Game Thread | Habs vs. Devils | 24/01/08

Cataclaw

Koivu is the best player the habs have had for easily 7-8 years now.

Funny how people have to crank up the Way Back Machine to defend Koivu this season. But I'll tell you this: the 7-8 years that Koivu has been "the best player the Habs have had" have probably been the 7-8 worst years in the team's past 7 decades. He was maybe not well-surrounded, but he also didn't drag the team pretty far.

He probably the main reason the habs made the playoffs during those long years. They guy has a rough time and people immediatly say he sucks and then insult what he has done for this franchise? I don't care if someone has 10000 posts on some damn board open your eyes.

He didn't factor in too much when the Habs made an upset playoff appearance in 01-02 since he was out all season with cancer. I recall a certain Hart & Vezina winner did carry us into the playoffs and an upset win over the Bruins... Before that, the team missed the playoffs 3 times; and since twice. So saved for his first 3 seasons in the NHL when he had no pressure (Turgeon, Recchi, Damphousse, Rucinsky, Corson were the go-to guys), Koivu had a grand total of 2 playoffs in 7 years; 1 of which he didn't even play in the regular season.

Koivu has always been pass first, now that Ryder has crapped the bed and Higgins isn't carrying his weight things aren't going well. The first line needs a change and the problem sure as hell isn't Koivu. Koivu is the reason Ryder has done anything these last two years, the guy is so one dimensional you'd swear he needed to have headphones on with a track telling him to breathe aswell as shoot.

They tried just about everyone with Koivu this year and nothing happened. He even sucks on the PP where he has all the space and time in the world to "pass first".

Face it; this year Koivu is pulling a Kovalev of last season, minus the mediatic controversy. Let's just hope next season Koivu pulls a Kovalev of this year. Because face it: this is Kovy's team now.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, if Begin got a penalty for his soft hit, then about 3 devils should have gone to the box after that last shift....

and woot... tied it up.. wow...

How much a home town call brings it back

Hows it feel to know the guy you were ripping on just made you look stupid?

Yeah, that made him look stupid. Give me a break.

It will take more than 1 goal to change the fact that he is playing poorly.