I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

I think that Gainey is gonna keep Huet around until the last possible second. If Huet is not signed by trade deadline and they are far off I think Gainey may try to deal him simple because you can't risk losing him to free agency. Quiet frankly the Habs are most likely going to make the playoffs which means Huet is going to want a raise so either sign him now or trade him. I am not saying trade Huet because we have Price but think about off-season!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider that theoretically there's 30 STARTING goalies, 13 is most definitely a middle of the pack STARTER. Backup goalies, the other 30 goalies, stand very little chance to be chosen as all stars...if they did, they'd be in the top 30 as starters. Damn, I think I just confused myself ^_^

Right. He is a pretty average NHL starter which is proven since not one person has disagreed that there seem to be atleast a dozen better goalies in the league.

Gainey is not going to trade him though, he'll probably even re-sign him but he isn't the guy to lead us to a Stanley Cup. For all we know, we could still win a Cup with him, but it wouldn't be him leading us. Price, on the other hand, is a guy who can lead our team to a Cup someday (probably not yet).

There are so many posts like this so I just quoted this one.

Here is a list of goalies I would rather have than Huet - tell me which ones you guys disagree with:

Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Nabokov, Turco, Vokoun, Hasek, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen, DiPietro, Lundqvist and possibly Ryan Miller as well. That would make Huet the 13th or 14th best goalie in the league, the exact definition of "middle-of-the-pack".

If someone is to say that Huet is "easily" a top 10 goalie, which 4-5 of the guys from the above list is he better than?

Take out Vokoun, Hasek, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen and Dipietro. He is in the same league as those if not better. So he is guaranteed in the top 15 and in the top 5-10 depending on the week. Any team would love to have him at his current price and we got him for next to nothing.

When Price actually proves something in the NHL other then his ability to be fawned over by grown men and his bad taste in mask design then we can talk.

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Take out Vokoun, Hasek, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen and Dipietro. He is in the same league as those if not better. So he is guaranteed in the top 15 and in the top 5-10 depending on the week. Any team would love to have him at his current price and we got him for next to nothing.

When Price actually proves something in the NHL other then his ability to be fawned over by grown men and his bad taste in mask design then we can talk.

When Huet wins a playoff series and makes the playoffs more than once then maybe I will invest 4-5M in a 33 year old goalie.

Right. He is a pretty average NHL starter which is proven since not one person has disagreed that there seem to be atleast a dozen better goalies in the league.

Gainey is not going to trade him though, he'll probably even re-sign him but he isn't the guy to lead us to a Stanley Cup. For all we know, we could still win a Cup with him, but it wouldn't be him leading us. Price, on the other hand, is a guy who can lead our team to a Cup someday (probably not yet).

Only a few of your goalies in that list have a better save percentage then Huet over the last 3 years. Last year was not a great year and he was still 11th. The year before he was first in the league. This year he has been in the top 10 most of the year. I no one will ever convince me that he is sitting behind a great defensive team that limits the shots to the outside... LOL

I am not sure what you proved, only that you think those guys are better then Huet. I don't, at least at this particular point in time. but we are all entitled to our opinion.

I can't believe anyone can suggest that Price is ready now, or Halak. If Gainey dumps Huet at the trade deadline, then Gainey is basically telling the team he isn't serious about the cup run this year (not that we are contenders, but everyone has a shot).

Since goalies have very little value, we won't get much of anything at the deadline for Huet, so we are not losing much by keeping him for the remainder of the season. At that point, whether we sign him or not will be based on two things.. his performance and how big other offers are. That is always a gamble, you just never know.

I forgot the team was called the Montreal Huets!

I guess that is what the CH really stands for hey?

Well, I didn't know they were called the New Jersey Brodeur's, or the Colorado Roy's.

WTF is your point? If they have a stat that gives them credit for wins, then it is one of the categories

they are judged on. If you want to fight that to, then go ahead.

