Who gets sent down?

GOHABSGO22

either a vet will be waived or traded or Chipchura will be sent down

Edited by marky_and_komi

With O'Byrne injured for 6 weeks you send him down. After that i am not sure.

Injured players do not count on the 23 man roster. If they did, Montreal would have had 26 guys last week alone with Smolinski, Begin and Brisebois on the IR.

Basically, O'Byrne out and Brisebois in and the team has 23 again.

Nobody will need to get sent down. Right now, we're carrying 12 active forwards, 7 defensemen (once O'Byrne goes on IR), and 2 goalies. That's only 21 of 23 available roster spots.

When Begin and Smolinski get activated, I would leave Begin as a healthy scratch on a consistent basis. I love the energy he brings, but he doesn't bring anything else that Chipchura and Lapierre don't bring, while both of those young guys have energy in addition to some offensive punch. On top of that, Begin has a history of taking really bad penalties. As for Smolinski, I'd swap him out for Kostopoulos every now and then.

Nobody will need to get sent down. Right now, we're carrying 12 active forwards, 7 defensemen (once O'Byrne goes on IR), and 2 goalies. That's only 21 of 23 available roster spots.

When Begin and Smolinski get activated, I would leave Begin as a healthy scratch on a consistent basis. I love the energy he brings, but he doesn't bring anything else that Chipchura and Lapierre don't bring, while both of those young guys have energy in addition to some offensive punch. On top of that, Begin has a history of taking really bad penalties. As for Smolinski, I'd swap him out for Kostopoulos every now and then.

The only one I can remember is when he high-sticked someone in Toronto last game last year. That being said, it was all Sundin's fault who continued to play after the end of period.

You might want to say "On top of that, Koivu/Perezoghin/Smolinski/Damphousse has a history of taking really bad penalties."

The only one I can remember is when he high-sticked someone in Toronto last game last year. That being said, it was all Sundin's fault who continued to play after the end of period.

You might want to say "On top of that, Koivu/Perezoghin/Smolinski/Damphousse has a history of taking really bad penalties."

And to be fair, Wellwood actually high-sticked himself on that play.

I'm not talking about those guys, I'm talking about Begin. There have been other times when he's taken 3rd period penalties in close games. For a guy who only brings energy, he has to be smarter than that. Everyone takes dumb penalties now and then, but when you're a 4th line energy guy, you have to play smart. He has gotten better about it, I will admit that. That first year after the lockout, there were half a dozen games where he took a 3rd period or OT penalty that led to go-ahead goals or that put the opposition up by two goals.

Kosto or Begin should sit most nights from what I've seen to this point in the season.

works for me. I love the way the kids are playing, and you know they're still improvig, so I want them getting as much time as possible.

Kosto and begin are your energy guys. You need them out there.

Begin is an energy guy, Kostop i'm not so sure. He does stick up for his teammates, but doesn't do much else. Laps looks much better than K. Not too sure how Carbo is gonna find a spot for Begin, Smokes and Breezer when they come back.

Hopefully, Breezer does not get in for Gorges. Tough decisions are good though.

It's really just a choice between Begin or Kostopolous. I think Begin's a better PKer than Kostopolous, so that'd be my choice. Let's just hope Carbo doesn't view it as a choice between Chipchura and Begin, though.

O'Byrne is almost out until the trade deadline (6 weeks takes him within a week or two of it). After the trade deadline, we aren't restricted by a 23 man roster anymore. If everyone is healthy at that point, I say put O'Byrne in Hamilton for conditioning purposes as well as simplifying the roster, and then bring him up after the deadline as a regular. My hope is a regular 6 that includes both Streit and O'Byrne. I like Gorges, but I think those two at their best are better options. And I hope Streit continues to play like he has the past couple of nights.

Hopefully there aren't too many more injuries because we really are close to the breaking point in terms of depth right now. I think everyone that's available right now to us from Hamilton are more "cup of coffee" types (at least at this stage in their careers) rather than long term solutions... aside from Halak. I don't think anyone else is NHL ready.

Anyone hear anything on Grabovski's health/recovery?