Arguments about Koivu

SAKS-AVENUE

You guys with the Saku complexes better get used to him cuz he'll be a Habs for another 5-10 years or whenever he retires. Even if he slows down he'd still be a useful vet presence with his face off ability and passing.

5-10 years?

At his age, it's max 5 years. But I wouldn't be suprised if he retires after his contract runs up, I never really expected him to play until an old age.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how fans and (francophone) media commentators feel equipped to pronounce on Koivu's 'lack of leadership', while I've never heard anyone actually involved with the sport on the ice say anything bad about Koivu. Gainey praised him as a champion in waiting. Rivet (a leader in his own right) loved him. Recchi (another winner) loved him. Corson (blood and guts all the way) loved him. Kostopolous referred to him earlier this year as 'the best captain in the league.' He's also never failed to step up and score big goals (e.g., shootout wins, anyone?) and be a blood-and-guts playoff performer (how about outplaying Thorton with a bruised lung?).

Yep, he's always suffered from protracted slumps that keep his stats down. Yep, he's having a turd of a season. Yep, he's developed this tic of stupid penalties (which I strongly suspect is related to his slowing down a bit). Yep, all things considered he's probably on the downside. And since that knee blow-out he's never really been a bona fide #1 C. But let's remember that many of the same things could have been said of Kovalev last season. And I still don't see how this bad season translates into 'hating' the guy or disparaging what he's brought over the years.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

What would Bob had said if his plan was to have Koivu around for a bit until the needed puzzle pieces were clearer? I'd say about the same. Is that not a quote from preseason? Bet he wouldn't have traded Ryder at that point either. Stop digging the answer is obvious. A bigger, better centre would be a dream come true. We have wanted one for years, since the smurfs. Pleks is more important to the team now than Saku. Therefore if we are to get a big centre it would be to replace Saku, not to demote him to 3rd line. Guess you don't want any of the top centers on the market? Rather a wing for Saku? I'd prefer both. Tangauy and Richards.

What would Bob had said if his plan was to have Koivu around for a bit until the needed puzzle pieces were clearer? I'd say about the same. Is that not a quote from preseason? Bet he wouldn't have traded Ryder at that point either. Stop digging the answer is obvious. A bigger, better centre would be a dream come true. We have wanted one for years, since the smurfs. Pleks is more important to the team now than Saku. Therefore if we are to get a big centre it would be to replace Saku, not to demote him to 3rd line. Guess you don't want any of the top centers on the market? Rather a wing for Saku? I'd prefer both. Tangauy and Richards.

Who, me? No, I'd love an upgrade on Koivu. In fact I was arguing earlier this season that we should trade him for Marleau. What I was addressing what the unfathomable concept of hating Saku Koivu - which people on this board have claimed to do and which I find utterly insane - and also the endless attacks on him as supposedly a 'bad captain' and poor 'leader' by people who don't have a clue about what he's actually like.

Who, me? No, I'd love an upgrade on Koivu. In fact I was arguing earlier this season that we should trade him for Marleau. What I was addressing what the unfathomable concept of hating Saku Koivu - which people on this board have claimed to do and which I find utterly insane - and also the endless attacks on him as supposedly a 'bad captain' and poor 'leader' by people who don't have a clue about what he's actually like.

:clap: This is pretty much my view, I'm by no means the biggest Koivu fan, I've argued for him and against him on this board. The bolded part especially is where people here tend to go wonky.

:clap: This is pretty much my view, I'm by no means the biggest Koivu fan, I've argued for him and against him on this board. The bolded part especially is where people here tend to go wonky.

sorry tool - not wonky just see what we see. Try taking off the rose-coloured glasses.

sorry tool - not wonky just see what we see. Try taking off the rose-coloured glasses.

:lol: So is this why I shouldn't get in a pissing contest with a 'skunk', you'll insult me to the core with stinging barbs like 'tool'? Do you mind actually responding to the post I was agreeing with, or can you only muster a cliché like 'rose-coloured glasses' as your argument? Off to bed now, little one.

:lol: So is this why I shouldn't get in a pissing contest with a 'skunk', you'll insult me to the core with stinging barbs like 'tool'? Do you mind actually responding to the post I was agreeing with, or can you only muster a cliché like 'rose-coloured glasses' as your argument? Off to bed now, little one.

Awwwww I am soooooo sorry. :unsure:

I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...
Guinness is the breakfst of Champions

I like this one. I would say the Rogger Marris breakfast. Anyone saw 61??

Bologna and eggs all together in the same pan.

I would too add the Guiness, but a hockey player would surely have an heart attack after two shifts.

What a bunch of sissies.

I don't think health pill, sudafed and green vegetables are the right thing to eat to keep your animal instincts.

I wouldn't put too much importance in that list.

If these people had known anything about hockey, they would have put Beliveau at the Top of the list.

What the hell is Sundin doing in the number 8 spot? the Leaves haven'T won anything since he was traded to Toronto!

Edited by Habsfan

If these people had known anything about hockey, they would have put Beliveau at the Top of the list.

I didn't realize that Beliveau started playing in the 21 years since Yzerman joined the league. That's the criteria they say they used...

This is a bull list, where areModano, Ryan Smyth, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Iginla, Brind'amour, Lecavalier.

I would take all of those instead of Koivu.

And nobody in there eats burned baloney and eggs in that list maybe except Stevens, this is my criteria.