But Huet has never won a playoff series, he has never played more than 42 games and has been to the playoffs

once in his career at the age of 32. And of course, somehow Huet supporters turn the fact that he was not

good enough for the NHL until he was 28 as a positive for him.

I don't take shots at Huet other to poke holes in the argument that he is a great goalie.

He is a middle of the pack goalie who when he is great looks elite, but when he is bad he looks just as bad.

He is not going to get any better than he is. He is at the tail end of his prime.

I am more than happy with him at 2-3M a year, for that money I can live with his deficincies.

But if he is going to be paid top dollar he has to be better than he is right now.

That is unlikely to happen, hence why I am more than happy to say goodbye.

Well, I didn't know they were called the New Jersey Brodeur's, or the Colorado Roy's.

WTF is your point? If they have a stat that gives them credit for wins, then it is one of the categories

they are judged on. If you want to fight that to, then go ahead.

But Huet has never won a playoff series, he has never played more than 42 games and has been to the playoffs

once in his career at the age of 32. And of course, somehow Huet supporters turn the fact that he was not

good enough for the NHL until he was 28 as a positive for him.

I don't take shots at Huet other to poke holes in the argument that he is a great goalie.

He is a middle of the pack goalie who when he is great looks elite, but when he is bad he looks just as bad.

He is not going to get any better than he is. He is at the tail end of his prime.

I am more than happy with him at 2-3M a year, for that money I can live with his deficincies.

But if he is going to be paid top dollar he has to be better than he is right now.

That is unlikely to happen, hence why I am more than happy to say goodbye.

The point is it isn't the goalie that gets you into the playoffs or wins rounds it is the other 20 or so players. By your own reasoning Luongo was a mediocre goalie until he finally made the playoffs last year. I wouldnt want to pay Huet 4-5 million either but he is a top 10 goalie and it's about time you realized that or back off other peoples opinion.

The guy can lead the league in save% and wamsley will still be here pouting about how he isn't Roy.

I bet you would love to say goodbye and put price in there but he hasn't proven a damn thing yet that would let him be anymore than a backup. Don't take it so personal when the obvious is stated about Price.

Huet is the starter, he will be the starter next year, it's time you opened your eyes and realized it.

Only a few of your goalies in that list have a better save percentage then Huet over the last 3 years. Last year was not a great year and he was still 11th. The year before he was first in the league. This year he has been in the top 10 most of the year. I no one will ever convince me that he is sitting behind a great defensive team that limits the shots to the outside... LOL

I am not sure what you proved, only that you think those guys are better then Huet. I don't, at least at this particular point in time. but we are all entitled to our opinion.

I can't believe anyone can suggest that Price is ready now, or Halak. If Gainey dumps Huet at the trade deadline, then Gainey is basically telling the team he isn't serious about the cup run this year (not that we are contenders, but everyone has a shot).

Since goalies have very little value, we won't get much of anything at the deadline for Huet, so we are not losing much by keeping him for the remainder of the season. At that point, whether we sign him or not will be based on two things.. his performance and how big other offers are. That is always a gamble, you just never know.

Save percentage does not indicate an elite level goalie

Go create an argument that shows that Roman Cechmanek was a better goalie than Martin Brodeur from 2001-2003.

During that time Cechmanek had a Save Percentage of .921, .921 and .925. He had 92 Wins and a 1.96 GAA

Brodeur's numbers were .906, .906 and .914. He had 121 Wins and a 2.16 GAA.

Cechmanek, won 1 playoff series.

Brodeur won 7 playoff series, a Stanley Cup and an Eastern Conference Championship. He also won an Olympic Gold Medal.

In those 3 years the Flyers lost 5 less games than New Jersey over 246 games. Over those same 246 games Philly gave up 13 more goals.

So somebody please explain to me why one team won 1 playoff series and the other team won 7 with 2 Cup appearances.

Does not Philly have the superior goaltending? Cechmanek has the better stats. They had a similar Winning Percentage

Brodeur's was .587, Cechmanek's was .566.

I still have not heard an argument that shows me how Cechmanek was a good NHL goalie. The stats say he was.

