HABS CLINCH EAST!

SAKS-AVENUE

This is a pep rally. Only people that think we can do it can post. For those of you that don't believe? don't even think about posting. There are plenty of other threads for you to whine about a change. A change may be coming......but in case it doesn't, we still have a team that can do some damage.

Ottawa is in trouble right now and we need to CAPITALIZE..............................

Who's with me?

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Kingston resident, I'd love to have something to throw in the Sens' fans faces (and they are aplenty). And I'm always down for gaining points, regardless of who we are chasing.

GO HABS GO!!!

I am very happy to see some support. Let's watch this list grow in the coming weeks as the bandwagon grows.

With Allfie and Heatley gone and Spezza hurtin this teams weakness will be exposed. All of the sudden they look below average as a team.

Pounce on the wounded!!!!!!! I smell blood!

On the HW front page poll, I can't understand how "winning the division" wasn't a runaway winner.

Maybe because 1st would mean home ice disadvantage. :lol:

But yeah, win some games! Make it interesting!

Eric Desjardins has a column about this exact same topic in today's Sports Section of LaPresse. I haven't read it yet, but I'll try to find the aticle online and post it here (if I can find it) It'll be in French, but I'll do my best to translate it for you ladies! ;)

Edited by Habsfan

On the HW front page poll, I can't understand how "winning the division" wasn't a runaway winner.

Maybe because 1st would mean home ice disadvantage. :lol:

But yeah, win some games! Make it interesting!

to get to the first place would mean for montreal to win plenty of home game, thus making it of force once again.

I agree that we should push foward but I wouldn't overpay to make it. in a year or two we'll be a force in the division.

My personal opinion on this subject is that it CAN be done. The Habs'll need to play almost perfect hockey. The Sens will need to have their injured players remain injured for a little while longer, and the Habs will need some lucky nights. If they worlk hard enough for it, I think there's a slim chance that they could pull it off.

Look at it this way, if the Habs win tonight they'll be only 6 points behind the hens with 34 games to go. The Hens goaltending is looking more and more shaky. Emery is a nutcase and Gerber has been known to choke late in the year or in the Playoffs (anyone remember the 2006 playoffs!?!?!)

Here's the Article I was talking about earlier by Eric Desjardins.

Le mardi 22 janvier 2008

Rejoindre Ottawa

Catching Ottawa

Éric Desjardins

La Presse

Maintenant que le Canadien semble bien en selle pour réaliser son objectif de participer aux séries éliminatoires, il doit trouver de nouvelles sources de motivation d'ici la fin de la saison.

Now that the Canadiens seem to be in a good position to make the playoffs, the team needs to find new sources to motivate its players before the end of the season.

Parce qu'une fois le but atteint (ou presque) plus tôt que prévu, un club n'est jamais à l'abri d'un relâchement. Les saisons sont tellement longues. Et il reste, justement, plusieurs semaines de hockey.

Because once you have attained your goals (almost) earlier than expected, a hockey team is never immune to a let-down. The seasons are so long and this season still has lots of hockey left to be played

Ça va peut-être paraître gros ce que je dis, mais les joueurs du Canadien doivent maintenant viser le premier rang de l'Association. Je regarde le classement, ils sont à huit points seulement des Sénateurs et ils vont les affronter cinq fois d'ici la fin de l'année.

What I'm about to say might sound like it's too much, but I believe that the Montreal Canadiens players' should aim for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. I look at the standings, and the Canadiens are 8 points behind the Senators, and both teams will play each other 5 more times this season.

Les Sénateurs sont privés de Dany Heatley et ça leur fait mal et, en plus, il semble y avoir un malaise au sein de cette équipe. Le problème du gardien Ray Emery, qui est en conflit avec plusieurs de ses coéquipiers, est loin d'être réglé. Il y a aussi Antoine Vermette qui semble malheureux à Ottawa. C'est dur de répéter. On voit rarement la même équipe atteindre la finale deux ans de suite.

The Senators don'T have Dany Heatly, and it's starting to hurt more and more for the team. There is a certain "malaise" on this team. Ray Emery seems to be a problem, he seems to be at odds with his teammates on a number of occasions. There is also Antoine vermette who doesn't seem to be happy in Ottawa. It's very hard to repeat. Very rarely do we see teams go to the Finals two years in a row.

Le succès du Canadien est solide, surtout avec trois défenseurs comme Andrei Markov, Mike Komisarek et Roman Hamrlik capables de relancer l'attaque et fiables dans leur territoire. Je ne vois pas cette équipe s'écrouler. Cristobal Huet est solide lui aussi et l'équipe va vivre ou mourir avec lui.

The success the Canadiens are currently experiencing seems to be solid. With 3 quality defensemen (Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik) who are capable of helping out offensively as well as being really good d-men in their own zone. I don't think this team will choke like it did last year. Christobal Huet is solid in nets and the team will live or die with him as their number 1 goalie this year.

