Game Thread | Habs vs. Rangers | 12/01/08

Cataclaw

I consider him our most underrated player. He's one of the only players who actually wins his battles.

I consider him to be one of the only players who's responsible for an oppenent's goal EVERY GAME. Now 3 in a row. Chicago 1rst period, Boston 1rst period and NYR 1rst period. It's worse than Breezer and Souray !

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that we can't see this team for what it is? The result of last night's game was predictible because the NYR know we cannot respond to getting hit hard and often. When that happens we run around and cough up pucks because we are physologically weak and then add a goalie who's also mentally soft, and we run and hide. We play teams like Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, NJ, etc. like we are scared of them, thinking they are better than we are, and you can literally see our confidence evaporate as the game goes on, just like last night . What's the point of getting so excited going 5-0-2 when it's against teams under us? The true test of our mental fortitude is against teams that have around the same # of points or more than us. We keep fooling ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we are good, probably even better, but we aren't killers because we don't believe it ourselves. In last night's game we were getting embarrased physically and had no leadership to respond. Why would Carboneau choose to re-insert Smolinski and Brisebois when we were starting to get it together, to gell as a team, to gain some pride? Why break that team spirit we were creating when we stuck together against Boston's bullying tactics? Carboneau blew it! And yes, for all you naysayers out there, we DO need some toughness on this team, NYR proved it last night. Komisarek can only do so much by himself, it's his type of toughness I'm talking about, not a goon, but players with some b..lls, who can get back in someone's face when they try to push our star players around or intimidate them. Until Gainey can find some Chemistry for this team that considers our lack of mental and physical toughness we will continue to lose to the elite teams and you know what? we shouldn't be losing to them because we CAN beat them, we just don't believe it ourselves. It's about creating respect but we'll never get it if don't respect ourselves first, so until then, I for one am no longer getting excited about beating Boston, NYI, TB, etc. until we show more. I really hate saying this but could it be that we really need some more Canadian blood on this team?

Why is it that we can't see this team for what it is? The result of last night's game was predictible because the NYR know we cannot respond to getting hit hard and often. When that happens we run around and cough up pucks because we are physologically weak and then add a goalie who's also mentally soft, and we run and hide. We play teams like Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, NJ, etc. like we are scared of them, thinking they are better than we are, and you can literally see our confidence evaporate as the game goes on, just like last night . What's the point of getting so excited going 5-0-2 when it's against teams under us? The true test of our mental fortitude is against teams that have around the same # of points or more than us. We keep fooling ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we are good, probably even better, but we aren't killers because we don't believe it ourselves. In last night's game we were getting embarrased physically and had no leadership to respond. Why would Carboneau choose to re-insert Smolinski and Brisebois when we were starting to get it together, to gell as a team, to gain some pride? Why break that team spirit we were creating when we stuck together against Boston's bullying tactics? Carboneau blew it! And yes, for all you naysayers out there, we DO need some toughness on this team, NYR proved it last night. Komisarek can only do so much by himself, it's his type of toughness I'm talking about, not a goon, but players with some b..lls, who can get back in someone's face when they try to push our star players around or intimidate them. Until Gainey can find some Chemistry for this team that considers our lack of mental and physical toughness we will continue to lose to the elite teams and you know what? we shouldn't be losing to them because we CAN beat them, we just don't believe it ourselves. It's about creating respect but we'll never get it if don't respect ourselves first, so until then, I for one am no longer getting excited about beating Boston, NYI, TB, etc. until we show more. I really hate saying this but could it be that we really need some more Canadian blood on this team?

Hey Don Cherry, Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev has been our saving grace for most of the season; Markov was voted to the starting lineup in the East; Streit is instrumental in giving us the best PP in the league and Hamrlik has been a rock defensively ; something neither Souray nor Rivet could provide last season.

In the meantime; good ol' Canadian boys like Ryder, Gorges or Kostopoulos have been non-factors.

This is a young team, mental breakdowns are bound to happen. J

Smolenski and Breezer are really useless washed up players just floating out their final years, trying not to get injured.

Just look at their stats, very soft, no production, minus players (Briesbois manages a -2 despite playing with +8 Hamrlik most of the time).

Edited by Dirty Harry

We play one really bad game and everyone freak out. We CAN play well against better teams. But we will also lose games and have bad nights. We do win games that we really need to win. We beat the panthers to put them 6 points behind us instead of losing and have them 2 points behind us. Same with the Bruins. We lose one important game our of many and everyone freaks out. I bet we will come back in the next game with a big win. GO HABS GO!

(for once Im not the one freaking out :D)

:B)

Agreed, well sort of. Or at least to the fact we could use some deterent.

Question is, how do we entice Emmelin over here? :B)

JoelLassiter, You should atleast be fair when picking on a player (Gorges) out of the 3 goals you stated, Gorges was responsible for only 1, Bouillon had a bad pass, then Koivu didn't exit the zone when he had a chance. So picking on him is fine but atleat be fair. Streit is minus 9, Gorges minus 4 and Markov the allstar minus 3. Not much of a difference except PP points.

Gorges is like the only player who actually jumps in to help a team mate.

I totally agree about the toughness, they are not tough enough, the played tough against the Bruins but unless you can do it every night, you aren't tough.

Oh, and can someone let Koivu know the second halk of the season has started.

The law of averages dictates we will lose a game every now and then.

After a 7-game point streak, we were bound to have a bad game. Let's not freak out... 2008 is off to a great start.

Remember, people. Remember. Remember the season to date, and don't focus just on the last game.

JoelLassiter, You should atleast be fair when picking on a player (Gorges) out of the 3 goals you stated, Gorges was responsible for only 1, Bouillon had a bad pass, then Koivu didn't exit the zone when he had a chance. So picking on him is fine but atleat be fair. Streit is minus 9, Gorges minus 4 and Markov the allstar minus 3. Not much of a difference except PP points.

Gorges is like the only player who actually jumps in to help a team mate.

I totally agree about the toughness, they are not tough enough, the played tough against the Bruins but unless you can do it every night, you aren't tough.

Oh, and can someone let Koivu know the second halk of the season has started.

I'm fair, i think he brings nothing to the game, he OFTEN forget to check his man in the slot, weak passes at least once a game and no offense. That sucks. Oh and he's not even as physical as Bouillon.

Looks like I was lucky to have missed this game(was at a restaurant, and there was no TV) so... I missed the game. But In Any case, I don't think we need to panic here. The Boys lost a game, so what!

Let's see how they do on the rest of this road trip(next 2 games vs. NYI, and Atl) and then we can judge the road trip!

BY the way, Price gave up 5 goals on less than 15 shots in Hamilton on saturday night...ouch! I hope this kids' confidence isn't shot!

Edited by Habsfan

Well, Smolinski's kind of the prime example why you don't give 35 year old journeymen no-trade clauses. But, on the other hand, it's not like a team would trade anything for him at this point - maybe a late round pick. I just think that Gainey did a poor talent evaluation on this guy, his stats were decent last season but he seems like he's on a major decline in his game.

The coaching/management seem to think he would slide into a checking role a la Bonk, which is why he's on the PK so often, but the guy is miscast in that role, and has been primarily more of a third line playmaker in his career (although his offensive production hasnt been much this year, either).