Nor have I heard an argument indicating how Tim Thomas, Wade Dubielewicz, Manny Fernandez, Manny Legace,

Chris Mason and Martin Gerber are great goalies. All own great career Save percentages.

Edited by Wamsley01

The point is it isn't the goalie that gets you into the playoffs or wins rounds it is the other 20 or so players. By your own reasoning Luongo was a mediocre goalie until he finally made the playoffs last year. I wouldnt want to pay Huet 4-5 million either but he is a top 10 goalie and it's about time you realized that or back off other peoples opinion.

The guy can lead the league in save% and wamsley will still be here pouting about how he isn't Roy.

I bet you would love to say goodbye and put price in there but he hasn't proven a damn thing yet that would let him be anymore than a backup. Don't take it so personal when the obvious is stated about Price.

Huet is the starter, he will be the starter next year, it's time you opened your eyes and realized it.

Read my previous post. Instead of your conjecture I would appreciate you making a solid argument

as to why those goalies are good please. Otherwise, you are just a loudmouth who likes to hear and

read his own posts.

I have never stated Price is better, I said he will be better. I said he is the future, I said I think he is not

far from Huet's level. I also have stated a million times that if the Habs can sign Huet for 2 years or less

that I would be happy with that. Unlike you I am able to seperate all of the things that go into the situation.

This is a SALARY CAP issue for me, I have stated this a million times. But that is not what you do, you like

to pick apart the smallest thing and make fun instead of breaking down an argument in a thought provoking manner.

My best guess is instead of taking 15 minutes to form a solid rebuttal you will spend an hour going through the archives

to find the 1 occurence where I may have stated that Price was better and quote it to try to embarass me.

That is your style.

Edited by Wamsley01

OK, just like the Flyers would not make the playoffs.

Read my previous post. Instead of your conjecture I would appreciate you making a solid argument

as to why those goalies are good please. Otherwise, you are just a loudmouth who likes to hear and

read his own posts.

I have never stated Price is better, I said he will be better. I said he is the future, I said I think he is not

far from Huet's level. I also have stated a million times that if the Habs can sign Huet for 2 years or less

that I would be happy with that. Unlike you I am able to seperate all of the things that go into the situation.

This is a SALARY CAP issue for me, I have stated this a million times. But that is not what you do, you like

to pick apart the smallest thing and make fun instead of breaking down an argument in a thought provoking manner.

My best guess is instead of taking 15 minutes to form a solid rebuttal you will spend an hour going through the archives

to find the 1 occurence where I may have stated that Price was better and quote it to try to embarass me.

That is your style.

Whats this have to do with the flyers? I could go into it but you would probably still whine and moan and throw out a bunch of useless stats and it would go on forever. Then you would have some lame jabs at me being mean and so on and so forth.

Maybe we are just having a failure to communicate, I say Huet is a fine #1, better then most other goalies in the league. You seem to run Huet down on his inexperience every chance you get while touting a completely unproven prospect. I think he is worth 4 million max, maybe 3.5 max.

Price "will" be better maybe. You have no idea so that is really worthless. If you feel embarassment on a public site where everyone is completely anonymous maybe you have some sort of issues you need to deal with. I toned this post down so as not to embarrass you.

Whats this have to do with the flyers? I could go into it but you would probably still whine and moan and throw out a bunch of useless stats and it would go on forever. Then you would have some lame jabs at me being mean and so on and so forth.

Maybe we are just having a failure to communicate, I say Huet is a fine #1, better then most other goalies in the league. You seem to run Huet down on his inexperience every chance you get while touting a completely unproven prospect. I think he is worth 4 million max, maybe 3.5 max.

Price "will" be better maybe. You have no idea so that is really worthless. If you feel embarassment on a public site where everyone is completely anonymous maybe you have some sort of issues you need to deal with. I toned this post down so as not to embarrass you.

To much work for you eh. I figured as much.

