave up on the Iginla goal and left lots of rebounds.

Fun game though.

Hopefully Calgary wins and brings the Cup back to Canada. I have nothing against American teams, but it's been awhile since a Canadian team has seen the Cup.

Doesn't it annoy you how the Tampa announcer screams..."LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLighting."

And every one is holding a set of those blow-up sticks that make nose when you hit them against each other. You know, the kind they use in basketball to distract the free-throw shooter?

I guess Tampa couldn't get ready in time for the NHL playoffs so they had to sell there basketball stuff.

Calgary kicked there ass.

:lol:

(edited by puck: too many LLLLLLLL's... made the page wider)

[Edited on 2004-5-26 by puck7x]

I've seen those stupid "thunder-sticks" in numerous NHL arenas, not just Tampa Bay. I've seen them in pretty much every sport: hockey, basketball, baseball, not sure about football. The things are extremely annoying, although they are quite loud. Anyway, there is no Tampa basketball team for the Bolts to get them from, although that is not the case.

A solid 4-1 victory by the Lightning. Iginla was invisible, and the Bolts dominated much of the play. I love the intensity of this series. Both teams appear to want it so much. I don't recall a recent Cup Final with this much intensity. Fun stuff.

Originally posted by habitual_hab

I can't wait for the moment when Lecavalier tries one of his patented cheap shots on Iginla. Then little Vinny'll be toast as Iginla is one of the better scrappers in the NHL.

Dont be so sure about that... Lecavalier is a trained boxer (in the off-season) and is one of those guys in the NHL who can turn into an absolute nutcas in fights and beat the crap out of the other guy (see on habs: Zednik/Souray) ... Though even considering this, Iginla would still probably win, cause he's one tough SOB... But I know this, a Lecavalier/Iginla fight would be really close, but it would be great to see.

Lecavalier played one hell of a game in game #2... Wow... When you package his All-Star skill with physical dominating play you have an unstoppable force... I cant wait until he turns 31... And you all know why... :D

I can't wait for the moment when Lecavalier tries one of his patented cheap shots on Iginla. Then little Vinny'll be toast as Iginla is one of the better scrappers in the NHL.

When Iginla fights, it's usually for a legitimate reason - not for momentum, or to even something up...it's because he's pissed off.

Like when Iginla grabbed Ohlund and started beating the crap out of him. Ohlund pulled a cheap-shot from behind that should have been a boarding penalty with less than a minute left in the game, so Iginla kicked his ass.

Dont be so sure about that... Lecavalier is a trained boxer (in the off-season) and is one of those guys in the NHL who can turn into an absolute nutcas in fights and beat the crap out of the other guy (see on habs: Zednik/Souray)

Levavalier is nothing. Big deal, he knows boxing. A lot of people in this world know some sort of Martial Art or Self-defense.

Souray is naturally a good fighter. He punches hard. Now all he needs to do is shoot hard (again).

On man Ribeiro, you ended up looking pretty silly...

:P

Lecavalier and Iginla just fought, and while the decision was probably slightly in Iginla's favour, Lecavalier handled himself very well... Which is exactly what I said would happen if they fought.

Your Tampa hate is getting old... actually it got old a long time ago. If Tampa wins the cup will you finally give them respect?

Well, I think puck's post pretty much what I was going to say, he just beat me to it. Iginla won the fight IMO, but Vinny held his own, and that is impressive since Vinny rarely, if ever, fights. You could tell he was inexperienced, as he struggled with his balance while throwing punches, but he landed a few good shots.

Wow, that play Fedetenko went down on was scary. There should have been a penalty there for sure.

I was disappointed in the aftermath of the Leclavier/Iginla fight. I really thought it would fire up both Vinny and his team-mates, but that didn't happen at all. Great game by Kiprusoff.

Originally posted by puck7x

Lecavalier and Iginla just fought, and while the decision was probably slightly in Iginla's favour, Lecavalier handled himself very well... Which is exactly what I said would happen if they fought.

Your Tampa hate is getting old... actually it got old a long time ago. If Tampa wins the cup will you finally give them respect?

