THN opinion on Bernier

Habs77

no.24 -Steve Bernier

Height:6-2 1/2 Weight- 233lbs (jesus!) Shoots- right  

Central Scouting: no.11 North American Skater

-People say there's a touch of Mike Bossy in him and Mike Bossy's scoring feats secured his ticket into the Hall of fame.

"This guy did it every night for me. You are looking at a pure goal scorer."said one scout. "He is just a great, great player."

Bernier has loads of talent and is already physically mature for his age. His skating was considered suspect early in the season, but he showed scouts at the world under- 18 championship there's little wrong with his wheels. "He's a pure talent" said a scout.

Bernier had a so-so first half of season, but came on strong in the second half, He's creative and can be a take charge type of forward. "It's all puck skills with this guy"said a scout. "he handles the puck very well and obviously he can score. You can see that. He's more offense than anthing else and he can do it well, he has finesse, he's so-so defensively, but that's the trade-off."

The Hockey News says: Offensive forward.

Not bad... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bernier is a complete package and Andre Savard wants him. Ive been hearing AS wants another first rounder so he can get both Parise and Bernier.

Bernier can play all types of game but hes inconsistent. Sometimes he looks like Rick Nash, other times he looks like Chad Kilger ^^.

I think we should start to focus on the 2nd round as well.

Remember, this draft is deep in prospects, not deep in top end talent. That's next year's draft.

A few names that I would enjoy following as they journey to the habs's lineup in 2-3 years:

Forwards

Ryan Stone

Jeremy Collinton

M.A. Bernier (if only for the name if we don't get the 1st Bernier)

John Hennessy

Defensemen

Michael Barinka

Shawn Belle

Paul Bissonette

Alex Sulzer

I think 1 of each would be good.

However, it does depend on the first round pick (s).

If we draft a physical defencemen (Phaneuf), a gritty forward (Getzlaf), or a scoring forward (Parise), then we draft 2 of the others in with the remaining picks.

However, we do have 3 picks in the 2nd round (our own, the SJ Shark's {I think} and Philadelphia's {For sure}). If we do get an extra pick somewhere, I hope we use it well.

We'll have at least one good body in a few years time.

BTW, Do we really need centres? Ribeiro is just coming into his own, and unless he's traded to another team with some baggage for a first rounder or something similar, I'd be content to leave him on L2. or even L3 if Perreault's on his hot streak.

I can't wait for 2004-2005 :hlogo: