Arguments about Koivu

SAKS-AVENUE

Stats can say what you want them to say. He is -11 in his last 12 games as well. So take that for what it is worth.

We all know he can play better, we all hope he will play better because if he raises the level of the second line

then this team is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Fair enough....just looking at the upside.... .he's not as broken as everyone makes him out to be.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough....just looking at the upside.... .he's not as broken as everyone makes him out to be.

I agree, many people will pick on him, but it's not like it's unjustified! He is NOT having a good year.

I just hope he can turn it around. There are still 28 games left. C'Mon Saku, get your act together!

I think there's a difference between the man and the hockey player.

The man Saku Koivu is great. He loves Montreal, he's taking a lot of critics but smiles anyway and he gives a lot back to the community. Losing such a man is a loss any day.

But his play hasn't been that good al season. I think that goes for the whole line. And they only one that can change this fact is the hockey player Saku Koivu. He's the veteran. He's the captain. He's still the verry soul of the Montreal Canadiens. Ryder scores 30 goal in a season. Everybody happy. Higgins getting 20 and just as many helpers. Without Saku Koivu this won't happen. Ryder will never be anything but a goal-getter. Higgins could be more on his own but he's still in a phase where he needs support.

They day things will go Koivu's way the Habs will have two great lines. I hope it happens soon.

I don't think he is broken, I just think he has not played well.

Who knows, maybe it is because he was the best player and nobody could match his excellence before, but

now there are all these kids flying around doing things we have not seen in 20 years and we expect to much.

He is not as dynamic as he used to be, but the guy is 33 years old, has blown out his knee 3-4 times and went

through gruelling radiation treatments 5 years ago. It would not be a slight against him if his body says no more.

I think it falls somewhere in between to be honest. I hope he can hook himself up to the rejuvenation machine for the next

couple of years and be standing at centre ice to accept a Cup.

They day things will go Koivu's way the Habs will have two great lines. I hope it happens soon.

...and a chance to make it far into the playoffs!

I don't think he is broken, I just think he has not played well.

Who knows, maybe it is because he was the best player and nobody could match his excellence before, but

now there are all these kids flying around doing things we have not seen in 20 years and we expect to much.

He is not as dynamic as he used to be, but the guy is 33 years old, has blown out his knee 3-4 times and went

through gruelling radiation treatments 5 years ago. It would not be a slight against him if his body says no more.

I think it falls somewhere in between to be honest. I hope he can hook himself up to the rejuvenation machine for the next

couple of years and be standing at centre ice to accept a Cup.

I think he can, but he has to be used properly. He cannot carry the team or maybe not even his line. He has to be in a supportive role...as a 2nd line centre. He also has to be surrounded by guys who are playing with more energy than him, and can score. Right now he is not.

I think he if he is used properly he will be more relaxed, more energized, and will still be able to contribute offensively and as a leader.

A deal for Hossa could make it all happen :)

I agree, many people will pick on him, but it's not like it's unjustified! He is NOT having a good year.

I just hope he can turn it around. There are still 28 games left. C'Mon Saku, get your act together!

Exactly and the time as come to turn this season around for Saku.

Alright Koivu has 39 points so far. He could EASILY have 5 more assists if Higgins could have scored 5 more goals this season.

Usually, Saku makes his wingers look better, but sometimes, the little sparkle must comes from his wingers and this season, Koivu's wingers are slumping ALL THE WAY.

Don't blame only Saku. GO HABS GO

I think he's slowed down and has lost a step or 2[or 3]. He's #2 on the Habs in PIM's only behind Kostopoulos................... :angry:

Looking at his PIM's ....he's at 73 (so far this year...in only 53 games we'll see if that number goes up tonight..... :rolleyes: ) while last year (81 games) had only 74 PIM's.....

I'd like to see Chipchura or Grabovski recalled to centre Higgins and S. Kost, while Koivu thinks about how shitty his effort has been from the press box.

Good thing you dont have anything to do with our team.

Good thing you dont have anything to do with our team.

The people who do have soemthing to do with the team need to stop sitting on their hands and give the little bastard the swift kick in the pants he needs. Benching him for a few minutes didn't seem to light much of a fire...it's time to take it ot the next level.

He's been mediocre at best for two months now...he's been so bad at times it's downright sickening. The gloves are off now...he needs to shape up, or BG needs to consider shipping out.

