O'Byrne and Kostopoulos arrested

les_glorieux

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I really couldn't tell you how much blow that would be. And you know this how?

As you know, I have just retire from the music industry......... :B)

I personally only smoke pot, for medical reasons. It keeps me mentally balanced ^_^

Oh, and have been known too put back a drink or two :king: Jager flip the Lotus..... :rolleyes:

Rookie dinners aside, wtf is a rook doing wandering around the clubs at 3 am when

a) he has just rejoined the team

b) we are there for the hockey

c) we are in a mimi slump?

A dinner, a few drinks out. OK, but 3 am at a boozer for pro athletes?

Have you never been on a business trip, had a couple days off, and used them to party in that foreign city? When you have a few days off at home, a.k.a. weekends, do you not party? Why should we expect them to be in bed early every night. They're human, regardless of what they do and how much they're paid.

Okay boys and girls this just in.... Ive just thought of the ultimate nickname to use from now on............

Tom Kopstopoulos

:lol:

:hlogo:

lol. Well done, man!

A good lawyer will state he picked it up out side and was looking in her cell to find the owner, possession of stolen property at the most.

now that is an excellent point. However why did he say it was his girlfriends and then not know her name? just a question?

now that is an excellent point. However why did he say it was his girlfriends and then not know her name? just a question?

Good point. She probably wouldn't give him her number and he took it up a notch and was after her number.

I still don'T get how some of you are wondering what they were doing out at 3AM.

Jezus christ of Latterday saints, some of you are really anal.

We are talking about young men in their 20's and 30's who are out for a night on the town. They know they won't be playing for another 48 hours, and are looking forward to this night out since the beginning of the season.

Let's not fool ourselves here, we are talking about young men who have a shitload of money to spend, so they buy 2,000$ bottles of wine and run up the bill so the rookies can pay for it. The other thing we should all know is that these parties usuaaly turn into DRINK FESTS. The guys get drunk. It's as simple as that! What do guys do when they get drunk, they do stupid things.

For those of you who are soooo eager to judgeO'Byrne and Kostopoulos, are you gonna tell me that you,ve never gotten drunk beofer and done some stupid thing?? I say bull sh.it!

Had O'Byrne and Kostopoulos done something really wrong, don't you think Bob Gainey would have suspended them? There was NO CURFEW on Sunday night, that.'s why they were out til 3AM. Also, let's not forget that the cops in Florida aren't like the cops in Canada. Had this occured in Montreal or some other Canadian city, the cop would have looked at the player and said: "get me four tickets to a Habs game, and we'll forget this ever happened!"

But down in Florida, where the crime rates are much higher than in Canada (there are 3 times as many murders in Tampa compared to Montreal) yet it is a town barely 1/2 the size of Montreal. Cops in the States don't take shit from anybody. They like to have people respect their authority, whereas our cops over here are a bit more relaxed.

This whole story has been blown way out of proportion by the montreal media(what else is new!)!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Habsfan

I still don'T get how some of you are wondering what they were doing out at 3AM.

We are talking about young men in their 20's and 30's who are out for a night on the town. They know they won't be playing for another 48 hours, and are looking forward to this night out since the beginning of the season.

Let's not fool ourselves here, we are talking about young men who have a shitload of money to spend, so they buy 2,000$ bottles of wine and run up the bill so the rookies can pay for it. The other thing we should all know is that these parties usuaaly turn into DRINK FESTS. The guys get drunk. It's as simple as that! What do guys do when they get drunk, they do stupid things.

For those of you who are soooo eager to judgeO'Byrne and Kostopoulos, are you gonna tell me that you,ve never gotten drunk beofer and done some stupid thing?? I say bull sh.it!

Had O'Byrne and Kostopoulos done something really wrong, don't you think Bob Gainey would have suspended them? There was NO CURFEW on Sunday night, that.'s why they were out til 3AM. Also, let's not forget that the cops in Florida aren't like the cops in Canada. Had this occured in Montreal or some other Canadian city, the cop would have looked at the player and said: "get me four tickets to a Habs game, and we'll forget this ever happened!"

But down in Florida, where the crime rates are much higher than in Canada (there are 3 times as many murders in Tampa compared to Montreal) yet it is a town barely 1/2 the size of Montreal. Cops in the States don't take shit from anybody. They like to have people respect their authority, whereas our cops over here are a bit more relaxed.

This whole story has been blown way out of proportion by the montreal media(what else is new!)!! :rolleyes:

amen to that. this is so silly. two thoughts after reading the press this morning:

-Red Fisher is a complete hypocrite. if this had happended to serge and larry (and i know they did much worse), he would written a pithy little article about boys needing to blow off steam.

-Hickey is also a knob for accusing Guy of being soft on his players. Why does he need to rip them publicly? (for hickey's sake of course). they are adults and they don't need a curfew. he (and they) know full well that this team will fire any player that lets his personal life become a distraction (way better players have been kicked out of this city in the prime of their career.)