My post was about a legitimate Save Percentage question or how it relates to a goalie who

had inferior stats across the board yet got superior results. I showed over a 3 season span that their teams were fairly evenly matched.

This was brought up because you said that it is not the Montreal Huet's.

So why does Cechmanek with a comparable team not win? Is this not a legit comparison? Why not humour me and explain it?

Why not humour me and explain why all those goalies with great Save percentages are good and Cam Ward is a fluke.

Is this to much work? It would be much easier to just toss out nonsense wouldn't it.

Pretty much.

And BTW check my profile or go on the facebook group. I am not anonymous. My name is on facebook and my picture is in my profile.

I listed where I am from, I listed my birthdate. Speak for yourself Mr. anonymous. But if you had checked my profile you would have known these things.

But once again, conjecture is your strong suit.

Edited by Wamsley01

To much work for you eh. I figured as much.

Yeah, what I posted was about the Flyers. Not about a legitimate Save Percentage question or how it relates to a goalie who

had inferior stats across the board yet got superior results. I showed over a 3 season span that their teams were fairly evenly matched.

This was brought up because you said that it is not the Montreal Huet's.

So why does Cechmanek with a comparable team not win? Is this not a legit comparison? Why not humour me and explain it?

Why not humour me and explain why all those goalies with great Save percentages are good and Cam Ward is a fluke.

Is this to much work? It would be much easier to just toss out nonsense wouldn't it.

Pretty much.

And BTW check my profile or go on the facebook group. I am not anonymous. My name is on facebook and my picture is in my profile.

I listed where I am from, I listed my birthdate. Speak for yourself Mr. anonymous. But if you had checked my profile you would have known these things.

But once again, conjecture is your strong suit.

I can never resist when you cry and play the victim. :lol:

Are you really going to make me read through your long and monotonous posts full of stats that as soon as they go against you that you instantly throw out your favourite line "you know stats can say whatever you want them to".

Where you are from and your personal information is completely irrelevant and if all I am saying is nonsense why would you feel embarrassed? I must have struck a cord, maybe it is the man crush thing you have for little carey that bothered you.

I have already explained why Theodore and Ward are flashes in the pan but you dragged out the conversation till it died and I am not going into it again. And comparing two teams that have entirely different styles of play is ludicrous and there is no way to cover all the variables.

When Huet is resigned and Price is backup next year aswell you can come back in here and whine and moan and we can go through this all again if you'd like. :lol:

I can never resist when you cry and play the victim. :lol:

Are you really going to make me read through your long and monotonous posts full of stats that as soon as they go against you that you instantly throw out your favourite line "you know stats can say whatever you want them to".

Where you are from and your personal information is completely irrelevant and if all I am saying is nonsense why would you feel embarrassed? I must have struck a cord, maybe it is the man crush thing you have for little carey that bothered you.

I have already explained why Theodore and Ward are flashes in the pan but you dragged out the conversation till it died and I am not going into it again. And comparing two teams that have entirely different styles of play is ludicrous and there is no way to cover all the variables.

When Huet is resigned and Price is backup next year aswell you can come back in here and whine and moan and we can go through this all again if you'd like. :lol:

Stats can say what you want them to. And when people post them I do this really novel thing. I give a rebuttal to what they wrote,

challenging those stats. You should try it some time.

How did you explain Ward was a flash in the pan? Can you repost it for me please.

If you are talking about you referencing his Save Percentage in this thread I am pretty impressed.

It is why I am asking you to explain the disparity. I am attempting to cast doubt on save percentage being the be all and end all of stats.

Erase the doubt I am trying to create. Challenge what I said.

Three posts later you still have not answered my question. But like I said 3 posts ago, you would not. And guess what, you didn't.

Two teams seperated by less than 2 wins per year and 4 goals against and 10 goals for per year compared over 3 years is a ludicrous comparison.

Two teams who play in the same division, facing the same schedule. Outrageous comparison. LOL

Keep it coming

Edited by Wamsley01

Mind-boggling.

