O'Byrne and Kostopoulos arrested

les_glorieux

Well I hope you have that same attitude when some punk in a bar goes through your wife / girlfriends / sisters purse and mines it for personal information.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone to takes someone else's purse (who they don't know), leave a bar, and go through it. Period.

Its is illegal. It is classless. It is unethical. It is the sign of someone who thinks they are above commonly acceptable behavior.

Put yourself in the woman's shoes for a minute. She probably couldn't care less if he is a hockey player from Canada. In her mind, he is a thieving creep and potential stalker.

The fact that he was drunk and a hockey player is no excuse, imo. I certainly wouldn't blow it off and I am sure Gainey won't either. The law might be the least of their issues once Gainey gets a hold of them.

I would not be in the least surprised for Gainey to suspend them both without pay until the matter is resolved.

I've lost my wallet... had my girlfriends phone stolen, and was out with some girls who had their purses stolen from our booth... I've been on the victims side, and it's not fun... All I'm saying is that you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope you have that same attitude when some punk in a bar goes through your wife / girlfriends / sisters purse and mines it for personal information.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone to takes someone else's purse (who they don't know), leave a bar, and go through it. Period.

Its is illegal. It is classless. It is unethical. It is the sign of someone who thinks they are above commonly acceptable behavior.

Put yourself in the woman's shoes for a minute. She probably couldn't care less if he is a hockey player from Canada. In her mind, he is a thieving creep and potential stalker.

The fact that he was drunk and a hockey player is no excuse, imo. I certainly wouldn't blow it off and I am sure Gainey won't either. The law might be the least of their issues once Gainey gets a hold of them.

I would not be in the least surprised for Gainey to suspend them both without pay until the matter is resolved.

Are you kidding me? Guilty til proven innocent in your world?

How ######ing judgemental is that. Were you there? Do you know the whole story?

What you need to do is wait until you hear the whole story until you judge an individual on their actions.

How about you put yourself in O'Byrne's shoes. You think an athlete has never been wrongly accused?

I know police can be assholes, I also know that drunk people can also escalate something that is not a big deal.

But once again, that is an assumption. We don't even know if he was drunk, we don't know if Kostopolous was drunk.

That's a pretty high horse you are riding on, judging on assumption. If he is guilty or comes clean then I will put in my two cents

on the individual and his character. But something from this story is missing and I am sure as hell not going to judge them

until I find out what it is.

I think it would be best to wait until we get O'Byrne's side of the story before he is crucified.

Ya think?

Edited by Wamsley01

All I can say is:

1.Thank God Bob gainey is in charge. He will know exactly how to deal with the players in a way that minimizes damage all around.

2. This is an enormous test for Carbo. Can he re-focus the team for a crucial stretch of games? The season may depend on just this happening.

I'm really pissed off at this, but this is Montreal I guess - circus mantadory.

All I can say is:

1.Thank God Bob gainey is in charge. He will know exactly how to deal with the players in a way that minimizes damage all around.

2. This is an enormous test for Carbo. Can he re-focus the team for a crucial stretch of games? The season may depend on just this happening.

I'm really pissed off at this, but this is Montreal I guess - circus mantadory.

It is unfortunate. But I really think this is being blown out of proportion.

BTW, what was in her purse?

Petty theft is classified as theft of an item or items with a total monetary value under the amount of $500.

Anything more than $500 is considered grand theft, in which case the charges will be significantly more serious.

Did she have a Gucci bag? Or are they going to classify her cell phone as worth over $500? Otherwise the Grand theft charge is confusing.

Well, it sets them up with a ready made excuse should things go wrong. Let's hope they don't even consider using a crutch and they go out and take

care of business.

actually Grand theft can be as little as 100.00 depending on circumstances.

I found a web site that describes it pretty well, and it is a serious charge. i hope this is all some misunderstanding and gets straightened out asap. http://www.miami-criminal-lawyer.net/html/grand-theft.html

Are you kidding me? Guilty til proven innocent in your world?

How ######ing judgemental is that. Were you there? Do you know the whole story?

What you need to do is wait until you hear the whole story until you judge an individual on their actions.

How about you put yourself in O'Byrne's shoes. You think an athlete has never been wrongly accused?

I know police can be assholes, I also know that drunk people can also escalate something that is not a big deal.

But once again, that is an assumption. We don't even know if he was drunk, we don't know if Kostopolous was drunk.

That's a pretty high horse you are riding on, judging on assumption. If he is guilty or comes clean then I will put in my two cents

on the individual and his character. But something from this story is missing and I am sure as hell not going to judge them

until I find out what it is.

Ya think?

I never said he was guilty. I said that he should not just be assumed innocent (since he is rich, he didn't need the money, so he must be innocent argument) and he should not be just granted clemency (whats the big deal, so he stole a person's purse, he was probably just fooling around argument).