Yeah, yeah. I'm all for having a few drinks, and yes, I've been on the business trip. However, I have never been paid to do a job so ultimately dependent on my physical condition as a professional athlete. It's not like we're the Wings, riding high and who can afford a 10-game losing streak. But hey, let's cut him all the slack he needs - after all, when you look a better prospect than Bobby Orr, are a seasoned veteran of about 15 games, and just coming off the injured list, who needs to keep a watch on things, eh?

I'm not saying the Habs should all be doom-and-gloom automatons until we win the Cup - far from it. But being human surely doesn't 100% whitewash everything? And yes, the media is full of the most petty, sad-sack chumps desperate to make a name for themselves by dragging other names through the mud.

On a side note, I have no issue whatsoever with the 'morality' of getting set up by some knob glory-hunting pigs or barfly. I don't think he should be suspended, benched, traded, whatever. I feel like the Dad whose son comes home 3 sheets the night before a big interview, you want to whack him one and say 'What the feck is this all about then?', before you make him pour you a whiskey and watch you drink it, slowly...

Amen Habsfan.

Your whole post was bang on.

It's like some people around here have never experienced night life and/or they are religious conservatives ^_^

Edited by Cataclaw

I don't think it's the night life or having fun people have a problem with. It's the going to jail part of that people have a problem with.

It's also funny what it says about Kostopolous, resisting without violence. The last month that's how he sticks up for his team mates on the ice as well. he better watch out or SK and Gorges are taking his role.

Maybe the coke in her purse was worth a couple grand. Or maybe he paid her for service rendered, he was less than satisfied

and ripped the purse from her hands to get his money back.

I like how people are considered horrible for assuming O'Byne's guilt on this thread, but it's perfectly okay to berate the victim and imply that she's a cokehead and/or a prostitute.

BTW, as per other valuables in the purse that could cause this to be considered grand theft... her credit cards. The total credit limit of all her credit cards in the purse could be calculated as an absolute value, and range well into the thousands.

Hey, the count your credit card limit as debt at some banks when you apply for loans... even if you have a great credit rating, pay off your bills before interest gets charged, and currently have a zero balance.

Regardless of how it happened it could be quite the problem for O'Byrne.

"O'Byrne, who was recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday, finds himself in a difficult position because he was charged with stealing a woman's purse. It's a felony and he could be barred from travelling to the United States if he is convicted. That would effectively end his career in North American professional hockey"

I like how people are considered horrible for assuming O'Byne's guilt on this thread, but it's perfectly okay to berate the victim and imply that she's a cokehead and/or a prostitute.

BTW, as per other valuables in the purse that could cause this to be considered grand theft... her credit cards. The total credit limit of all her credit cards in the purse could be calculated as an absolute value, and range well into the thousands.

Hey, the count your credit card limit as debt at some banks when you apply for loans... even if you have a great credit rating, pay off your bills before interest gets charged, and currently have a zero balance.

Settle down. It was called a joke :rolleyes:

B.I.N.G.O. Cripes imagine a couple of young guys with money in their pockets and booze in their blood getting in to mischief. It's almost like some folks here were never young and drunk :lol:

It's highly unlikely that credit cards would be taken into account since you are SUPPOSED to ID anyone paying with a card and require a proper signature. It's also unlikely the police knew the actual value of the cards before laying this charge.

I think the grand theft charge is rather extreme and it would not surprise me in the least to see the charges dropped by prosecutors...worst case, they probably plea out to a misdemeanor...

While the extreme case is seeing a player barred from entering the US I think that would also be an unlikely scenario...

It would be really nice to hear the actual sequence of events that led to this happening but it's likely we won't hear about it for some time, if ever...especially if it is dropped or plea bargained down to a lower charge. I'm also curious if a civil suit will result...I can already see the writing on the wall for a "mental anguish" civil suit.

The more I think about this the more I think it will have zero effect on the team. I mean if Perzhogin can be forgiven for nearly decapitating a player out of anger (while sober)...O'Byrne will get past a drunken bit of stupidity. If it becomes a media circus in Montreal, fire him off to Hamilton for a month or even the rest of the season...he'll survive so will the team. The other thought is to trade him in a package, but I am certain this will have no long term effect on the Habs.

if 20$ is grand-theft, then what is petty larceny? Charging someone with Grand theft because they happened to have a high limit on their visa seems to be making a mockery of the system. Basically, O'byrn is being charged with the same crime as someone who car-jacks ... pretty pathetic IMO!

Regardless of how it happened it could be quite the problem for O'Byrne.

"O'Byrne, who was recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday, finds himself in a difficult position because he was charged with stealing a woman's purse. It's a felony and he could be barred from travelling to the United States if he is convicted. That would effectively end his career in North American professional hockey"

I really... really.. really doubt that would happen.