Huet, en plus, respire mieux avec le départ de Carey Price. Je suis totalement d'accord avec cette décision d'avoir renvoyé le jeune gardien à Hamilton. Il a encore beaucoup de choses à apprendre. Sa réaction, après sa défaite contre Washington, alors qu'il semblait inconsolable dans le vestiaire, a montré sa fragilité.

Huet also seems to be breathing a little better since Price was sent down to Hamilton. I agree with Bob Gainey's decision to send the young goalie back to Hamilton. He still has quite a few things to learn. His reaction after the Loss to Washington showed how fragile he could be mentally(emotionally)

Je parle de revoir les objectifs à la hausse parce que notre entraîneur Ken Hitchcock à Philadelphie était maître à ce petit jeu. On avait toujours des clubs prometteurs et nous étions toujours bien placés au classement à quelques mois de la fin de la saison. Le calendrier était examiné et on faisait en sorte qu'il n'y ait pas de soirs de relâchement. On trouvait des moyens de se motiver selon les adversaires qu'on affrontait. Hitchcock avait toujours le don de nous pousser continuellement pour qu'on donne notre maximum. C'était un homme vrai qui arrivait toujours à te pousser à te questionner pour te garder sur le qui-vive.

The reason I bring this topic up is because our coach, Ken Hitchcock, used to do the same thing in Philadelphia. He would play little games with the players. We always had pretty good teams and we always had good position in the stantings towards the end of the season. We would look at the calender, and we would make sure nobody took a night off. We would try to find new ways to motivate ourselves according to the opponent we would be facing that evening. Hitchcock had this ability to continually motivate us and to push us to give it our best. He was a good man who managed to continually push his players to the maximum.

Maintenant, si le Canadien se met à la chasse des Sénateurs, il faut être bien sûr que le message est capté par tout le monde dans le vestiaire. On se souvient qu'un important leader de l'équipe avait déclaré avant la saison que le club allait participer aux séries, mais qu'il ne fallait pas croire à la Coupe Stanley...

If the Canadiens start chasing after the Senators, we have to make sure that every player in the dressing room understands the overall message. WE all remember how an important leader on this team had said in the preseason that the Habs could make it to the playoffs, but they shouldn't go and believe that the Stanley Cup is actually attainable...

Propos recueillis par Mathias Brunet

Edited by Habsfan

Eric Desjardins has a column about this exact same topic in today's Sports Section of LaPresse. I haven't read it yet, but I'll try to find the aticle online and post it here (if I can find it) It'll be in French, but I'll do my best to translate it for you ladies! ;)

I've been writing Let's catch the Sens in game threads for weeks now. I think we should be even closer then 8 pts but unfortunately we stumbled as well during the last Ottawa slump. We must play hard now, as if it's the end of the season and take them.

Thanks for the translation....I can't help but notice at the end he takes a little dig at Saks. I thought Saks said "On paper we don't look like a contender, but if we make the play-offs anything can happen" Where does Eric get the cup is not attainable part? Anyways, besides that little part at the end, good article. It's where my heads at and I'd bet my last dollar the Habs dressing room knows what is at stake here.

Strong effort in Beantown TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I kind of wish it was Beantown. No time like the present to start winning at home, right?

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Thanks for the translation....I can't help but notice at the end he takes a little dig at Saks. I thought Saks said "On paper we don't look like a contender, but if we make the play-offs anything can happen" Where does Eric get the cup is not attainable part?

I had read in the Papaers that Koivu had said that the Playoffs were attainable , but that we shouldn't hold our breaths for the Stanley Cup. Hence, why Desjardins took a little jab at Saku.

Alfie says he's playing tonight in Florida. How long does a Hip Flexor usually keep someone out? Hopefully he'll just make it worse by coming back too soon.

1 day to a couple of weeks depending on how bad it is.

What the hell is a hip flexor anyway?

Taken from Wikipedia:

In human anatomy, the hip flexors are a group of muscles (including the iliopsoas which passes through the pelvis) that act to flex the femur onto the lumbo-pelvic complex :wacko:

Taken from Wikipedia:

In human anatomy, the hip flexors are a group of muscles (including the iliopsoas which passes through the pelvis) that act to flex the femur onto the lumbo-pelvic complex :wacko:

It seems to be a common NHL injury and not serious, but man I was hoping Allfie would be out a little longer.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND

GO FLORIDA GO!!!!!!!!!!

SENS LOSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLORIDA 6

OTTAWA 3

MONTREAL 8

BOSTON 2

6 POINTS BACK AND A GAME IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on boys you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news! Now let's hope our boys can walk into Jersey, and Kill teh Devils. AS much as we seem to enjoy beating up on the Bruins, It would be nice to see the Habs finally get a damn win in New jersey!