How can anyone who wins the Stanley Cup be considered a flash in the pan? Why not go over to Gilbert Dionne's house and tell him he was a flash in the pan. While you talk, you might notice him fingering a rather gaudy gold, diamond-encrusted ring...

But I understand the confusion in the 'New NHL' over taking something wholly arbitrary and unimportant as, say, wins, as just an inferior measure of competence. Like baseball - clearly the best pitcher every year is the ERA leader. Right, Jack Morris?

Who would you rather have in a game 7? Ward, with his admittedly worse stats, or Huet? (Using Brodeur here is unfair). I'll take Ward, because he is a proven winner, and hasn't 100% gone to seed, like Theo, Joseph, Khabibulin.

Huet is a great guy, and a pretty good goalie with fantastic tools...but doesn't seem to have that edge, that winning mind-set. Maybe that's the biggest thing that kept him from the NHL for so long. God knows, I'd love for him to prove me wrong and win 5 Cups with us - hell, even one!

Anyway, what's really going on here is Wamsley argues that because of

a) the salary cap

b) the outstanding potential of Price ( and maybe even Halak as well)

we shouldn't lock ourselves into a four-year, 5m per deal with Huet. I tend to agree. Even if Price doesn't pan out, it just doesn't feel like Huet is going to be the big-time #1 pimp you need to backstop our way to the very top.

By the way OSM, your point about goalies not winning playoff rounds...err, 86?

Anyway, what's really going on here is Wamsley argues that because of

a) the salary cap

b) the outstanding potential of Price ( and maybe even Halak as well)

we shouldn't lock ourselves into a four-year, 5m per deal with Huet. I tend to agree. Even if Price doesn't pan out, it just doesn't feel like Huet is going to be the big-time #1 pimp you need to backstop our way to the very top.

I also agree. I've said before, we should not sign Huet to anything more than a 2 year deal at 4 milliion per season.

I also agree. I've said before, we should not sign Huet to anything more than a 2 year deal at 4 milliion per season.

I would be fine with that, but I don't expect that will happen.

Edited by Wamsley01

Who would you rather have in a game 7? Ward, with his admittedly worse stats, or Huet? (Using Brodeur here is unfair). I'll take Ward, because he is a proven winner, and hasn't 100% gone to seed, like Theo, Joseph, Khabibulin.

By the way OSM, your point about goalies not winning playoff rounds...err, 86?

Who would you rather have in game 7, Ward or Luongo? Geez Luongo sure has some shitty playoff stats, only 5 wins and 7 losses and only one playoff run that guy is terrible. Wow Ward is god he has won a cup! Sure he hasn't done much of anything since but if Whammer thinks its a good choice do it up.

WHOOPTEE DO :lol:

Whammer I am not gonna get back into the same boring argument with you if your just going to forget the whole thing again like an alzheimers patient.

And Tokyo ofcourse there is an exception to every rule, but if you want to get technical how many cups were decidedly won with a single goaltender and how many were decided by the 20 or so guys in front of him and then you will realize how silly you look.

The thread should be back on track, Huet should be signed for 2-3 years at around 3.5 million would be great. That deal would make him very attractive to any other team, hell even 4 million per and lots of team would gladly snap him up if Price takes that last step and makes himself starter quality.

There now you can have your Price lovefest Whammer. :clap:

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Who would you rather have in game 7, Ward or Luongo?

Thats a tough question I think I would take Ward though.

I know Luongo won his game 7 last year against Dallas but the next round

Luongo is 4-4 in one goal games in the playoffs.

Ward is 10-5 in one goal games where he started.

That is a very telling stat.

Thats a tough question I think I would take Ward though.

I know Luongo won his game 7 last year against Dallas but the next round

Luongo is 4-4 in one goal games in the playoffs.

Ward is 10-5 in one goal games where he started.

That is a very telling stat.

Except one played for Vancouver that relied on him, and the other played for Carolina that has great timely scoring.

Winning is not all about goaltenders. For all we know, if Luongo played in the 90s for NJ, he might have had 7 cups. :)

In any case, the debate is really about signing or not signing, as people have said.

