Arguments about Koivu

SAKS-AVENUE

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd thing is..... that is the same complaint out of Calgary with Tanguay.

What's the difference then?

He's 5 years younger and has way better career stats!

He's 5 years younger and has way better career stats!

LOL way better stats eh? Alex has a .89 points per game avg for his career, and Saku is at .82 while his numbers are a little better lets not forget that tanguay has played a good portion of his career with Sakic and Hejduk. And now he's playing with Iggy. Who has Saku played with over the years? Brian Savage, Michael Ryder, and he still had the best season of his career last year with Streit on his wing for a good portion of the season.

I don't think Koivu will ever leave Montreal.

Who'd want him? He's small, has just played a few full seasons and has never got far in the playoff. Sure he's been captain of the weakest version of the Habs, but I have a hard time seeing that he would atract much atention on the market.

if any scout saw Ryder play yesterday they would conclude he has no value!!! Higgins and Koivu were sort of making things work last night they just needed a mediocre winger to make them work like shoot the puck on the net not over the glass!! Mediocre has trade value, but Ryder wasnt even that last night!

Even when the koivu line was productive last year Alot of us knew we had to trade Ryder .... but Samsonov screwed our second line last year we had no choice! Now not even Ryder wants to help himself! Get over Ryder already !! trade him for 6th round draft pic

I don't think Koivu will ever leave Montreal.

Who'd want him? He's small, has just played a few full seasons and has never got far in the playoff. Sure he's been captain of the weakest version of the Habs, but I have a hard time seeing that he would atract much atention on the market.

Don't forget about Saku's international play... it's definitely a better showcase than the years on a weak NHL club. And Saku's leadership sklls are never questioned outside from Habs fans.

LOL way better stats eh? Alex has a .89 points per game avg for his career, and Saku is at .82 while his numbers are a little better lets not forget that tanguay has played a good portion of his career with Sakic and Hejduk. And now he's playing with Iggy. Who has Saku played with over the years? Brian Savage, Michael Ryder, and he still had the best season of his career last year with Streit on his wing for a good portion of the season.

Actually, Tanguay has .90 points per game, and Saku is at .81 points per game. It's a big enough difference.

And in case you have forgotten, Saku did play with Recchi for 4 1/2 years. I'd consider Recchi as a pretty damn good player!

You guys are really ridiculous going on and on when his point production really hasn't fallen off that much. He is on pace for 57 points, and while that's not quite as good (but close) as the past 4 years, if you factor in Ryder's decline in goal scoring then Saku's numbers are fine.

I swear any non-habs fans who looked in on this would think we're nuts. Of course every city has these guys, the same type in Ottawa have Spezza pegged as a goat (while any other team would kill to have the guy)

Actually, Tanguay has .90 points per game, and Saku is at .81 points per game. It's a big enough difference.

And in case you have forgotten, Saku did play with Recchi for 4 1/2 years. I'd consider Recchi as a pretty damn good player!

lol well somebodys calculator must be broken, either that or you included playoff stats (i didn't) But comparing Recchi to sakic hejduk, forsberg, and Iginla, is silly. It's not even close. Recchi was never considered to be a superstar, a good player mind you, but not a superstar. tanguays stats are (marginally) better because of the quality of his linemates. If you don't see that then you have to be blind.

Edited by brboo

"Small" is not a big deal in the NHL anymore. That's ridiculous - teams are desperate to pick up anyone. Even Ryder would attract some interest.

If you actually think he has zero value, you're deluded.

Er, what? Of course Koiuv has value. But would it be possible to get anything better in return? That's the question. All 29 other GMs would get Koivu if the price was right, like a late pick. But that's just stupid to speculate about.

Get my point?

Er, what? Of course Koiuv has value. But would it be possible to get anything better in return? That's the question. All 29 other GMs would get Koivu if the price was right, like a late pick. But that's just stupid to speculate about.

Get my point?

When Craig Rivet fetches you a 1st round pick and a solid NHL ready defensman (georges) Then Saku Koivu (down year or not ) is going to get a hell of a lot more. And again this is all speculation because Koivu is not going anywhere, he has a NTC.

I swear any non-habs fans who looked in on this would think we're nuts. Of course every city has these guys, the same type in Ottawa have Spezza pegged as a goat (while any other team would kill to have the guy)

You can hardly compare Saku Koivu to Jason Spezza....not even in the same league as a player skill-wise...not to mention that Spezza is young and getting better.