How do I look silly?

Lecavalier didn't look anything like a boxer out there - and like I said , Iginla won the fight.

Secondly, why would I give a team respect just because they win the Cup? Do you respect every team that wins a Championship? Teams like the Packers, The Lakers? Sad. It would be horrible for hockey if they won the Cup.

:nono:

[Edited on 2004/5/30 by Ribeiro]

Just because a team doesnt have a ton of fans doesn't mean you can't respect the players.

And how can you not respect the skill and ability that the Lakers posses? You can hate that they win all the time or hate what they do off the court, but you have to respect the champion from a basketball point of view.

Obviously, you haven't followed basketball very long.

Teams like the Lakers or Yankees are hated because they purchase Championships. If they win, they'll never earn respect.

It was on TV during a basketball show that they'll never have near the respect of the 90 Bulls or 80 Lakers, because the talent they have was developed from other teams, they simply had more money and took the talent.

If you seriously think the Lakers deserve respect - you have to follow up on basketball more. A Sacramento, Minnesota, San Antonio or Dallas fan would have laughed in your face - hard. You know, teams that actually develop talent as opposed to signing pompous asses near the end of their career desperate for a ring?

Teams like the Lakers are disfunctional, and talent moves in and out. Hardly a respected dynasty like the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Cowboys, San Antonio Spurs or Montreal Canadiens. All consistent Championship teams (some considered dynasties), but all went through a rebuilding period unlike the Lakers or Yankees who just loaded up on talent because they had the cash.

Back to the topic of Tampa - You guys act as if they've become the Colorado Avalanche or New Jersey Devils, it's ridiculous.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Back to the topic of Tampa - You guys act as if they've become the Colorado Avalanche or New Jersey Devils, it's ridiculous.

I am pretty sure that nobody has even implied this. All we are saying is that Tampa is a good team and did not come out of nowhere. Compare them to Calgary, who you do not call a fluke. An identical number of players on that team have been drafted by them, traded for, and signed in free agency. Both teams have built good teams. Tampa cannot be a fluke with the back-to-back 90+ seasons. Flukes don't do well twice. The verdict is still out on Calgary.

So, if Iginla is so great, why didn't he produce a goal? No, I am not being serious, I am just pointing out the flaws in your guy's last argument and St. Louis and Leclavier not scoring in Game 3.

Niemenen is establishing himself as a dirty player. He has had a number of questionable hits this postseason, and that his on Leclavier was vicious. He first used his hand to try to knock his helmet off, then rammed his head into the boards from behind. He should be suspended for that crap.

Great game by Khabi though. And TB won without their top-line LW and arguably their best D-man.

[Edited on 6-1-04 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Ribeiro
Originally posted by puck7x

How do I look silly?

Lecavalier didn't look anything like a boxer out there - and like I said , Iginla won the fight.

Secondly, why would I give a team respect just because they win the Cup? Do you respect every team that wins a Championship? Teams like the Packers, The Lakers? Sad. It would be horrible for hockey if they won the Cup.

:nono:

Its just funny that we were talking about the possibility of a Lecavalier/Iginla fight a few days before the actual fight, and at the time you seemed assured that Iginla would easily handle Lecavalier... And then when the actual fight happened, it ended up being pretty even. But whatever...

Second part... You should give them respect if they win the cup because the Stanley cup is the hardest trophy in pro sports to win, teams have to go through a grueling 82 game schedule just to make the playoffs, and then have to battle in 4 rounds of tough playoff hockey. Frankly, who gives a shit if the Lightning are from Florida? It shouldnt take anything away from the team and players.

Anyways, I'm getting a headache over this... You have your opinion, and the other 95% of hockey fans have theirs. I'll leave it at that.

Ville N. was suspended today for 1 game for his hit on Lecavalier.

Personally I think its a crap decision. I've seen dozens of hits this year that we're worse then the one Nemo put on Lecavalier, and those hits went unpunished.... Plus why wasnt Stillman suspended for his dirty check earlier in the series? I guess Ville's other suspension (running Cujo) had something to do with the latest decision...