Game Thread | Habs vs. Blackhawks | 08/01/08

Cataclaw

WICKED NHL GAME. :) If the league wants a poster game for the entertaining NHL - this was it! :popcorn:

Good job Canadiens. :hlogo: :clap:

It makes 2 in a row with Washington's one who was an awesome one as well.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's rare to do this, but I want to commend the officials tonight on a solid performance. Yes there were some questionable calls, there always are, but after one of the linesmen was out with injury, the other 3 calmly and cooly sorted things out and did a good job under difficult circumstances for the rest of the game. Hats off to the guys who rarely get recognition for their thankless work.

Hope it's just a cut and nothing serious.. he was dripping blood big time.

Huet settled down after the 3rd goals with a couple of tense moments. Anyone else hate when he tries to overhandle the puck.

Yeah, Huet was good in the third. Those two goals were pretty bad though. And we should tie him to the freakin net, I get a heart attack whenever he goes slowly out wandering with an opposing player on his heels.

What an awesome play for Lapierre in OT! That was maybe the nicest play he's ever made in the NHL. All in all a great game and fun to watch.

WICKED NHL GAME. :)If the league wants a poster game for the entertaining NHL - this was it! :popcorn:

Good job Canadiens. :hlogo: :clap:

WHAT ??!!

the 3rd period was a snoozefest. even the refs put their whistle in their pocket.

:zzz:

shame on Chicago for playing the trap...typical road game.

me and couple of guys were complaining about seeing Lapierre and Latendresse both at the same time on the ice in OT.

Thanks for shutting us up guys, :unsure: Great goal!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

note to bouillon: DO NOT hit Skille the next time you see him. not only wasn't he knocked down, it seemed like it woke him up.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I know most people would love to see the Habs blow out the other team night after night, but there's something to be said about an exciting game, and last night was probably the most entertaining game of the season for me.

Good for the win but the Hawks are impressive even without Toews, Sopel and Williams.

Keith and Seabrook are two of the best young defensemen of the league.

88 of Kane reminds me of the young Sakic in Quebec, great vision.

René Bourque and Patrick Sharp have developped into spectacular players.

Three things are holding them back :Havlat, Lang and Lapointe contracts.

They should try to trade Havlat, they don't need him. He was an *ss in Ottawa

and he is still an *ss today.

Habs would have 2 points less if Savard had Toews, Khabibulin and Sopel in uniform.

Anyway i take those points gladly. Even more with Boston losing and Islanders losing 1 point in shootout.

2 points is 2 points. Thye didn't play poorly but they didn't play good either. Offensively they looked ok, defensively shakey again. Talk about a team standing around and watching. 3 or 4 times they just watched the Hawks player skate around and get a great shot. Here is a tip, it's ok to hit someone in the dzone, it helps you get the puck.

That lineup was too small and soft.

I'm not sure i have seen anyone as scared as Brisbois as far as physical play.

Huet was shakey again. Playing that guy too many games is not a good idea, he always struggles when he plays alot.

those who saw the game, what was your opinion of Locke. Boone wasn't impressed. Just wondering....

I would rate him an F on the night.

His second shift he was soft on the puck in the offsnsieve zone which created the Hawks 1st goal.

He did not throw one hit and only won a single race to the puck he was not creatative.

He is an AHL'er thats it thats all.

I thought the team played well for the most part, but once again had a let down in the early part of the 2nd period to dig themselves a hole. They seem to really struggle with maintaining their pace, or how to deal with a team coming out flying (its called the neutral zone trap to frustrate them, btw).

If Kovalev got an extra bounce or two his way, he would have had a couple goals. If the refs had called some obvious penalties in the 3rd, then the habs would probably won in the 3rd with a PP goal.

As it was, I am glad they pushed hard in the OT and went for the win. Good strategy based on their shootout record. :)

Chicago's speed really made our defense look like idiots a lot. Poor Bouillon didn't know where to go or what to do they were coming so fast.

Brisebois was not good, not good at all. I am in favor of sitting him from now on. Put Streit back on defense and let Brisebois rest his frail little body. What a wimp.

Kovalev was an absolute joy to watch last night.