Edited by sbhatt

When Craig Rivet fetches you a 1st round pick and a solid NHL ready defensman (georges) Then Saku Koivu (down year or not ) is going to get a hell of a lot more. And again this is all speculation because Koivu is not going anywhere, he has a NTC.

It seems like there's a language barrier here...

Im not doubting Saku Koivu would bring a first rounder and a fourth liner in return. But it would be insane to trade the captain for that! The same thing could be said about Lecavalier in Tampa and Marleau in San Jose. But the big difference is that Tampa has Richards and San Jose have Thornton.

If the Canadiens could get Koivu to wave his no-trade clause what could the Habs get in return that would be concider an upgrade? In my opinion: None.

Therefore, along with the fact that he has a no-trade clause, Saku Koivu will not leave Montreal via trade.

Get it now?

It seems like there's a language barrier here...

Im not doubting Saku Koivu would bring a first rounder and a fourth liner in return. But it would be insane to trade the captain for that! The same thing could be said about Lecavalier in Tampa and Marleau in San Jose. But the big difference is that Tampa has Richards and San Jose have Thornton.

If the Canadiens could get Koivu to wave his no-trade clause what could the Habs get in return that would be concider an upgrade? In my opinion: None.

Therefore, along with the fact that he has a no-trade clause, Saku Koivu will not leave Montreal via trade.

Get it now?

Well actually, you said that he would fetch a late rounder, thats what I was arguing, along with the fact you said "who would want him". Now your saying you have no doubt that we would get a 1st rounder, and a 4th liner. So there is no language barrier, you just didn't say that earlier, all you said was who would want him. You just have to clarify what you're talking about. That's all.

Well actually, you said that he would fetch a late rounder, thats what I was arguing, along with the fact you said "who would want him". Now your saying you have no doubt that we would get a 1st rounder, and a 4th liner. So there is no language barrier, you just didn't say that earlier, all you said was who would want him. You just have to clarify what you're talking about. That's all.

But I do think he would fetch a late rounder... (Or better)

Im wondering who'd want him. (Since the price would be a lot more than a late rounder. (Or better)

But I do think he would fetch a late rounder... (Or better)

Im wondering who'd want him. (Since the price would be a lot more than a late rounder. (Or better)

Anahiem for Edmonton's first, so he could play with Selamme. Be my pick. Then we need to pick up a 2nd line centre, just like last year. Difference being, last year we had Pleks learning his trade as a top line centre. Be nice if Higgins had developed as a centre. Creates a real hole to fill. Have to move prospects at that point, or Edmontons first to get a bonafide centre, and RW if possible. Not an easy task.

Might be best not to shoot the load for a cup this year and give it another to mature. Rookies dinner may have sewn the deal for Gainey and he may decide to let that maturity happen. Maybe another Calder, with O'Byrne leading the defence corp. See who develops best out of the youngsters in the next year before selling off the extras. We will get some playoff experiance, but even if we bring in some fire power, a cup win would be a real surprise. I do expect a few though in the next 5 years. The kids are great, but not at their peaks yet.

Time is running out.....something drastic has to happen to either get Sucko to play better....or for him to not play as much. I'd like to see Sucko out, Chips in for a game or two at this stage.

In saku'S defense, I think his line has been playing better of late. I noticed that Saku and Ryder as well as Higgins played a good game on Saturday even though the Habs got their as.ses wooped, and again last night, Saku and Higgins played well.

I'm just hoping that when they finally do completely break out of this slump, saku's line is gonna explode!

Saku is up and down like a toilet seat!

He will never be any better than a second line centre and I really think Bob should look at doing something with him. Its to fish or cut bait and we've stuck with this guy long enough. Lets get someone that knows what it is to be a captain! :clap:

Saku is up and down like a toilet seat!

He will never be any better than a second line centre and I really think Bob should look at doing something with him. Its to fish or cut bait and we've stuck with this guy long enough. Lets get someone that knows what it is to be a captain! :clap:

Knows what it is to be a captain?

You really believe he is not the leader of this team?

Knows what it is to be a captain?

You really believe he is not the leader of this team?

on the ice, It's clearly kovy who's in charge !!