Give Credit Where Credit is Due

seanman99

Although Darrly Sutter is probobley the one most responsable for the amazing run of the Flames one person often over looked is the ex-g.m . In this case Al Coates. I found this on Hockey Trades Rumors.com and i think its pretty good.

Al Coates, now a VP with the Mighty Ducks, is responsible for bringing in many of the key players that are sparking this cup run. Coates was fired four years ago by the flames but he made some significant moves.

In 1995, Coates traded Joe Nieuwendyk to the Dallas Stars for a package that included Jerry Iginla. One deal that was squashed was Nieuwendyk going to MSG for Ray "chicken parm" Ferraro and Dan Cloutier. Coates also wanted Mattias Norstrom in the deal but the Rangers were not buying. So Coates got Iggy instead. I think that one worked out. Chicken Parm works for ESPN. Cloutier, the fighting goalie, can't win playoff games for the canucks. Mattias who?

The Theo Fleury trade to Colorado brought Robyn Regehr to the flames. Coates had a choice between Regehr and Martin Skoula (who ironically plays for Coates and the Ducks). He chose Regehr.

In another trade he swapped Gary Roberts for GS Giguere of then Carolina. As we know Giguere did not stay long but that is besides the point.

So regardless of the Cups outcome, I believe the Bolts are going to take this one, the Flames have made quite a turnaround and has Canucks up north cheering about the home team again. And the turnaround can be linked to a man that has not been around for four years.

The flames would be :monkey: without him.