Higgins was MIA

I love the way Gorges stands up for his team mates. We have two guys with some balls, Gorges and Kostopolous. We need more.

those who saw the game, what was your opinion of Locke. Boone wasn't impressed. Just wondering....

Didn't see anything too special from the kid. He did not see much icetime, but had a tough giveaway on a Chicago goal and poor defensive coverage. Looks on the smallish size, showed some speed, but didn't do much to stand out. Would like to see him with two skilled wingers to see what he could really do, but not sure if he deserves or will get the chance.

Brisebois was not good, not good at all. I am in favor of sitting him from now on. Put Streit back on defense and let Brisebois rest his frail little body. What a wimp.

Oh come on, he wasn't that bad.. even without his goal. Granted i'd rather have Streit on D as well, but Breezer had an OK game (at least from what i saw).

I'll give you this though -- the studiest guy, he is not.

Chicago's speed really made our defense look like idiots a lot. Poor Bouillon didn't know where to go or what to do they were coming so fast.

Kovalev was an absolute joy to watch last night.

Higgins was MIA

I love the way Gorges stands up for his team mates. We have two guys with some balls, Gorges and Kostopolous. We need more.

I would have to absolutely agree that Bouillon looked like a fish out of water last nite. Looked like he belonged in the AHL or in the beer league. He had been playing better, but last nite looked like his normal overmatched self. Though Breezer was OK for his first game back. Kovy was awesome and Higgins ok. Much rather have the youthful Gorges in the lineup instead of Bouillon or even Breezer.

Much rather have the youthful Gorges in the lineup instead of Bouillon or even Breezer.

I definitely agree with you on that one! Anyways, they way I look at it, Breezer won't be back next year, and we aren'T even sure that we'll be able to re-sign Streit(he's a UFA as of July 1st) and If some other team offers him a PERMANENT position on the blue line, he might jump on it(insterad of being fooled around with here in Montreal. Poor guy! He's said it numerous times that he wants to play on the blue line!

Anyways, With Breezer gone, either Gorges or O'Byrne will get a regular spot on the blue line...they'll have to fight it out!

WHAT ??!!

the 3rd period was a snoozefest. even the refs put their whistle in their pocket.

:zzz:

True but it seemed for much of the 3rd both were trying to salvage a point while still attempting to score. One wrong move in the 3rd and one team would have had 2 points and the other team would have none. I think both teams were cautious not to "go for it" with a point on the line if "going for it" led to an odd man rush the other way.

So Marky and Komi, I hear ya but for about 40 to 50 minutes in this game Chicago was lethal. Lethal from the point, in the slot or down low along the boards and so were we. So, by and large IMO - this was like a lower scoring barn burner. Another way of putting this is that is was comparable to the intensity we get with the leefies. That is, by and large.

That is all :D

The fact that Bouillon didn't play a good game last night doesn't apply to every game he plays.

He skates better, does not get caught off position and play physical. Why are you bashing him?

For the last month he's +4 and playing more or less 20 minutes a games.

To compare Hammer has -4, but he plays 3-4 minutes more a game.

Markov is +7 which is great.

The fact that Bouillon didn't play a good game last night doesn't apply to every game he plays.

He skates better, does not get caught off position and play physical. Why are you bashing him?

For the last month he's +4 and playing more or less 20 minutes a games.

To compare Hammer has -4, but he plays 3-4 minutes more a game.

Markov is +7 which is great.

Some people take a dislike to a player and from that point on the player is a bum. Boullion works hard, gives you his best effort on most nights and rarely if ever complains. He is a good 5 and 6 defenceman.

I would rate him an F on the night.

His second shift he was soft on the puck in the offsnsieve zone which created the Hawks 1st goal.

He did not throw one hit and only won a single race to the puck he was not creatative.

He is an AHL'er thats it thats all.

Didn't see anything too special from the kid. He did not see much icetime, but had a tough giveaway on a Chicago goal and poor defensive coverage. Looks on the smallish size, showed some speed, but didn't do much to stand out. Would like to see him with two skilled wingers to see what he could really do, but not sure if he deserves or will get the chance.

Thanks for the info guys... That's what I was afraid, and MFT77, I think you're right. he's in a catch 22 spot because IF he's gonna be good it's gonna be with skilled wingers.