I also said that Gainey needs to take action immediately, based on his assessment of what happened, not the legal shit. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that. If Gainey feels there are any grounds for these charges (and I don't buy into the poor O'Byrne was innocent but harassed by the police argument), he should suspend O'byrne, regardless if his lawyer manages to get him off. Hell, team's suspend players for being late for a practice. :)

actually Grand theft can be as little as 100.00 depending on circumstances.

I found a web site that describes it pretty well, and it is a serious charge. i hope this is all some misunderstanding and gets straightened out asap. http://www.miami-criminal-lawyer.net/html/grand-theft.html

Maybe she had an iPhone in there, that is over $300 right there. :)

Probably a 3rd degree type charge.

Maybe she had an iPhone in there, that is over $300 right there. :)

Probably a 3rd degree type charge.

Women walk around with $500+ purses all the time (I know, crazy...they are strange creatures fascinated by shoes and purses). Throw in an Iphone, some cash, 100 bucks worth of top-end cosmetics for touch-ups during the evening, and a 300 dollar wallet to go with the expensive purse....and it becomes grand theft.

Women walk around with $500+ purses all the time (I know, crazy...they are strange creatures fascinated by shoes and purses). Throw in an Iphone, some cash, 100 bucks worth of top-end cosmetics for touch-ups during the evening, and a 300 dollar wallet to go with the expensive purse....and it becomes grand theft.

If it was Miami I would almost assume that she had all that shit in there. But Tampa? Not so much.

But somebody said it could be as little as $100, so the charge would make sense then.

Just a weird situation

I never said he was guilty. I said that he should not just be assumed innocent (since he is rich, he didn't need the money, so he must be innocent argument) and he should not be just granted clemency (whats the big deal, so he stole a person's purse, he was probably just fooling around argument).

I also said that Gainey needs to take action immediately, based on his assessment of what happened, not the legal shit. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that. If Gainey feels there are any grounds for these charges (and I don't buy into the poor O'Byrne was innocent but harassed by the police argument), he should suspend O'byrne, regardless if his lawyer manages to get him off. Hell, team's suspend players for being late for a practice. :)

I took the wrong tone from your email then, sorry.

This story just sounds incomplete to me. So I am trying not to make assumptions.

At one level, you have to laugh at O'Byrne...

He gets back just in time to pay for the rookie dinner, then gets arrested. Probably going to be in shit one way or another with Gainey over all this and is publicly embarrassed.

And I thought Huet had a bad day on Saturday...

Everyone ranting at the police need to take a breather..

Athletes should not get special attention. It is not up to the police to decide if they will go forward with formal charges, it is up to the prosecutors. For all we know, the prosecutors will cut a deal for misdemeanor, have him apologize to the young lady, and do some community service. Might be a good lesson for him.

The cops were called to a theft. A guy was in the parking lot caught with it. He then made up a BS story to them. His drunk buddies were trying to interfere. They were told to back off. One of them didn't so they took him in to.

I really don't see why anyone thinks they cops should have just gone "oh, you are a hockey player? Our apologies, let's just give the girl her purse back and we will call it a day".

Of course, I am from Belleville and remember the Dan Cleary days... I have no trouble believing that hockey players would be out of control and thinking they are above the law. :)

Let's just hope the team doesn't let it distract them and gets there 4 points out of Florida...

thanks for the details, can you source them please? were you there? or do you have a police scanner?

That is unreal.

You have managed to look at it from one side alone and make it work.

How bout this for a situation.

O'Byrne picks up this Tampa bar pig to take back to the Hotel for some fun. While waiting outside with her stuff she has a change of mind and says it is stolen, but yet somehow can point the bouncers to a guy outside who for some reason is staying in the area with stolen goods (yes that is sarcasm).

When the bouncer questions O'Byrne he says it is his girlfriends to avoid complicating the matter (for the night...she would be :) ). When the girl insists she isn't his girlfriend it becomes "Grand theft".

Teammates Kostopoulos and *(#%^#$ seeing all that has happened start to freak out about how stupid it is for a well paid person to steal a bar fly's purse after all that was supposed to take place after the bar. Now others that were with the party have clued in to what has transpired and would like to argue on his behalf, or to maybe clear up the understanding causing the police to "be fearful of the newly formed crowd" around the cruiser.

I think you can figure out the rest.

Edited by Habitforming

Of course, I am from Belleville and remember the Dan Cleary days... I have no trouble believing that hockey players would be out of control and thinking they are above the law. :)

Cleary was different....he had a watchdog on the Belleville force that protected him, and he really deserved punishment for it all.

The guy used to leave his Gold Mastercard at Moviola's nightclub on Friday night and pick it up again on Monday morning.

Cleary had major issues and the Belleville Police force helped him long the way.

Naturally there is alot more to it, but it doesn't need to be said here.

