Gainey Press Conference Monday at 10:30

KoZed

I'll be watching it. Gainey & Carbo will do a first half review.

Is that All...I was hoping for some more interesting news.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah. That's stressful. As soon as I see the words Gainey and Press Conference, I assume big news is coming. Who knows? Maybe something is coming? Maybe Ryder's finally played well enough that we found a trading partner?? One can hope (or dream...)

• After 41 games, Gainey thinks the team is in better position than the competition but he expects the 2nd half to be harder
  • Gainey explains the successes of the team to some individuals who performed better than expected.
  • Says the team has things to work on for the 2nd half.
  • He's not surprised by Kovalev but he's happy for him. Says 6 months ago Kovalev was in a really negative frame of mind and it's Kovalev that changed his attitude.
  • Gainey is happy about the team's balance compared to last year. He's happy about the team's global plus/minus balance. He's satisfied with the team's 5-on-5 and discipline improvement compared to last year. He would like the team to work on spending less time in the defensive zone. They need to play a better collective game defensively and improve the PK.
  • About keeping Carey Price: keeping him with the team was a gamble based mostly on his play in the Calder Cup last year. Says Price has an impact on the team's spirit, that he's part of that core of young players who brings a certain character to the team.

• After 41 games, Gainey thinks the team is in better position than the competition but he expects the 2nd half to be harder
  • Gainey explains the successes of the team to some individuals who performed better than expected.
  • Says the team has things to work on for the 2nd half.
  • He's not surprised by Kovalev but he's happy for him. Says 6 months ago Kovalev was in a really negative frame of mind and it's Kovalev that changed his attitude.
  • Gainey is happy about the team's balance compared to last year. He's happy about the team's global plus/minus balance. He's satisfied with the team's 5-on-5 and discipline improvement compared to last year. He would like the team to work on spending less time in the defensive zone. They need to play a better collective game defensively and improve the PK.
  • About keeping Carey Price: keeping him with the team was a gamble based mostly on his play in the Calder Cup last year. Says Price has an impact on the team's spirit, that he's part of that core of young players who brings a certain character to the team.

So for the time being, Price stays? Phew!

Nice to see that we are finally talking about team unity rather than cliques, and bad influences!

I hope Carey bounces back with a nice little victory soon!

Thank you KoZed. You have saved me frantic web surfing when I'd rather be a couch potato today :lol: .

Cheers :D

Audio from habsinsideout.com

http://habsinsideout.com/main/2514

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226677&hubname=nhl

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Nice to see him comment on staying out of there own zone. As I have mentioned a few times, I believe that is the root cause of many of their collapses. They don't seem to understand that teams that sit on leads successfully do it in the neutral zone, not in their own zone.

I look forward to the team adjusting and improving this aspect of their play.

Yep, Gainey nailed it right on the head. A slight improvement in there own end, better penalty killing and face offs should put the team into the playoffs.

I didn't know where to put this but i though it was interesting. I was watching a game i forgot which one but it was another team with young centers and they commented and showed stats that players age and experience taking faceoffs directly impacts the percentage of wins. The stats were something like rookies and younger players are never in the top 50 in percentage, normally down even further. There are obviously a few exceptions but with Lapierre, Chichura and Pleks (3 year, 2 rookies) they will continue to struggle for a few years on the draws. They said all the coaching in the world doesn't replace going up against experienced players.

Yep, Gainey nailed it right on the head. A slight improvement in there own end, better penalty killing and face offs should put the team into the playoffs.

I didn't know where to put this but i though it was interesting. I was watching a game i forgot which one but it was another team with young centers and they commented and showed stats that players age and experience taking faceoffs directly impacts the percentage of wins. The stats were something like rookies and younger players are never in the top 50 in percentage, normally down even further. There are obviously a few exceptions but with Lapierre, Chichura and Pleks (3 year, 2 rookies) they will continue to struggle for a few years on the draws. They said all the coaching in the world doesn't replace going up against experienced players.

I haven't looked at faceoff stats recently but I do know that Saku's really are only reliable guy, while Plekanec is very streaky in the circle. Smolinski's been a bust, and yeah, younger players are worse in the draw than vets so Chips and Max haven't solved that problem.

I think he's directly talking to Plekanec with the whole "wanting it more" because he's at a point in his career where improvement in this regard should be coming.

It'd be great if we could find that one player who helps both our PK and faceoff situation.

I Heard it on the radio and I'm still wondering whats the whole point to this...

he didnt say much, we didn't learn anything.

all he did was to put more pressure on his coaching staff and some players.

:clap:

The point is simply to provide his evaluation of the team at the mid-point of the season. He meets with the reporters and provides them the opportunity to learn what he the GM is thinking and allows a period of Q&A as to what he expects for the second half. Nothing more nothing less. As for putting pressure on his coaching staff, not so. He heaped praises on the coaching staff as a group and on the improvement being made by the head coach.

I' m sure it was great for reporters but as a fan I haven't learned anything.

I still dont know what direction he's going to and probably neither does he.

if he wants to do a press conference, let him have it in febuary when he will have traded Ryder for Tampa's 1st rounder(I'm day dreaming!!) or signed streit long term. then we'll know about his direction.

Edited by marky_and_komi

From what he said, it doesn't look like he'll be out searching for a big trade, although he'd of course go for it if it fell in to his lap. He'll be looking for some veteran centerman who can win face-offs, if anyone. Think Brian Smolinski. :zzz:

I' m sure it was great for reporters but as a fan I haven't learned anything.

I still dont know what direction he's going to and probably neither does he.

You learned that if the team doesn't improve in the faceoff circle, he will look to bring someone in.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

From what he said, it doesn't look like he'll be out searching for a big trade, although he'd of course go for it if it fell in to his lap. He'll be looking for some veteran centerman who can win face-offs, if anyone. Think Brian Smolinski. :zzz:

As discussed in a previous thread, face-offs are a little bit of a red-herring stat. Yes, at 48% we're 27th in the league. So in an average game with about 50 face-offs, we are currently winning 24. As of yesterday, a 50% winning percentage (25/50)would have put us in 12th place overall, which I'm sure would be seen as satisfactory. I really hope we don't pull a trade so that we can win one more face-off per game.

And if people really want to make the case that we need someone who can win a face-off in a key situation, Saku is in the top-20 of regular face-off guys (less than one percentage point out of the top 10).