I am in the camp that you have to sign him, or sign someone else. I don't think Price is ready and until he proves he is ready I am not willing to just HOPE he is. Second, I don't see signing Huet to a 4 year deal is locking us to Huet. Has no body here ever heard of "TRADING" a player.

Worse case scenario is that you put him through waivers. If we can trade away Theo, we can trade Huet. If he isn't spectacular, he is at least a fairly consistent performer over the last few years.

To me this comes down to one simple fact. Some people here view our rookies as the next great player (Lats, Pleks, Higgins, Kost, Price). One or two of them may in fact turn out to be complete studs, but a few of them will also end up mediocre. If you asked last year, Higgins was way ahead of Pleks, this year, Higgins is struggling. Lats last year was the next great power forward, this year, most agree he has some flaws and needs more seasoning in the minors and a skating coach.

Price has had several opportunities this year to STEAL the starters job. He hasn't done it. He has worse stats in all categories then Huet. Sure, maybe next year he is the next Brodeur, but it is just as likely that he will need two or three years as a backup before he really gets his groove going.

If this team is really going to take a shot at the cup in the next two years, I don't think paying $5M for a steady goalie is that big a risk. There are plenty of places you could trim our budget first.

Edited by brobin

Worse case scenario is that you put him through waivers. If we can trade away Theo, we can trade Huet. If he isn't spectacular, he is at least a fairly consistent performer over the last few years.

To me, the bottom line is; If you can't sign him for a reasonable and fair raise (4 mil or under), you need to trade him for something, anything rather than lose him for free at seasons end. Trading him at 4 mil would not be hard, trading him at 7 would be impossible. Like it or not, Theo had a Vezina, a Hart and a couple of good playoff runs. Also he was only 28 when traded. Huet is 32 and has no real awards and no playoff success...trading him at 6-7 mil would be a miracle.

I just want to say that I can't believe people are putting Ward in the same class as Luongo. Come on, I live in Vancouver and there is one and only one reason the Canucks, when healthy, are something like contenders: and he's not named Trevor Linden, put it that way. It's impossible to prove, but I suspect that Huet could have won the Cup playing behind what was a pretty solid Carolina team. Luongo has struggled of late but the bottom line is that he's in the top 3.

I just want to say that I can't believe people are putting Ward in the same class as Luongo. Come on, I live in Vancouver and there is one and only one reason the Canucks, when healthy, are something like contenders: and he's not named Trevor Linden, put it that way. It's impossible to prove, but I suspect that Huet could have won the Cup playing behind what was a pretty solid Carolina team. Luongo has struggled of late but the bottom line is that he's in the top 3.

Personally I don't claim that Ward is the best because he won a cup. I just think it is premature to write it off as a fluke at 23 years old.

I also think it is ridiculous to minimize his accomplishments because he has had a low save percentage in the following 2 years. That is all when it comes to Ward for me.

I think Luongo is the best right now, but it is not because of stats. It is because 95% of the games I watch he is the best player on the ice.

Not in the net. On the ice. Dominant to the level that when one gets by him you wonder how it happened. Like Hasek in the late 90s.

I bring up guys like Cechmanek because he had great stats and was TERRIBLE. I don't view things through stats alone, Huet is a good goalie.

To me, that is all. He is in the 10-20 range. From what I have seen.

I bring up stats and manipulate them because that is how everybody quantifies Huet's greatness. But there are a ton of bad goalies with good stats.

And there always will be. There is a reason they give out the Jennings trophy instead of just the Vezina now. Because guys like Bob Sauve, Don Edwards,

Dennis Herron, Bunny Laraque and Richard Sevigny were winning Vezina trophies.

As long as people base their whole argument about Huet being top 10 because he is a yearly contender for the Crozier award I will continue to bring up the dregs

of the league who have a high save percentage.

You're manipulating these stats and relying too much on Huet's great save percentage. There is more to sports than just numbers.