Edited by Habitforming

Here's the funny part:

An ex pro basketball player got arrested in another altercation 20 minutes before the habs players:

In a separate incident, the 6-foot-11 Jones was arrested at the club at 2:36 a.m., a police report states.

Jones, 29, punched a person at the club, causing a minor injury, police say. While being arrested, Jones fell on the hood of a 2000 BMW being pulled up by a valet, causing about $2,000 damage.

While in custody, Jones kicked a window out of police car, a police report states. An officer used a Taser on Jones' leg, and Jones later was restrained.

Jones was charged today with battery, disorderly conduct or obstructing or opposing an officer without violence.

His bail was set at $1,250. He has since been released.

Jones, who played in college at Georgia Tech, played 23 games with the Philadelphia 76ers in 2001-02, averaging 1.1 points per game.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/11/ta...hockey-players/

----

so kicking out a cop car window, being charged with battery and having the police use a taser on you gets you a 1,250 bail. While O'Bryne's bail was 2k.

Welcome to America we hate the foreigners.

That is unreal.

O'Byrne picks up this Tampa bar pig to take back to the Hotel for some fun. While waiting outside with her stuff she has a change of mind and says it is stolen, but yet somehow can point the bouncers to a guy outside who for some reason is staying in the area with stolen goods (yes that is sarcasm).

When the bouncer questions O'Byrne he says it is his girlfriends to avoid complicating the matter (for the night...she would be :) ). When the girl insists she isn't his girlfriend it becomes "Grand theft".

Teammates Kostopoulos and *(#%^#$ seeing all that has happened start to freak out about how stupid it is for a well paid person to steal a bar fly's purse after all that was supposed to take place after the bar. Now others that were with the party have clued in to what has transpired and would like to argue on his behalf, or to maybe clear up the understanding causing the police to "be fearful of the newly formed crowd" around the cruiser.

LOL.. sure... Maybe he is a kleptomaniac...

I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but I don't buy this BS that it must be the cops, because no hockey player would ever be so stupid. Most hockey players at that age are arrogant buggers who figure they are above the law. I assume the cops are not idiots and while there may be an eventual explanation that gets him off the hook (more likely a good lawyer), I wouldn't count on this being a simple "misunderstanding'. It might not be grand theft, but it was probably dumb.

Why the hell did Vick run a dog operation given he was loaded? Because he is an idiot. No conspiracy involved. :)

Cleary was different....he had a watchdog on the Belleville force that protected him, and he really deserved punishment for it all.

The guy used to leave his Gold Mastercard at Moviola's nightclub on Friday night and pick it up again on Monday morning.

Cleary had major issues and the Belleville Police force helped him long the way.

Naturally there is alot more to it, but it doesn't need to be said here.

Cleary was an alcoholic on arrival in Belleville. I am glad he cleaned up his act, but he wasn't really unusual, just at the extreme end.

My niece has been dating a current Bull on and off and believe me, many (not all) of those kids need a lot of mentoring in life. As my friend likes to say, most professional hockey players brains are 10 years younger then their bodies. :lol:

Hopefully O'Byrne treats this as a life lesson regardless of the outcome.

(and oh.. Moviola's brings back memories... :) )

It is unfortunate. But I really think this is being blown out of proportion.

BTW, what was in her purse?

Petty theft is classified as theft of an item or items with a total monetary value under the amount of $500.

Anything more than $500 is considered grand theft, in which case the charges will be significantly more serious.

Did she have a Gucci bag? Or are they going to classify her cell phone as worth over $500? Otherwise the Grand theft charge is confusing.

Well, it sets them up with a ready made excuse should things go wrong. Let's hope they don't even consider using a crutch and they go out and take

care of business.

She must have had a big bag of coke and didn't want to share.

I'm sure we have all read the same article. Not a whole lot is said in it and the police reports are very vague. I'm sure they were picking up on the girl, things got weird, the guys grabbed her purse and were farting around when all of the sudden the cops got called. You know what they say.....It's all fun and games until the cops are called.

This will blow over fast.

That is unreal.

I bet thats pretty much what transpired there! O'Byrne being from BC if he wants trouble he will get trouble! not a mere purse theft! .... I bet ya someone told that Wh... "Hey those guys are 'rich' pro athletes.. You might get some extra money by pulling that stunt!!"

Ryan makes 615,000 dollars per year I don't think this was theft but it does not look good for the organization to have a top prospect and at least 1 regular out carousing and causing trouble on the road. I would think they should have been in bed by 3:00 am not fighting with cops.

I wish some people would read an entire thread before posting. Had you done so, you would've realized that it was the Rookie supper that had been planned months in advance!

These are 20-something guys who were looking to have fun. Why aren't they allowed to go out. It's not like they were playing the next day.

Like a few people said, let's wait and see what the Habs have to say before we go off and crucify the poor guy!

Edited by Habsfan