New iPod Nano

Zowpeb

So, my fiance just got a new iPod Nano(3rd Gen)...it's connected to my computer once and now, if I have it connected, my computer won't reboot...and if I connect after it reboots then it does not recognize the connection on the computer or in iTunes.

After jumping on Apple's website I see nothing of the issue...until I go into their user forum where there are literally thousands of people reviewing the issues with no updates from Apple. :huh:

So, I now read on their website that I get ONE free service phone call in my first 90 days, after which they then CHARGE you for any service call...WHO THE ###### CHARGES FOR A TECHNICAL PROBLEM WHEN YOU BUY THEIR PRODUCT??????? :blink::wacko:

I can safely say that I will NEVER, EVER, buy an Apple product...and the poor guys at the Apple store in Toronto will not like me coming in directly, with my laptop and iPOD in tow, for them to fix on the spot. They will also not like what I have to say...

At this point I've spent about 4-5 hours trying to get this thing to work. :angry:

Everything from software (re-)installs, reboots, changing and re-arranging USB ports, reading their on-line manual and troubleshooting guides multiple times, trying fixes suggested by posters in the Apple forums, etc...

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE NEW IPOD NANO.

Only saving grace is that we didn't buy the thing with our own money since it was a gift. However, the time I'm losing trying to fix this bullshit is worth more then the damn unit. :angry:

I've come to terms with the fact that you have to disconnect your iPod when you're rebooting. If it's unplugged, you shouldn't have issues with the reboot.

If it doesn't recognize your ipod, reinstall iTunes, and upgrade to the latest version. I had the same issue, and that fixed it.

I've come to terms with the fact that you have to disconnect your iPod when you're rebooting. If it's unplugged, you shouldn't have issues with the reboot.

If it doesn't recognize your ipod, reinstall iTunes, and upgrade to the latest version. I had the same issue, and that fixed it.

I could care less about having it plugged in during start-up...it's the fact it's not recognized in iTunes, nor by my computer, that's pissing me off.

I've tried re-installing the software and I've tried installing the previous version of the software thinking that the latest update may be the issue since so many are having problems with the latest generation of iPod Nano. Neither have worked.

I really hate it when companies over advertise about how user friendly their products are and how easy they are to interface with only to realise that they are full of crap. My experience so far is that Apple products are the exact opposite of user friendly...and that their service to resolve issues(even widespread issues) is terrible. Not only have they not responded to the issues on their website, or with a patch update, they charge you for a phone call if you call more then once, or after 90 days.

I can buy any number of things, plug them into my computer, run an easy install program and I'm using the product instantly.

Seems to me that Apple is no different then any number of other companies that rush poor products to market, responds poorly to the issues and then offers "new" upgrades that they'll likely charge for...it's like selling a bottle of coca cola that you can't open without then having to buy, and overpay, for the bloody bottle opener, only to find the bottle opener doesn't actually work so you then have to buy an adaptor for the bottle opener.

shhhhh go back to sleep, obey your corporate masters, shhhh sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

For the record we didn't buy the iPod...it was a gift from work for enduring hours of BS over our recent software implementation. Figures they'd give her an iPod that you can't use without hours of computer trouble...LMAO.

Apple has always been good to my family. My parents use a Mac computer and something went wrong with it about 3-4 months after the warranty ended. Took it into the Apple Store and they fixed it free of charge, saved us a few hundred bucks.

That being said, I don't care for iPods, I got a regular old mp3 player and I love it. Here's to wma compatibility!