The people who do have soemthing to do with the team need to stop sitting on their hands and give the little bastard the swift kick in the pants he needs. Benching him for a few minutes didn't seem to light much of a fire...it's time to take it ot the next level.

Let me ask you:

Do you think he just isnt trying out there? Do you think if he is "scolded" by the coaches that he will stop being lazy? He is not a rookie, or a poor-attitude player. He is a player who is slumping badly, probably tired, and surrounded by linemates who really are doing anything either. Why not bash Higgins? He's got younger legs and is doing even less than Koivu..

he was only on for the leafs first goal

Wow...that's a true testament to how much the guy sucks now: instead of being able to point out Koivu's offensive contributions (there weren't any), the rallying cry from his blindly devoted followers is "he was only on the ice for one Leafs goal against" :lool:

Why not bash Higgins? He's got younger legs and is doing even less than Koivu..

I'm none too impressed with Higgins, but he gets a little more leeway because he isn't

A) a long-serving veteran

B) the captain of the team

C) the highest paid forward on the team

Edited by sbhatt

Wow...that's a true testament to how much the guy sucks now: instead of being able to point out Koivu's offensive contributions (there weren't any), the rallying cry from his blindly devoted followers is "he was only on the ice for one Leafs goal against" :lool:

Actually it was meant to point out how ignorant your comments were but it looks like you made my point for me.

Everyone including Koivu knows he isn't playing up to his ability but saying "he sucks" is pathetic and wrong.

Actually it was meant to point out how ignorant your comments were but it looks like you made my point for me.

Everyone including Koivu knows he isn't playing up to his ability but saying "he sucks" is pathetic and wrong.

He is sucking out there....what is wrong with saying that? He is not playing well at either end of the ice, is prone to taking incredibly selfish penalties, is mediocre on the draw most nights....to me that sucks. Perhaps you're mistaking 'he sucks' as my opinion of his entire career? Because I certainly don't think he has always sucked...he just sucks NOW.

He is sucking out there....what is wrong with saying that? He is not playing well at either end of the ice, is prone to taking incredibly selfish penalties, is mediocre on the draw most nights....to me that sucks. Perhaps you're mistaking 'he sucks' as my opinion of his entire career? Because I certainly don't think he has always sucked...he just sucks NOW.

I think it was the little bastard line that set everybody off

I'd like to see Chipchura or Grabovski recalled to centre Higgins and S. Kost, while Koivu thinks about how shitty his effort has been from the press box.

Dude, You can't bench your Captain. You just don't do that! It just isn't right! BY giving him only 11 minutes and 47 seconds tuesday, Carbo got his message out to Koivu. The ball is in Saku's court. It's up to him to do something about it! Benching him won't change anything!

This may sound crazy, BUT - what about experimenting with Higgins as C (who has played C before) and Koivu on the wing? :blink: Maybe the lessened responsibility would be good for Saks at this point, and the extra duties would help shake Higgins out of his funk. I realize that Saks is decent on faceoffs, but who's to say higgins isn't, and you could always leave Saks at C just for the draws.

This at least wouldn't humiliate the players involved, while also jolting them significantly.

Just a thought...

I think that the reason why we are being so harsh on Koivu is that we still see him as a 1st line centre. Koivu has been replaced by Plex as the 1st line centre. He is now our 2nd line centre, and as such, we should compare hiim to other 2nd line centres in the league.

Just for fun, i checked out the stats of the other 30 players who act as 2nd line centre for their respective teams, here are the top 10.

1. Malkin (Pitts) - 66pts

2. Brière (Phil) - 52pts

3. Stall (Car) - 48pts

4. Richards (TB) - 47pts

5. Fisher (Ott) - 42pts

6. Drury (NYR) - 39pts(has more goals than Saku)

7. KOIVU (MTL) - 39pts

8. Modano (Dal) - 37pts

9. Legwand (Nash) - 37pts

10. Kozlov (Wash) - 37pts

As you can see, Koivu is doing pretty well as a 2nd line centre. Considering that the average 2nd line centre in the league has 32.07 points, he is well above average. Now, if only Saku could accept the fact that he is no longer "The Man" and accept his reduced responsibilities, I think he could do well!

Edited by Habsfan